Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 800 801 [802] 803 804 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126194 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12015 on: May 29, 2011, 02:11:45 pm »

Beserk Merchant: he's not going home in that state, keep him as a pet, or use him for target practice. Since he didn't go home at regular time, whatever damage to your reputation from humans is already done. Shouldn't be too bad unless it happens more than 1 year in a row, but they cannot tell how he died, so other races can get pissed with u even if goblins kill merhants.

Bronze = Copper + Tin ore, made at a smelter or magma smelter (which is self-fueling)

Fuel can be made from logs at a wood furnace (b->e->w) or from coal / lignite at a smelter (peferably powered by magma). I'd save the coal and use logs until you have magma furnaces.

Make a craftsdwarves workshop and make bone crossbow bolts, this helps supplies and saves on metal.

Train archers by having them shoot at captives and cavern beasts from behind fortifications (a narrow fortifications tunnel is best as they must be right next to them to fire). Only elite dwarf or enemy archers can fire through fortifications from a distance. Make it so enemies outside cannot stand next to the fortifications, just in case, e.g. put a trench there or raise it 1 level off the ground.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:21:33 pm by Reelyanoob »

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12016 on: May 29, 2011, 02:39:52 pm »

Is it possible to place two (or more) wells at different Z-levels such that they draw from the same water tile? If not, would the functional well be the lower one or the upper one, or would they both break?

Also, summer is in full swing and I just got the announcement that my Murky Pools are devoid of life. Will they be restocked at some point, or are they going to be devoid for the rest of the life of my fortress? I remember that you could overfish Murky Pools in the older versions such that they would be permanently empty, but I'm not sure about the weather.
Quick, somebody who can pretend they know with a reasonable degree of believability hop in and act like they do!
You fucking rang?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12017 on: May 29, 2011, 02:53:34 pm »

Is it possible to place two (or more) wells at different Z-levels such that they draw from the same water tile? If not, would the functional well be the lower one or the upper one, or would they both break?

The lower well will prevent the upper well from working.

Also, summer is in full swing and I just got the announcement that my Murky Pools are devoid of life. Will they be restocked at some point, or are they going to be devoid for the rest of the life of my fortress? I remember that you could overfish Murky Pools in the older versions such that they would be permanently empty, but I'm not sure about the weather.

It is fairly easy to permanently deplete the population of local fish and turtles, so it's quite possible that you will never be able to fish there again.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12018 on: May 29, 2011, 03:57:41 pm »

It is fairly easy to permanently deplete the population of local fish and turtles, so it's quite possible that you will never be able to fish there again.
A quick clarification, since I think my question was a bit ambiguous: I haven't been doing any fishing at all, it's only been the weather that removed the critters. I'm just not certain that DF cares about the difference.

Also, a followup question: If I abandoned my fortress and then reclaimed it, would the ponds have life in them again, only to have the summer heat kill everything off once more?
Quick, somebody who can pretend they know with a reasonable degree of believability hop in and act like they do!
You fucking rang?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12019 on: May 29, 2011, 04:32:47 pm »

A quick clarification, since I think my question was a bit ambiguous: I haven't been doing any fishing at all, it's only been the weather that removed the critters. I'm just not certain that DF cares about the difference.
If you haven't done any fishing, how do you know there were ever fish or turtles in the ponds?  It's possible to embark in a site that has water yet no fishable creatures.

I don't know if abandoning and reclaiming resets local wildlife populations.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12020 on: May 29, 2011, 05:40:57 pm »

I'm not certain that there ever was anything bigger than a toad in my ponds, but I did get the "There is nothing to catch in the northern swamps" announcement at the beginning of Malachite/July, so presumably there was something for me to go after if I had chosen to.

Also, I have the two horses that brought my wagon to the site wandering around in a pasture with no fence. When initially adding an animal to the area or if they wander out of the area, I'm having dwarves run up to move them into the pasture in despite the fact that those dwarves have no labors (such as Animal Hauling) enabled. Is there a secret option for this on the Orders page or something, or is this a bug? Having my miner running up out of the tunnels to take care of the situation is getting annoying.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:49:41 pm by TheWealthyAardvark »
You fucking rang?

