Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118541 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10425 on: April 04, 2011, 06:38:52 pm »

Am I hallucinating, or did my soap maker just make a single bar of soap out of an entire barrel of lye (10) and a single tallow?
I've seen that in 40d, looks like it hasn't been fixed. A full barrel of lye you make contains lye, lye, lye, and some more lye units, and a full barrel from the caravan contains lye (10). The soap maker's workshop doesn't seem to understand stack splitting.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10426 on: April 04, 2011, 08:22:33 pm »

What settings do I set to allow a dining room stockpile to allow prepared meals only (in barrels or pots ok) ?

"u" is prepared meals from the food menu.

Unfortunately that still allows the storage of unprepared meals.  I don't think there's a way to do "prepared-only".

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10427 on: April 04, 2011, 08:49:21 pm »

A gear assembly that's covered on all sides by walls and a floor on top as a roof still freezes in the winter. What's wrong with it?

Once an area has been touched by the sun, it is forever considered "outside". This is abusable for greenhouses, but not so much for power assemblies.

@ gordy: Go to stockpile settings > Food and disable everything, then enable prepared meals? Works for me.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10428 on: April 04, 2011, 09:07:15 pm »

Ran into something weird. Suddenly my magma smelters will just outright refuse to produce steel and pig iron even though I have tons of flux and charcoal. Anybody run into this? Playing on .25.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10429 on: April 04, 2011, 09:13:23 pm »

Can you order it through the manager?
What burrows have you got placed?
Are the materials for the smelters forbidden?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10430 on: April 04, 2011, 11:23:11 pm »

have you run out of iron bars? you do need iron bars to make pig iron and steel...

1 steel needs

1 iron
1 pig iron
1 flux
1 fuel

pig iron needs

1 iron
1 flux
1 fuel

iron needs

hematite/magnetite/limonite.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10431 on: April 05, 2011, 12:13:42 am »

Okay, ran across a weird one: how can I ensure a constructed floor gets deconstructed from the east?  The designate/suspend wall trick does not work in this case...

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10432 on: April 05, 2011, 12:39:24 am »

Okay, ran across a weird one: how can I ensure a constructed floor gets deconstructed from the east?  The designate/suspend wall trick does not work in this case...

Try this: Designate the whole area as restricted traffic, like a 20x20 area centered on the tile you want to deconstruct. Then designate a long high-traffic path, 1 tile wide, that leads to the target tile from the east. IE:

Code: [Select]
RRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRR
RRRRFhhhhh
RRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRR

where R = restricted, h = high, F = target tile.

Hopefully when the deconstructing dwarf paths to the worksite, they'll end up on the east side and not walk extra distance just to work from the preferred side. Let us know if it works.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10433 on: April 05, 2011, 01:13:50 am »

Unfortunately that didn't work.  Also didn't work for channeling a similar tile specifically from the east.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10434 on: April 05, 2011, 02:50:29 am »

So, I'm at a magma pool, and my miner refuses to mine out the rough-hewn obsidian wall that stands between me and wonderful magma.

Do they need special picks to dig obsidian?

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10435 on: April 05, 2011, 02:51:28 am »

QUESTION!

I know this might be a weird question... but i'd like to know if it gets warmer during summer and colder during winter... I mean... physically, in terms of actual numbers and not in that the game decides that in this region ice will now melt and stuff. I embarked on a scorching hot territory and wondered if it might maybe only be dangerous during summer.
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10436 on: April 05, 2011, 03:24:35 am »

So, I'm at a magma pool, and my miner refuses to mine out the rough-hewn obsidian wall that stands between me and wonderful magma.

They don't need special picks, no. You do have to tell them twice to dig through warm stone, though - when they discover it's warm, they'll stop, un-designate it, and tell you about it, complete with bringing your camera to the area. If you designate it a second time they'll dig it with no problem.

Note that this generally results in losing the digging miner, though, and his pick. Magma moves faster than dwarves. If you want to access the magma without casualties, you can do so from the top, or I hear there's a trick with building a magma-safe (?) door where the miner is going to stand to mine into the magma, which will... usually... slam shut in time to block the magma so that the dwarf can leave safely. You can then hook the door up to a lever to open it from a distance. I haven't tried that particular trick, though, so I can't vouch for it.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

qgloafhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10437 on: April 05, 2011, 03:47:20 am »

Hi!
(noob question incoming)
How can I put items in a chest manually? I'm building a home for my adventurer and I want to place some crutches there for him, because he lost his legs.

edit: done, I made the room into a hospital.
edit2: hm. seems like my void master lost his left arm as well...  :(
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:56:00 am by qgloafhun »

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10438 on: April 05, 2011, 04:54:56 am »

They don't need special picks, no. You do have to tell them twice to dig through warm stone, though - when they discover it's warm, they'll stop, un-designate it, and tell you about it, complete with bringing your camera to the area. If you designate it a second time they'll dig it with no problem.

Note that this generally results in losing the digging miner, though, and his pick. Magma moves faster than dwarves. If you want to access the magma without casualties, you can do so from the top, or I hear there's a trick with building a magma-safe (?) door where the miner is going to stand to mine into the magma, which will... usually... slam shut in time to block the magma so that the dwarf can leave safely. You can then hook the door up to a lever to open it from a distance. I haven't tried that particular trick, though, so I can't vouch for it.

I could dig all around it, but I never got the "tile is warm" warning at all in 31.25 when trying to dig the Obsidian side of a pool.  Makes me wonder if the sides of "pools" / "pipes" are immune to digging. 

The pool was open at the top, but I wasn't up to building a DWR to power a magma pump to fill the tunnels under my workshops.  Plus I had zero metal armor at all in that embark (no easy source of wood), so it was magma or nothing.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10439 on: April 05, 2011, 05:43:04 am »

Do ghosts stick around for reclaims? And can you memorialize them in a reclaim?
The silver is responsible for this How?
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 1178