Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126209 times)

BlueeulB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12000 on: May 29, 2011, 10:34:42 am »

Me again. :3

Could someone tell me what the best materials are for hammers and axes are? From worst to best please. :>
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:37:29 am by BlueeulB »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12001 on: May 29, 2011, 10:42:46 am »

For hammers, it's bluemetal<wood<various metals<silver.
For axes, I'm pretty sure it's wood<copper<bronze<iron<steel<bluemetal.

bugeye999

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12002 on: May 29, 2011, 10:53:20 am »

I just got started with this, and ten minutes in I managed to trap my miner. I was trying to build a staircase a couple of z-levels down and all of a sudden my miner stopped moving between levels. I have tried placing up staircases, placing down staircases, placing up/down staircases, and removing staircases on the level he is at and the two levels above and below him. My miner can dig on the level he is on, but if I designate a place to dig on the level above or below him, he does nothing. Also, I have a staircase (designated?) under him which flashes. I think this is because there is an item where I designated the staircase to go, but I can't figure out how to move the item. So, my question is how do I fix this, and is there a guide to stairs for idiots? I looked at the DW wiki and it was of no help.

EDIT: None of my dwarves can move between levels. I enabled mining for another dwarf. He can mine on the level he is on, but won't move to any others to mine.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:58:09 am by bugeye999 »

BlueeulB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12003 on: May 29, 2011, 10:59:56 am »

For hammers, it's bluemetal<wood<various metals<silver.
For axes, I'm pretty sure it's wood<copper<bronze<iron<steel<bluemetal.

For a hammer, what would be the best material next to silver? For some reason I can't make silver weapons (do you need a mood?). :>

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12004 on: May 29, 2011, 11:00:25 am »

A staircase only works if there is an "up stairs" on one level *and* a "down stairs" on the level above in the tile directly above the "up stairs." If this is not the case, the stairs do not connect. For this reason, if you want a staircase to span multiple z-levels in a straight line, all intermediate levels will need to be designated as "up/down stairs."

A ramp requires a wall directly adjacent to the ramp and a walkable floor on top of that wall, one level above.

bugeye999

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12005 on: May 29, 2011, 11:01:39 am »

So am I able to remove the downward stairs that I stupidly placed so that I can place up/down stairs? Remove construction doesn't seem to do anything.

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12006 on: May 29, 2011, 11:02:28 am »

what would be the best material next to silver? For some reason I can't make silver weapons (do you need a mood?). :>

Silver is normally one of the metals to choose from at the metalsmith's forge... It's not in the list? Maybe your civilization doesn't make weapons out of silver (does anyone know if that's possible?)

For hammers, the most relevant characteristic is the density of the material, and a little googling will confirm that, of the metals that weapons can be made of, silver is the most dense and copper is the second most dense.

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12007 on: May 29, 2011, 11:05:09 am »

So am I able to remove the downward stairs that I stupidly placed so that I can place up/down stairs? Remove construction doesn't seem to do anything.

"Constructions" are structures that you have built using the (b)uild>(C)onstructions menu. If you dug a down stair and now want an up/down stair there, you must construct an up/down stair on that tile, which will take the place of the down stair your miners dug.

Hit (b)>(C) and look for up/down stair. Designate it on the tile you want. Select a construction material. Then, make sure a dwarf with the relevant labor turned on can access the spot (carpentry if you chose wood, masonry if you chose stone, etc.).

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12008 on: May 29, 2011, 11:12:33 am »

For a hammer, what would be the best material next to silver? For some reason I can't make silver weapons (do you need a mood?). :>
All the other metals (other than bluemetal) are roughly equal when used in hammers. I would go with copper, or whatever else you have a lot of.

bugeye999

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12009 on: May 29, 2011, 11:19:47 am »

"Constructions" are structures that you have built using the (b)uild>(C)onstructions menu. If you dug a down stair and now want an up/down stair there, you must construct an up/down stair on that tile, which will take the place of the down stair your miners dug.

Hit (b)>(C) and look for up/down stair. Designate it on the tile you want. Select a construction material. Then, make sure a dwarf with the relevant labor turned on can access the spot (carpentry if you chose wood, masonry if you chose stone, etc.).

I did that, but no menu to select material came up. I choose the square with my down stairs on it, then nothing happens.

EDIT: Holy crap, just found b > C menu. I guess I have to make a building, not a designation. What's the difference, I'd really like to know.
EDIT2: Also, how do I fix a channel? I made one trying to get rid of some stairs, but now my dwarves just fall down it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:22:43 am by bugeye999 »

BlueeulB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12010 on: May 29, 2011, 11:33:53 am »

what would be the best material next to silver? For some reason I can't make silver weapons (do you need a mood?). :>

Silver is normally one of the metals to choose from at the metalsmith's forge... It's not in the list? Maybe your civilization doesn't make weapons out of silver (does anyone know if that's possible?)

For hammers, the most relevant characteristic is the density of the material, and a little googling will confirm that, of the metals that weapons can be made of, silver is the most dense and copper is the second most dense.

See? :C

I don't know how to insert images, sorry. :c

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12011 on: May 29, 2011, 11:54:22 am »

That's [ img ]pic.jpg[ /img ]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BlueeulB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12012 on: May 29, 2011, 11:58:57 am »

That's [ img ]pic.jpg[ /img ]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ah, thanks. :)

Anyway, as you can see, I can't make anything out of silver.

BlueeulB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12013 on: May 29, 2011, 12:03:10 pm »

Alright, scrap that. I'm using the genesis mod (which I should have mentioend beforehand), and it seems that black bronze is the best thing for density. :>

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12014 on: May 29, 2011, 01:44:45 pm »

guys, I just got attacked in the middle of a caravan trading.

Now I got a berserk merchant in a cage (he run straight to my gate full of traps) and I have no idea what to do with him.

If I kill him, will I get attack by the humans later on ?

another thing is how do I make Bronze and fuel ?

was trying to make an army full of archers and until now I still can't make bronze for arrows.

last of all, is there a way to train my archers ?
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 1178