Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118514 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10455 on: April 05, 2011, 03:07:40 pm »

Just bought a tame Black Bear from Christopher McCandless some Elves, and now I want a badass War Bear. I've tried to train it in the cage, out of the cage, in the cage stockpile. For some reason it won't work. Last time I trained a bear it was a Grizzly Bear and I trained several dogs along with it.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10456 on: April 05, 2011, 03:10:01 pm »

Black bears don't have [TRAINABLE], so you can't make them into War Black Bears.  Grizzly bears do have the [TRAINABLE] tag, black bears don't.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10457 on: April 05, 2011, 03:14:08 pm »

Black bears don't have [TRAINABLE], so you can't make them into War Black Bears.  Grizzly bears do have the [TRAINABLE] tag, black bears don't.
So should I edit the RAW file or just leave the bear chained to the front gate to snack on kobold thieves?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10458 on: April 05, 2011, 05:26:21 pm »

You never get a replacement Baron/Duke/Count/etc.  If yours dies, that's it.

What if your noble has a child?  Does that child inherit?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10459 on: April 05, 2011, 08:54:20 pm »

Where does Adamantine Thread go in 31.25? Does it just sit in the Craftsdwarf's Workshop forever and drive you crazy? Empirical Evidence suggests that it does...
Never pet a burning dog.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10460 on: April 05, 2011, 09:32:38 pm »

So should I edit the RAW file or just leave the bear chained to the front gate to snack on kobold thieves?

Black bears are actually fairly weak, from what I've heard. I expect your bear to be a better guard than a dog, but not by much. You might do better having it in a zoo.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10461 on: April 05, 2011, 11:57:21 pm »

Is there any way to smash up a skeleton into bones, for all those ones you can't butcher?
The silver is responsible for this How?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10462 on: April 06, 2011, 12:34:16 am »

Is there any way to smash up a skeleton into bones, for all those ones you can't butcher?
Not that I know of.
Some say that skeletons will eventually deteriorate into usable bones, but I've never observed this firsthand.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10463 on: April 06, 2011, 01:29:14 am »

Can you feed pandas on grass or do they need bamboo?

EDIT: Gigantic pandas, I meant
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:32:03 am by agatharchides »
Memento Mori

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10464 on: April 06, 2011, 01:48:20 am »

alright, my embark site has no flux stone, but magnetite, i decided to stay.

now, i've asked my first caravan to bring me pig iron, steel, all of the flux that they can bring, next year, when i can actually make steel again, should i make armor, or weapons?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10465 on: April 06, 2011, 02:14:00 am »

Basically it is up to you. Iron is a pretty effective substitute so you will have your non-steel bases covered. I'd probably go for helmets a layer of body armor, then weapons. Steel armor will help its wearer stay alive more than a weapon, but it take a lot less steel for a weapon that the full suit of armor.
Memento Mori

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10466 on: April 06, 2011, 05:35:57 am »

Not that I know of.
Some say that skeletons will eventually deteriorate into usable bones, but I've never observed this firsthand.

Yeah, they must do, since dwarves in my fort have started making goblin bone stuff.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10467 on: April 06, 2011, 07:10:26 am »

What settings do I set to allow a dining room stockpile to allow prepared meals only (in barrels or pots ok) ?

"u" is prepared meals from the food menu.

Unfortunately that still allows the storage of unprepared meals.  I don't think there's a way to do "prepared-only".
There most certainly is. Forbid ALL food, thenn turn prepared meals back on. Be sure to disable barrels.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10468 on: April 06, 2011, 07:13:16 am »

Anybody have suggestions on how to deal with captured imps? They have fire breath, and I have no idea what to do with them.
Useful things I have:
Magma
Weapon Traps
Turret Slots(For dragon/fire imp/etc. flamethrowers)
(Reposted from genesis thread)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10469 on: April 06, 2011, 07:17:09 am »

alright, my embark site has no flux stone, but magnetite, i decided to stay.

now, i've asked my first caravan to bring me pig iron, steel, all of the flux that they can bring, next year, when i can actually make steel again, should i make armor, or weapons?

Iron armor, steel weapons.  Can't kill stuff if you can't penetrate the armor.

When setting up a custom uniform, the general recommendation is a minimum of assigning things as:

- replace clothing flag turned ON
- no partial matches
- pick, in this order: mail shirt, breastplate, cloak, trousers, greaves, helm, hood, mittens, gauntlets, high-boots, shield, weapon
- then go back and flag the mail shirt, BP, greaves, helm , gauntlets, high-boots and shield as "metal"

Some people do things like layering multiples of the mail shirt, cloaks, mittens, hoods or adding robes to go over the entire ensemble.
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 1178