Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120464 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11115 on: April 30, 2011, 09:41:19 am »

Does the dungeon master still arrive? I heard you could fix nobles not immigrating by preventing the liasion from talking to your expedition leader until the caravan he comes with has left the map.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11116 on: April 30, 2011, 10:12:07 am »

Does the dungeon master still arrive? I heard you could fix nobles not immigrating by preventing the liasion from talking to your expedition leader until the caravan he comes with has left the map.

Err... you are confused.  It would be fairer to ask "Does the dungeon master still NOT arrive?"  The answer to that is "Yes, in 0.31.25, the dungeon master is still broken and still does not arrive."  We haven't had a working dungeon master in any DF2010 release.

"Fix nobles not immigrating" is confusing me.  I'm not sure what condition you are encountering and what change you would like to see.  Nobles do not immigrate in DF2010, except for the monarch, should you meet the conditions for this.  All the other nobles (such as they are) are appointed from your existing population.

"Preventing the liaison from talking to your leader" is a workaround needed in older DF2010 releases that had a bug.  In those versions, you had to delay the meeting in order to get the Baron appointment dialog.  This is no longer the case in .25, except for apparently one person who may or may not be seeing this bug again.

So: if you want a Baron/Count/Duke, make sure you're playing an up-to-date version, let your population grow, build wealth, trade a lot of it away, and make sure your exports successfully leave the map.  If you want a King/Queen, build a crapload of expensive roads and bridges, give a large gift to the dwarven caravan, make sure it gets off the map, build your population even higher, etc.  If you want a Dungeon Master, either play an ancient version where it's implemented, or wait for Toady to implement it in DF2010.  If you just want to tame exotic beasts and don't care whether you accomplish it via a Dungeon Master, edit the raws.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11117 on: April 30, 2011, 10:37:16 am »

Hm. Could I somehow make the DM appointable? It'd be easier than changing every exotic animal to domestic.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11118 on: April 30, 2011, 10:38:44 am »

Hm. Could I somehow make the DM appointable? It'd be easier than changing every exotic animal to domestic.

You can make the DM manually appoint-able, but that still won't make exotic animals tameable.  The immigrant nobles are broken - not only do they not show up, they don't do their special job even if they do.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11119 on: April 30, 2011, 12:41:49 pm »

Is there an easy way to move objects from stockpile to stockpile? Choosing the "Take from" option makes all my dwarves cart everything from one stockpile to another, so if I want to move, say, blocks near to a bridge I'm making, what's the best way to get them there without my mason having to cross the map 5 times?

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11120 on: April 30, 2011, 12:47:45 pm »

Is there an easy way to move objects from stockpile to stockpile? Choosing the "Take from" option makes all my dwarves cart everything from one stockpile to another, so if I want to move, say, blocks near to a bridge I'm making, what's the best way to get them there without my mason having to cross the map 5 times?
Make a block stockpile near the bridge and have it take from the stockpile where you keep blocks.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #11121 on: April 30, 2011, 02:34:25 pm »

The wiki says berserk dwarves that are caught in a cage trap can stay alive in the cage indefinitely. What happens if I make a zoo from Urist McBerserk's cage?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11122 on: April 30, 2011, 03:18:50 pm »

What's a good way to dam a brook that's 4 tiles across, preferably from as close to the source as possible? It's aboveground, and the top tiles are channeled. Also, can I remove the brook's special tiles that reside right at the edge of the map?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:22:19 pm by DrKillPatient »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11123 on: April 30, 2011, 03:23:32 pm »

If your embark spot doesn't freeze, then I would say the easiest way would be to pump the tile dry, and build floodgates one at a time.

Life Swordsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11124 on: April 30, 2011, 03:37:32 pm »

Would it be a good idea to have soldiers be hunters when inactive? I'm thinking of doing that after I got everyone in armed and armored(which is gonna take forever) so they can still fight off local wildlife that always interrupt hauling operations on the surface/underground even during off duty.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11125 on: April 30, 2011, 03:41:50 pm »

Having military dwarves as hunters, woodcutters, or miners will cause uniform inconsistancies. Every time you change tham from one to another, they'll drop their weapon and go grab a new one.

Life Swordsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11126 on: April 30, 2011, 03:48:55 pm »

Having military dwarves as hunters, woodcutters, or miners will cause uniform inconsistancies. Every time you change tham from one to another, they'll drop their weapon and go grab a new one.

Oh really? So if say I made them hunt with the same weapon they'll just drop it and get a copy of the same thing when they switch? What about if they're attached to a weapon, will they drop that as well?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11127 on: April 30, 2011, 03:54:40 pm »

What happens is that those professions have their own uniforms, which consist of only a weapon. So, when they go to civilian mode, their military crossbow is still assigned to their old uniform and unusable as a crossbow for their hunting uniform, and when they go to military mode, their hunting crossbow is still assigned to their hunter "uniform" and unusable as the crossbow for their military uniform.
Or at least, that's how it's been explained to me.

Life Swordsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11128 on: April 30, 2011, 04:08:46 pm »

ok, just wondering. another question, does the Gym still work? I'm thinking of building one, but I'm just wondering if its still a good way to raise stats.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11129 on: April 30, 2011, 04:40:58 pm »

At the moment, I believe that attribute decay is fast enough to negate the effect of a dwarf's labor. This may not be true for certain jobs.
Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 1178