Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125249 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12540 on: June 20, 2011, 03:40:49 pm »

yes. and also define them as uniform=also as inactive.
and be careful. because they'll start owning food. and it will rot in their rooms...since they finish and leave bits here and there. and you don't want to know how much miasma a cookie can generate. trust me. build doors.

Thank you very much for these tips. Their rooms have doors and hatches, so I hope the miasma won't spread. Maybe it would help if I'd make special rooms for my miners with a little food stockpile?

Anyway, my fort may be coming to a quick end any moment now. I unleashed the demons in a shaft of adamantine.  ::) This is only the second time I mined adamantine. Is these demons the HFS? I see some ghosts of steam. But interestingly, I see some of them in the magma sea, not in the adamantine shaft. Can these creatures pass through walls? Would make sense, since they are ghosts. But then I don't need to bother that much with walling/flooring off the dangerous area  :-\
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12541 on: June 20, 2011, 03:45:24 pm »

it wouldn't change. they leave the food there because they are "called" to do something. they drop it on the floor and leave it there. and nobody ever touches it again.
never.
ever.
again.
unless you use magma there it stays.
you can't even dump it.

and these demons are part of the hfs (codename Clown Circus) the demons are the clowns.
for the true hfs you should kill the upcoming waves and proceed down.
for the ghosts of steam, demons are randomly generated. maybe something went awfully wrong.
or maybe they are monsters of their own. careful for ghosts. they can still possess dwarfs, make them tantrum, and some throw things.
others steal artifacts.
you don't want an artifact stealed do you?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12542 on: June 20, 2011, 04:02:58 pm »

I'm going for a decent army of war dogs and (eventually) war jaguars from the elves. I have some questions about selective breeding.

Obviously muscular and gigantic are good traits, but I have one dog who is said to be 'very muscular and just gigantic overall' and one who is said to be 'gigantic and muscular'

I'm assuming 'very muscular' is better than just 'muscular' but which of the two 'gigantics' is best?

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12543 on: June 20, 2011, 04:14:55 pm »

Do dwarves have any problem or negative thoughts from climbing large amounts of staircases? Do they consider it any different from walking horizontally a tile, or does it count the same as far as how they count distance?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:34:01 pm by beefsupreme »

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12544 on: June 20, 2011, 06:24:29 pm »

It counts as exactly the same. In fact, although it might seem weird, it's often way more efficient to spread vertically instead of horizontally. Each step up or down takes the same time as one step along the X and Y axes.

Going down 3 z levels is about the same distance as a dwarf takes to walk past a workshop.

Basically, if your dwarves are having to walk more than about 5-6 steps to get to something on their z level, it's probably worth putting it on a z level below them instead. The only consideration is how easy it is on the eyes and brain to work out how everything interconnects.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12545 on: June 20, 2011, 06:35:48 pm »

My miners are doing now a lot of work mining around a great magma sea and freeing the space for the magma workshops. It's deep down so I would like to equip them with a backpack and waterskins/flasks, so that they can eat and drink while mining and don't need to run all the way up. How can I make them equip backpacks with food and waterskins with booze? Do I have to set up a squad for them and define a miner's uniform?

yes. and also define them as uniform=also as inactive.
they should grab them auto.
just careful. they'll grab the quickest thing they have.
it might be a leather waterskin.
or a masterwork gold flask you wished to sell. and be careful. because they'll start owning food. and it will rot in their rooms...since they finish and leave bits here and there. and you don't want to know how much miasma a cookie can generate. trust me. build doors.

I've never seen anyone with inactive uniform set to on take waterskin or backpack, I've only seen active-duty soldier taking those things. And uniforms are bugged for miners, woodcutter and hunters, due to weapon 'uniform' for their job. Unless latest version fixed it, I'm still using .18, so can't say for that.

Miner49

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12546 on: June 20, 2011, 09:04:52 pm »

Okay, so I'm new at the game, and have very little idea what to do. I've run into one main issue, which I can't solve:

I dug into a cliff face, made 4 rooms, moved everyone in, and tried to go downwards using a downward staircase. I was able to make the staircase, on the top layer, then the bottom. But now I can't dig anything around the stairs. I marked it to be mined, but my miners don't go for it. They just go back to the meeting space. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Also, is there anyway to move the wagon? Or does it get left out there? I've moved the stuff off of it, but I want to move the wagon itself to a safer location.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12547 on: June 20, 2011, 09:52:18 pm »

Have you mined two downward staircases? You need to mine one downward staircase on the level above, and one upward staircase on the level below.

