Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 809 810 [811] 812 813 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125919 times)

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12150 on: June 05, 2011, 06:12:35 am »

Hey guys, got a little question here: A dwarf of mine has withdrawn from society and he is just standing around, looking at stuff. He is an axedwarf and woodcutter and teacher. What do i need to do to prevent him from going mad?

He needs a right workshop to work with his mood. What workshop he needs depends on his skills, as explained here.
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Eeote

• Bay Watcher
  • I am encircled with bands of newbiness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12151 on: June 05, 2011, 06:30:14 am »

Thanks for the reply, but i already have several craftdwarf's workshops and mason's workshops, he has not claimed any of them

It's been my experience that having just magma/non-magma forges can get you into trouble when it comes to moods. Does he have any metal-working skill?

The wiki has a very useful article covering this topic: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Mood

I figured it out. I forgot i had set him to do some butchery/tannery since i didn't start out with any dwarfs of that skill, and he must have gotten some skill in that i think. He then claimed the leather works i had built for him and luckily i had a lot of leather, so no sweat. But thanks still :)
Life gives you lemons, you make orange juice, and sit back and watch everyone try and figure out how you did it.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12152 on: June 05, 2011, 06:33:27 am »

About refuse usage

1. I have a ton of xxx skeletons or xxx partial skeletons, yet I can't do bone greaves with them. How to use these skeletons? How to make bone greaves?

2. I keep stockpiling large roach remains? I think they are useless, but will they disappear eventually from the refuse stockpile?

3. What to do with turtle shell?

TIA

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12153 on: June 05, 2011, 06:53:28 am »

Bah. I feel kinda silly because my first post after a long time goes to "questions" thread. Oh well.

Anyway - I have been searching the forums a bit, kinda found the answer, but still to make it sure: ENGRAVING SLABS.

Names of dead dwarfs do not disapper from the "engrave slab" list, right? Is this a bug? If not, it would be grat to see a feature that would allow you to at least "hide" names already engraved on a slab, or maybe not show names of those actually placed in coffins. That would probably save the clutter...
This doesn't help when you're just using a few slabs for dwarves with unrecoverable bodies, but if you're making slabs for everyone, dwarves for whom slabs have already been made will get their names moved to the bottom of the part of the list that has (your) dwarves.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12154 on: June 05, 2011, 06:56:55 am »

1. I have a ton of xxx skeletons or xxx partial skeletons, yet I can't do bone greaves with them. How to use these skeletons? How to make bone greaves?

2. I keep stockpiling large roach remains? I think they are useless, but will they disappear eventually from the refuse stockpile?

3. What to do with turtle shell?
Ad 1) If there is a butcher's shop within 20 (30?) tiles, and it won't butcher them, you can't use them. You can wait till they rot, hope they turn into a stack of bones, or dump/relocate.

Bone armor is made in craftdwarf's workshop. If you have metal, use metal instead, even copper is much better than bone. You need bone to make bone armor.

Ad 2) You can go to {o}rders {r}efuse ignore vermin remains. They clutter refuse stockpiles, and generate hauling jobs, but rot and disappear eventually. You can also get rid of cats to have no vermin remains.

Ad 3) Nothing. Keep it for strange moods. If you have over 20 you can consider making shell crafts or decorating with it.

On all 3: I build 1 big (up to 30x30) refuse pile outside, set it to not accept bones, hooves, shell, horn, tooth, etc. I surround it with a fer butcher's workshops and tanneries. I also designate a refuse pile inside, that accepts only bone, hoof, shell, horn, tooth, and put a few craftdwarf's workshops close.

The consensus about use of bone seems to be bone bolts for training marksdwarves.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12155 on: June 05, 2011, 07:50:15 am »

Will prepared meals count as drink/booze? If so will they only be counted as booze if booze is put into them?

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #12156 on: June 05, 2011, 08:27:50 am »

To my knowledge, once booze is used in any sort of meal, it is gone for good and meals can never as counted for booze. :)

This doesn't help when you're just using a few slabs for dwarves with unrecoverable bodies, but if you're making slabs for everyone, dwarves for whom slabs have already been made will get their names moved to the bottom of the part of the list that has (your) dwarves.
Hum, I thought their names move on the list only when a new dwarf dies? Anyway, no more slabs-only burial for me, I guess. It is just to easy to duplicate slab engraving, or so it would seem to me. :(

Eecote: ah yes, when dwarf is in a mood, you should always check ALL his skills. ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:29:47 am by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12157 on: June 05, 2011, 09:14:28 am »

How exactly do pumps work?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12158 on: June 05, 2011, 09:31:45 am »

They move liquids.

But seriously. Read that, three times. And if something is still unclear, ask more.
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12159 on: June 05, 2011, 09:36:04 am »

If the skeletons are from intelligent creatures (goblins, elves, dwarves, kobolds, etc) or tame animals that belonged to your fortress, they are useless.  You can't butcher intelligent creatures, and this includes breaking up their skeletons for bones.  The same goes for tame animals which died from any cause other than being deliberately slaughtered at a butcher's shop.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12160 on: June 05, 2011, 09:54:36 am »

What voncede said. Pumps and pump stacks are a nightmare to set up, beware. They basically suck up water from the the tile next to and down a z-level from the light green side, and pump it out onto the tile next to the dark green tile. There needs to be a channelled out tile of open space over the water you want to pump up, the pump can't suck through solid floor.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12161 on: June 05, 2011, 10:01:20 am »

To my knowledge, once booze is used in any sort of meal, it is gone for good and meals can never as counted for booze. :)

Hum, I thought their names move on the list only when a new dwarf dies? Anyway, no more slabs-only burial for me, I guess. It is just to easy to duplicate slab engraving, or so it would seem to me. :(

Eecote: ah yes, when dwarf is in a mood, you should always check ALL his skills. ;)
Removing names from the list could create problems if the slab is ever destroyed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12162 on: June 05, 2011, 10:50:13 am »

To pump magma, will I need to make the pumps out of metal?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12163 on: June 05, 2011, 10:53:10 am »

Metal, or anything else magma-safe, a list of which can be found here.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12164 on: June 05, 2011, 11:03:58 am »

I can't seem to make the corckscrews or pipe sections out of stone. Is it only necessary to make the block out of stone?
Pages: 1 ... 809 810 [811] 812 813 ... 1178