Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125240 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12525 on: June 20, 2011, 09:56:43 am »

.... They'll stay alive but get hungry, starve and then die if they don't get out to eat.  Then you'll have a corpse in a cage that, as far as everything I've tried, can't be removed ....

Corpse-cages that land in the "empties" stockpile near my shops generate a "butcher" job, get emptied, and their contents chopped up readily enough. Also, mark the body for dumping and it should get moved to an active dump zone.

Corpses will only be butchered if not tame, and only tame animals starve.  So the corpses of starved animals in cages will never be butchered.

You should be able to mark the body for dumping, either by building the cage and viewing the contents, or by selecting the area the cage is in for dumping with the mass select designation tool, then specifically un-designating the cage for dumping.  You should also be able to designate the corpse for dumping through the stocks screen.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12526 on: June 20, 2011, 10:38:00 am »

O! Right, right. My bad.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12527 on: June 20, 2011, 10:39:10 am »

or, since cages are after all so ugly to be seen, you can atomsmash everything, or magma it. Or incinerate it.
Because, after all, why use cages, when you could use chains?...
(not referring to enemy or cage traps obviously)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12528 on: June 20, 2011, 11:15:23 am »

Why can I not view all the civilisations near me in the [c] screen from the outset? Do I have to have encountered them firsthand before they show up?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12529 on: June 20, 2011, 11:17:32 am »

Why can I not view all the civilisations near me in the [c] screen from the outset? Do I have to have encountered them firsthand before they show up?
They have to show up first before you have a local record of them.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12530 on: June 20, 2011, 12:37:02 pm »

Sweet. Goblins will be attacking providing me with iron after all :D

EDIT: If I change the raws to make exotic pets tameable, will I need to regen or will it take effect in my save?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:40:18 pm by Benedict Hardy »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12531 on: June 20, 2011, 12:46:44 pm »

It will take effect in your save as long as you edit the RAWs of your save file. (and save and restart DF)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12532 on: June 20, 2011, 12:47:35 pm »

Sweet. Goblins will be attacking providing me with iron after all :D

EDIT: If I change the raws to make exotic pets tameable, will I need to regen or will it take effect in my save?

You won't need regen, you'll have to do it in the save's raw, though. Just remove the _EXOTIC bit after you exit game, and before starting it up again. And it's possible that goblin won't show up, unless you've checked the embark screen to see if goblins can reach it, eh?

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12533 on: June 20, 2011, 12:51:20 pm »

Thanks!

And yeah, I did check to see if goblins would show up, but I'd never noticed their absence in the civ screen before, so I worried I might have absent mindedly placed myself somewhere stupidly remote. (I tend to go for very wild, very evil mountains/tundras)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12534 on: June 20, 2011, 01:03:23 pm »

Thanks!

And yeah, I did check to see if goblins would show up, but I'd never noticed their absence in the civ screen before, so I worried I might have absent mindedly placed myself somewhere stupidly remote. (I tend to go for very wild, very evil mountains/tundras)
Civs only appear on the screen once they find you.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #12535 on: June 20, 2011, 01:20:48 pm »

Does the militia commander have any active jobs he can't fulfill?
It seems weird he would sit in one place indefinatly So there's probably some sort of infinte loop going on in that dwarfs head ^^

I have found out what's causing him to stand there, he was always putting off his adamantine mail shirt and putting on his steel breastplate, and vice versa. I think he probably had no more slots left for the upper body, as his uniform commads him to wear a robe as well, and he had his own cloak n stuff. Anyway, setting his equips to "replace clothing" instead of "over clothing" got him to move. Thanks for the tip ;)

is he a miner or woodcutter?

Nope.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #12536 on: June 20, 2011, 03:14:05 pm »

My miners are doing now a lot of work mining around a great magma sea and freeing the space for the magma workshops. It's deep down so I would like to equip them with a backpack and waterskins/flasks, so that they can eat and drink while mining and don't need to run all the way up. How can I make them equip backpacks with food and waterskins with booze? Do I have to set up a squad for them and define a miner's uniform?
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12537 on: June 20, 2011, 03:28:42 pm »

My miners are doing now a lot of work mining around a great magma sea and freeing the space for the magma workshops. It's deep down so I would like to equip them with a backpack and waterskins/flasks, so that they can eat and drink while mining and don't need to run all the way up. How can I make them equip backpacks with food and waterskins with booze? Do I have to set up a squad for them and define a miner's uniform?

yes. and also define them as uniform=also as inactive.
they should grab them auto.
just careful. they'll grab the quickest thing they have.
it might be a leather waterskin.
or a masterwork gold flask you wished to sell. and be careful. because they'll start owning food. and it will rot in their rooms...since they finish and leave bits here and there. and you don't want to know how much miasma a cookie can generate. trust me. build doors.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12538 on: June 20, 2011, 03:34:51 pm »

Well, that explains why my housing areas keep getting miasma.  I got a question answered and didn't even have to ask it!
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12539 on: June 20, 2011, 03:39:39 pm »

Well, that explains why my housing areas keep getting miasma.  I got a question answered and didn't even have to ask it!

good. one step closer to godhood for me that is.
Next step: give the precise moment the new df version comes out.
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 1178