Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125918 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12210 on: June 06, 2011, 02:57:46 pm »

Have you tried withdrawing them from the military, or deleting their uniforms?

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12211 on: June 06, 2011, 03:12:46 pm »

When liaison is offering to fortress to become a barony, what happens if I select "rather keep my distance from the mainland?"
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12212 on: June 06, 2011, 03:14:10 pm »

When liaison is offering to fortress to become a barony, what happens if I select "rather keep my distance from the mainland?"

You should get the same offer again next year when the liaison comes by again.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12213 on: June 06, 2011, 04:20:38 pm »

Have you tried withdrawing them from the military, or deleting their uniforms?

No, but they are either resting, or are unconscious... I'll try though

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #12214 on: June 06, 2011, 05:21:48 pm »

Can dwarves actually see through glass? If I put a group of soldiers into a guardtower with glass windows could they see stealthed enemies on the other side of the glass?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12215 on: June 06, 2011, 05:50:06 pm »

Can dwarves actually see through glass? If I put a group of soldiers into a guardtower with glass windows could they see stealthed enemies on the other side of the glass?

They can definitely see visible enemies.  I do not think they will be able to see stealthed enemies - remember that war dogs only detect stealthed enemies if the enemies enter an adjacent tile.  If you have a fortification or a window between your dwarves and the stealthed enemy, that's going to keep said enemy at least 2 tiles away, and invisible.

I've been meaning to test hunting dogs in detection mode - anyone know if they see stealthed enemies better than war dogs?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #12216 on: June 06, 2011, 06:09:18 pm »

I thought dwarves with observation skill could detect stealthed units from a farther distance away then an adjacent tile? I've certainly seen random civilians detect thieves from more then a tile away. Also, thanks. :P

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12217 on: June 06, 2011, 06:26:13 pm »

unconcious dwarves probably wont remove their gear.  If you remove him from the military and dump flag it your idlers should strip him.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12218 on: June 06, 2011, 09:44:01 pm »

I thought dwarves with observation skill could detect stealthed units from a farther distance away then an adjacent tile? I've certainly seen random civilians detect thieves from more then a tile away. Also, thanks. :P

You may be correct.  I've never noticed this before, but if that's what the observation skill actually does, then it might be worth my while to start watching for it to pop up in immigrants.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12219 on: June 06, 2011, 10:02:44 pm »

Wiki confirms that the Observer skill is tied to stealth detection. Similarly, animals are pretty good at detecting stealthed units due to their innate skills.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12220 on: June 06, 2011, 11:35:51 pm »

Never used this thread in my life... Here goes.

*Ahem* What stockpile do bags of sand go in again?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12221 on: June 07, 2011, 12:42:23 am »

Never used this thread in my life... Here goes.

Pretty sure it's furniture.  Collecting sand is performed by dwarves with furniture moving job turned on.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #12222 on: June 07, 2011, 06:08:23 am »

Furniture stockpile, in its (s)ettings you can (b)lock all and only allow sand bags using (u). No need to allow furniture types, materials or quality. That way only bags full of sand will be stored there.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lost Labours?
« Reply #12223 on: June 07, 2011, 06:47:33 am »

Hi all,

I recently defeated all the goblins and trolls that were sieging me, and bulks claimed all the stuff on their bodies.
As usual all my idle dwarfs ran out of the fortress to collect the stuff, but this time 10 of them were still left idle.
I was curious, so I selected the "u" option and scrolled down the list, and sure enough there were 10 dwarves, apparently at random, with no jobs. When I selected them they had no labours enabled at all.
Sometimes I had turned off the main labour on my Trader, but that's all.

What happened to them? Was it something I did?

I reset them to have the labours they should had based on their skills, plus the usual hauling and healthcare, but its a puzzle as to why I had to.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #12224 on: June 07, 2011, 10:12:19 am »

Removing names from the list could create problems if the slab is ever destroyed.
Yes, I agree. But the same goes for coffins, if I am not mistaken? Or do bodies (or just "names", if there are no remains present) automaticly get transfered to a new coffins as soon as it is avalible?
So am am thinking something among the lines of "hide" option for already engraved names when it comes to slabs...But it is just an idea I would love to see impemented somehow sometimes in the future. It is not like slabs are any sort of a game-breaking bug.  ;)

You really don't need to add extra chests. The hospital zone acts like an invisible stockpile. When you set the amount of material for it, cloth, thread, soap, it reserves these items, forbidden except for hospital use. The chests act like bins in a custom stockpile. So as you place a chest/coffer, the dwarves store as many of the goods reserved into it, as the coffer can hold. The chest are for convienence. The docs can still go to your cloth, soap, etc stockpiles, and get the reserved goods not in the hospital.
 I finally realize now the old soap bug was not a bug. Was that I would reserve so much soap for hospital use, dwarves wanting to clean self could not, since all was reserved for the hospital.
 Be careful about the amount of materials you reserve. Could forbid cloth you need for making ropes, bags
That is quite interesting. i never really thought about it even thought it seems quite obvius now.
I for one like the whole "Hospital zone" thing and I simply enjoy digging out large hospitals with wells (pipes below must be of smoothed stone, to ensure water remains clean, why yes!  :D), ample beds, tables, traction benches and boxes full of needed materials. :)
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 1178