Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116333 times)

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9780 on: March 18, 2011, 12:08:41 am »

how do i actually make a bed and cabinet into a bedroom that can be claimed...i always hit r and make it a free room, doesnt do anything i think...i started assigning bedrooms manually but its too annoying

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: March 18, 2011, 12:16:06 am »

Select the bed with (q), make it a room with (r), make it the size you want with (-) and (+), hit Enter.  I think those are the right keys...  If you just leave it like that, someone should claim it when they get tired.

But a quick thing: having a dormitory in your fort might make your dwarves not want to claim a room sometimes (they'll just keep sleeping in the dormitory), but they should all pick their own rooms if they ain't got nowheres else to sleep.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:17:50 am by obeliab »

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: March 18, 2011, 12:38:21 am »

so, i've decided to make goblins kill any forgotten beasts that show up in my caverns below, i've made a holding area for their cages around a pit, but will the forgotten beast actually attack them?

also, is there any way to mod a tract of land into being sand =/ im tired of having to buy any sand that caravans bring in...and one of my dwarves needs glass for a strange mood and i accidently sold my raw green glass -.-;;
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:45:37 am by Renzuko »

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9783 on: March 18, 2011, 04:55:10 am »

My baron went insane, so I killed her (shiny blue metal swords are awesome.  Try entering a martial trance with one arm and one leg missing...).

Anyway, do I get another at some stage, or is that it for nobles?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: March 18, 2011, 04:58:07 am »

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but I didn't want to make an entirely new thread for something like this, so!

I've recently been trying to embark on volcanoes next to rivers or brooks or what have you, but none of the volcanoes have had the obsidian ring that allows them to be volcanic. Does anyone know how to make those show up?

I've done some modding, namely adding new creatures and removing the aquifer tag from inorganic_stone_soil.txt as well as messing around with the world_gen.txt.

If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: March 18, 2011, 08:11:15 am »

Does anyone else have major fps issues with dwarven water reactors? I have a modified one - see below, but when it is operating, even if it's not connected to anything, by fps goes from 65 to 5 fps...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT:

Another question - why do migrants flash with an "X" for awhile after entering your fort? I've noticed they don't do anything during that time, either... Is there any way to speed them actually doing anything up?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:29:18 am by Root Infinity »
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: March 18, 2011, 08:32:55 am »

They're trying to find a meeting area to path to.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: March 18, 2011, 09:15:03 am »

They're trying to find a meeting area to path to.
Meeting area? Ahh... Makes sense
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: March 18, 2011, 10:55:41 am »

alright, so girlinhat pointed out that you can make everyone militia to get them to wear bone helms....when i made a uniform that is just a helmet and labled it civilian, but how do i get material to be bone? i went through the list and all i ever found was leather...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: March 18, 2011, 12:13:57 pm »

You need to specify it by colour. Bone is white and shell is dark green.

Alternatively, set the uniform to 'metal' and they should grab the best (which I believe is 'most expensive') stuff they can.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: March 18, 2011, 02:20:55 pm »

My baron went insane, so I killed her (shiny blue metal swords are awesome.  Try entering a martial trance with one arm and one leg missing...).

Anyway, do I get another at some stage, or is that it for nobles?

In the latest version, that's it for the baron/count/duke, unless your baron has offspring, as these positions are now hereditary. Later versions should allow the mountainhome to appoint a new one if the old one dies without heir.

alright, so girlinhat pointed out that you can make everyone militia to get them to wear bone helms....when i made a uniform that is just a helmet and labled it civilian, but how do i get material to be bone? i went through the list and all i ever found was leather...

It's a bug, you can't specify bone/shell material in the military uniform screen. Toady says it'll be fixed in 31.22.

You can just leave it as any material and they'll find the most expensive free helms you have (or use "metal" if you have "partial matches" on). One problem is that they'll consider a well-decorated leather helm to be better than a no-decoration bone or metal helm, so you can probably get around it by selling/forbidding all other helms except metal/bone.

You need to specify it by colour. Bone is white and shell is dark green.

Ooh. I haven't thought of specifying material by color. Are all shells dark green, or is that only for turtle shells? Must test...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 02:38:30 pm by Langdon »

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9791 on: March 18, 2011, 02:25:04 pm »

I heard somewhere that wood shields are just the same as any other shield, except that dragon fire burns it. I just had my militia commander beat a dragons head in with his *Iron crossbow* The dragon breathed fire about 11 times engulfing my commander, every other attack missed. This is my first dragon, so I'm surprised he didn't get caught on fire.

What's the downsides of wooden shields? You would think metal weaponry would break right through the shield, or that wooden shields would catch on fire from a dragon...was my commander just casting some spell that made the fire move around him?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: March 18, 2011, 02:30:55 pm »

What's the downsides of wooden shields? You would think metal weaponry would break right through the shield, or that wooden shields would catch on fire from a dragon...was my commander just casting some spell that made the fire move around him?

I believe right now shield material isn't very important - it increases your chance to block (i.e. avoid an attack much like dodge) but currently weapon hits against the shield aren't checked for penetration like armor. I've been using a leather shield on my adventurer, it still protects him against arrows like a metal shield.

It will catch fire from magma, though (and I believe on a successful hit from dragon/imp fire, same chance as other wooden armor or cloth clothing). In your case, you rolled successfully to block the fire attack, so your possessions weren't checked to see if they catch fire.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: March 18, 2011, 02:46:47 pm »

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but I didn't want to make an entirely new thread for something like this, so!

I've recently been trying to embark on volcanoes next to rivers or brooks or what have you, but none of the volcanoes have had the obsidian ring that allows them to be volcanic. Does anyone know how to make those show up?

I've done some modding, namely adding new creatures and removing the aquifer tag from inorganic_stone_soil.txt as well as messing around with the world_gen.txt.

I'm pretty sure it is random whether a volcano is empty or not. I didn't know about the obsidian ring causing it but I have embarked on a few volvanoues on sometimes they are just empty. I usually abandon than but that's just me...
So just try to do it again and again and again

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: March 18, 2011, 05:08:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure it is random whether a volcano is empty or not. I didn't know about the obsidian ring causing it but I have embarked on a few volvanoues on sometimes they are just empty. I usually abandon than but that's just me...
So just try to do it again and again and again

As unappetizing as that thought is, I suppose I'll just have to do it anyway. Thanks for the help.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 1178