Your miners might also be having a break (although that's unlikely that early in the game) to check this, press for a list of all the units on the map, and see if there is 'On break' written next to your miners.

As for the wagon, it serves no in game purpose other than to hold your stuff at the start. You can deconstruct it for 3 logs. Press [q] to bring up the building interaction cursor, and then when the cursor is over the wagon, press
  • to have your dwarves deconstruct it.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12548 on: June 20, 2011, 11:31:16 pm »

Is there a way to put Reclaim Bolts in "Stacks" like how they are build ?

I made a shooting range in a way that I can recycle all the bolts that the dwarf miss when they are training however when the dwarf use those reclaim bolts, they have to go back to the stockpile every one shot to reload

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12549 on: June 20, 2011, 11:33:50 pm »

Is there a way to put Reclaim Bolts in "Stacks" like how they are build ?

I made a shooting range in a way that I can recycle all the bolts that the dwarf miss when they are training however when the dwarf use those reclaim bolts, they have to go back to the stockpile every one shot to reload

Nope, things aren't restackable.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12550 on: June 20, 2011, 11:46:38 pm »

Okay, so I'm new at the game, and have very little idea what to do. I've run into one main issue, which I can't solve:

I dug into a cliff face, made 4 rooms, moved everyone in, and tried to go downwards using a downward staircase. I was able to make the staircase, on the top layer, then the bottom. But now I can't dig anything around the stairs. I marked it to be mined, but my miners don't go for it. They just go back to the meeting space. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Also, is there anyway to move the wagon? Or does it get left out there? I've moved the stuff off of it, but I want to move the wagon itself to a safer location.

As for the wagon - you can disassemble it and get 3 wood from disassembling it.  When you do so, be sure to designate a meeting area or your dwarves on break and your tame animals will wander all over.

There are three types of stairs.  Up, down, and up/down .

If you built only down stairs twice, right above each other, you can easily fix it by building an up/down stair construction on top of the lower down stair.

b -C - (can't remember up/down stair code offhand)

A carpenter will be needed if you choose a wood material, a mason if you choose a stone material.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12551 on: June 21, 2011, 12:57:01 am »

Got a mayor asking for crystal glass items.

Is crystal still broken, or is it worth me going through the pearlash making circus?  I've got 4 crystal glass 'stones' but no-one seems to do anything with actual glass...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12552 on: June 21, 2011, 01:05:03 am »

Is crystal still broken, or is it worth me going through the pearlash making circus?  I've got 4 crystal glass 'stones' but no-one seems to do anything with actual glass...

You might try making crystal glass windows - if I remember right they worked back when other crystal glass items did not.  I haven't had any nobles asking me for them though, recently.

As a second note - when it comes time to assign a baron - make sure you choose a dwarf that likes common materials.  The desires of nobles is typically based off their likes list in their thoughts and preferences.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12553 on: June 21, 2011, 01:49:25 am »

You might try making crystal glass windows - if I remember right they worked back when other crystal glass items did not.  I haven't had any nobles asking me for them though, recently.

As a second note - when it comes time to assign a baron - make sure you choose a dwarf that likes common materials.  The desires of nobles is typically based off their likes list in their thoughts and preferences.

and something you don't want to trade.
if they like gold they will ban it's exports.
or similar with silver and the like.
it's better if instead of materials they prefer objects like shields (cuz, who'd export shields?)
or electrum/brass (cuz, who'd export brass/electrum?) obviously  be sure you could produce them if in need.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12554 on: June 21, 2011, 02:50:04 am »

Thanks - no dice for windows, or anything, so I've replaced him with a dwarf who likes gabbro and anvils...

Sigh - but they keep being re-elected, and I don't really want to kill off my best glassmaker (hey - if he's the one that can't make it, will he punish himself?)

Because DF players are heavily into pain.
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 1178