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12021 on: May 29, 2011, 07:03:27 pm »

I'm back after not playing for almost a year.
So is the alcohol-cooking bug fixed now?  I don't see mention of it in the Wiki, just want to be sure I can leave alcohol cooking on, now...

What about combat?  Still broke, or usable now?

Any other bugs/pitfalls I need to be aware of with the new version (31.25) ?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12022 on: May 29, 2011, 07:06:12 pm »

The biggest pitfall is that there's a massive new version coming up in the near future. There's certainly bugs in .25, but relatively few and mostly managable.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12023 on: May 29, 2011, 08:42:33 pm »

EDIT: Holy crap, just found b > C menu. I guess I have to make a building, not a designation. What's the difference, I'd really like to know.
EDIT2: Also, how do I fix a channel? I made one trying to get rid of some stairs, but now my dwarves just fall down it.

Designations change a land feature that's already present into a new one (e.g. taking a natural wall and digging a ramp or a staircase out of it). Constructions take empty space and construct a new feature in that space (e.g. taking empty space and building a staircase in it).

If you mean that you want to cover up the hole in the floor, you can also do that with a construction: (b)uild>(C)onstruction>(f)loor

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12024 on: May 30, 2011, 03:30:59 am »

So am I able to remove the downward stairs that I stupidly placed so that I can place up/down stairs? Remove construction doesn't seem to do anything.

Yes (d -> z) to remove up slopes / stairs, then enable masonry skill on dwarf and build appropriate stairs.  (b -> C -> choose stairs)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12025 on: May 30, 2011, 03:33:06 am »

what would be the best material next to silver? For some reason I can't make silver weapons (do you need a mood?). :>

Silver is normally one of the metals to choose from at the metalsmith's forge... It's not in the list? Maybe your civilization doesn't make weapons out of silver (does anyone know if that's possible?)

For hammers, the most relevant characteristic is the density of the material, and a little googling will confirm that, of the metals that weapons can be made of, silver is the most dense and copper is the second most dense.

Does decorating add mass?  If so, you will want to decorate with platinum, which should be the most dense available substance you can use for decoration.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12026 on: May 30, 2011, 03:37:12 am »

So am I able to remove the downward stairs that I stupidly placed so that I can place up/down stairs? Remove construction doesn't seem to do anything.

"Constructions" are structures that you have built using the (b)uild>(C)onstructions menu. If you dug a down stair and now want an up/down stair there, you must construct an up/down stair on that tile, which will take the place of the down stair your miners dug.

Hit (b)>(C) and look for up/down stair. Designate it on the tile you want. Select a construction material. Then, make sure a dwarf with the relevant labor turned on can access the spot (carpentry if you chose wood, masonry if you chose stone, etc.).

I did that, but no menu to select material came up. I choose the square with my down stairs on it, then nothing happens.

EDIT: Holy crap, just found b > C menu. I guess I have to make a building, not a designation. What's the difference, I'd really like to know.
EDIT2: Also, how do I fix a channel? I made one trying to get rid of some stairs, but now my dwarves just fall down it.

Designations are building solely based on digging stuff out in a certain shape.

Constructions are building by using rock or blocks or bars or logs that you have laying around.

They work the same, but constructions add to the value of your fortress, and are handy for when you break designations...

Make sure everything is out of the channel, then (b -> C -> f) to build a floor over it.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12027 on: May 30, 2011, 03:38:45 am »

I messed up Project: Saltwater purifying

Now my exp. leader is sitting in the water, doing nothing.
How will I fish him out?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12028 on: May 30, 2011, 03:48:13 am »

Probably by channelling down into the edge of the waterway so there's a ramp he can climb out.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12029 on: May 30, 2011, 08:59:56 am »

Only up/down and upward stairway made by designation (i.e. carved out) can be changed by designation to downward stairway. Other than that you need to build a constructed stairway, in this case up/down. Removing construction works only on built stairways, not designated.
Pages: 1 ... 800 801 [802] 803 804 ... 1178