Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125114 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12585 on: June 22, 2011, 02:39:46 am »

I can imagine the interviews...

So, what stuff're you into?

"Uhh... I've always fancied adamantium..."

NEEEXT!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12586 on: June 22, 2011, 02:41:18 am »

Then my own newbie questions:

* How much slacking should be tolerated? I wince whenever I have over 10 idlers although I think I'm overreacting because my fortress, as I already mentioned, is well-off.
* I had another question as well but I forgot it on the way... sorry :)

It's more personal preference. I mostly let mine slack off a lot, due to there being not that much hauling work outside of sieges and dumping, once the fortress is well-established and built up. Some players will find every little work to make sure they're eternally jobbing around.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12587 on: June 22, 2011, 02:42:17 am »

"So, you like copper, short swords, green glass, trousers and dog leather?"

"Err, yes.  I also like tradition."

All Hail the new Baron, Urist McLowbrow!

How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12588 on: June 22, 2011, 02:45:03 am »

* How much slacking should be tolerated? I wince whenever I have over 10 idlers although I think I'm overreacting because my fortress, as I already mentioned, is well-off.

It's more personal preference. I mostly let mine slack off a lot, due to there being not that much hauling work outside of sieges and dumping, once the fortress is well-established and built up. Some players will find every little work to make sure they're eternally jobbing around.

Well, I guess I'll just let them enjoy Dwarfing around then. On the other hand, perhaps I should make a Dwarf power plant and find some use for that... KEEP PUMPING MAGGOTS!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12589 on: June 22, 2011, 02:48:54 am »

I set up a glassmaking industry to feed my gemcutters to add to the value of stone crafts.  Collecting sand takes a lot of time.  I also set up lots of stockpiles all over the place, and probably half of all dwarves have mason / furnace operator / mechanic jobs turned on, for building purposes.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12590 on: June 22, 2011, 02:49:49 am »

Well, I guess I'll just let them enjoy Dwarfing around then. On the other hand, perhaps I should make a Dwarf power plant and find some use for that... KEEP PUMPING MAGGOTS!

take note: idler workers...SOCIALIZE...
and Socializing is good and all for positive thoughts like (meet a friend lately) and the like...BUT...
one of them dies...negative "friend died" is in effect.
and if some of them are miners...well, miners are bound to die one way or another. Or woodcutters.
or they die in any case.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12591 on: June 22, 2011, 02:53:06 am »

Glass industry sounds like a good idea. I also enjoy the idea of mass conscription but my fortress is adequately defended as it currently is. Furthermore, I have some equipment issues because no matter how well they're doing otherwise, it seems my dwarves never have enough metals.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12592 on: June 22, 2011, 02:54:50 am »

Glass industry sounds like a good idea. I also enjoy the idea of mass conscription but my fortress is adequately defended as it currently is. Furthermore, I have some equipment issues because no matter how well they're doing otherwise, it seems my dwarves never have enough metals.

You are melting down your goblinite and useless bought metal items that can be turned into equipment?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12593 on: June 22, 2011, 02:58:49 am »

Of course I am not. Do I look that smart to you? (EDIT: Turns out I was, I had this funky conception that goblinite was a separate material but it turns out it's an iron ore)

...thank you. :)

Of course, for the slacker issue, I can always draw inspiration from the real world around us, and the ways politicians use to combat unemployment. Dig ditches, build railroads (however you do that in DF) and so on.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:04:03 am by Kay12 »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12594 on: June 22, 2011, 03:07:12 am »

Of course I am not. Do I look that smart to you? (EDIT: Turns out I was, I had this funky conception that goblinite was a separate material but it turns out it's an iron ore)

...thank you. :)

Of course, for the slacker issue, I can always draw inspiration from the real world around us, and the ways politicians use to combat unemployment. Dig ditches, build railroads (however you do that in DF) and so on.

Obsidian farm!  :D

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12595 on: June 22, 2011, 03:11:41 am »

Actually, Obsidian farming is something I'm really looking forward to. Infinite source of quality rock!

By the way, aren't natural walls better (in the Dwarfs' opinion) than built walls? This is the reason I've been postponing mining too deep, to avoid wrecking quality walls by accident.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12596 on: June 22, 2011, 03:16:04 am »

Actually, Obsidian farming is something I'm really looking forward to. Infinite source of quality rock!

By the way, aren't natural walls better (in the Dwarfs' opinion) than built walls? This is the reason I've been postponing mining too deep, to avoid wrecking quality walls by accident.

Natural wall is same as crude rock constructed walls, smoothed same as block-built. The only special thing about natural walls and floors are they're engravable ( which isn't all that great, IMO, just use statues or decorated items. More control over the imagery planted there too. That's style preference, though ). I prefer to strip all the walls down and build it out of obsidian blocks once I've got the farming running  :D

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12597 on: June 22, 2011, 03:31:47 am »

Well, if you really want to waste some labor, start a clay crafts industry, and use your glassmaking industry to decorate the clay crafts.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12598 on: June 22, 2011, 03:34:11 am »

Well, if you really want to waste some labor, start a clay crafts industry, and use your glassmaking industry to decorate the clay crafts.
or start the simple clay gathering labour.
and let it be.
after a while there will be a pellet of clay quantum spaced of like 567 units or more and going on. because clay is...infinite!. and fireproof maybe? at least i use it for the walls and the floors.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12599 on: June 22, 2011, 04:00:30 am »

Clay collecting sounds nice, where can clay be found? I don't think I have seen it recently (although I'm not playing and can't check atm).
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1178