Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120438 times)

Life Swordsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11130 on: April 30, 2011, 08:04:24 pm »

Sorry another question, this time about room value. My Baroness just got upgraded to a Duchess, so now she needs better rooms. unfortunately her room is somewhat small and expanding her room to make it bigger is a problem since most of the walls have masterwork carvings in them. So I was wondering, is it possible to give her another room and decorate it, satisfying the new room requirements? I ask this because she still had her old rooms, and when the upgrade came, I carved her old rooms and they counted towards the value of the bedroom requirement.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11131 on: April 30, 2011, 08:25:26 pm »

Yes, giving her a new room will work.
If you have at least a single tile clear, you can also build a trap and fill it with ten large silver serrated disks, or a lever. You can hook up a lever to a bunch of cages, pull the lever, then rebuild the cages and repeat to get as many valuable mechanisms in it as you want.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11132 on: April 30, 2011, 09:18:16 pm »

giving her masterwork gold furniture also helps :)

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11133 on: April 30, 2011, 09:19:43 pm »

yeah statues would be what im thinkin...or the weapon trap full of masterful disks, those are REALLY high value...most of my steel serrated disks are like 13k dwarfbucks

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11134 on: April 30, 2011, 10:14:08 pm »

Is there any simple-ish method to control the movements of dwarven children? I'd like to have a fortress for a few years with babies/children getting born and growing vanilla-style, but I hate (hate is such a weak word for what I feel) their "pathing" to stay "near" parents.

assign them to burrows maybe?

Pretty sure children ignore burrows.  You need to assign their mothers to burrows. where they'll stay safely indoors.
Actually, it would appear that they do. Finding all of the bloody royal PITAs is a PITA in itself since they're sprinkled through the entire list instead of populating the bottom of it (like in the unit list). I've got 35 dwarven children, none of whom are helping to take down a wall.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11135 on: April 30, 2011, 11:16:14 pm »

see, i read SOMEWHERE you could use therapist to tell kids "f*ck you, you are working!" but i have never been able to, is that like, somethin from a previous version?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11136 on: May 01, 2011, 12:39:55 am »

see, i read SOMEWHERE you could use therapist to tell kids "f*ck you, you are working!" but i have never been able to, is that like, somethin from a previous version?
File > Options > "Allow Labor Setting on Anyone"

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11137 on: May 01, 2011, 02:59:50 am »

How do you make cloaks?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11138 on: May 01, 2011, 03:31:41 am »

I just got a horse bone short sword. Should i equip it to a soldier?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11139 on: May 01, 2011, 03:40:15 am »

No. Put it in a weapon trap somewhere. Bone is among the worst weapon materials.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Fahgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11140 on: May 01, 2011, 04:59:53 am »

i've got a road running from the map edge to the entrance of my fort yet caravans ignore it. does it have to run all the way up to the trade depot? might mean i nned to relocate the depot   :-\

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11141 on: May 01, 2011, 05:11:17 am »

Roads have little actual use.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11142 on: May 01, 2011, 10:12:45 am »

How do you make cloaks?

Clothier's workshop, or leatherworker's workshop.  You need appropriate materials and labors, of course.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11143 on: May 01, 2011, 10:38:05 am »

Is there an easy way to move objects from stockpile to stockpile? Choosing the "Take from" option makes all my dwarves cart everything from one stockpile to another, so if I want to move, say, blocks near to a bridge I'm making, what's the best way to get them there without my mason having to cross the map 5 times?
Make a block stockpile near the bridge and have it take from the stockpile where you keep blocks.

I know how to do that, but that's exactly what causes my problem. You can't selectively choose what to cart, so my dwarves end up moving entire bins of bars/blocks (I haven't bothered to differentiate the stockpiles), which is an overkill. I want a way to move, say, two bins, and for me to be able to choose which bins to move. Is there any way to selectively move items around.

Also, I'm assuming dumping is a possible way of moving choice items, but that requires not having any other active garbage disposal sites, and as soon as I unforbid the bins dwarves would move them back!

Basically it's a bit unwieldly.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11144 on: May 01, 2011, 11:48:03 am »

You can't select what to move around, but if you make the new stockpile small, forbid any materials from the stockpile that you don't want moved there, and set the max number of bins to 2, it should at least give you more or less what you want. Although I guess you still might get some unwanted block materials if they share a bin, I'm not sure how that works.
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 1178