Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116329 times)

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9810 on: March 19, 2011, 08:48:21 am »

How do I release caged animals, just bought me some new dogs that I want out.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9811 on: March 19, 2011, 08:50:16 am »

[ b ] > [ j ]
to build the cage,
[ q ] > unselect animals
to get them released.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9812 on: March 19, 2011, 08:53:17 am »

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9813 on: March 19, 2011, 11:50:24 am »

Or you could build a restraint, attach the dogs to the restraint, then cancel the order while they're en route.

I've got a jeweler's workshop with a cut gem order on it, but the guy is simply not cooperating.  The permissions are correct, the gems are available, the gem cutter is not doing anything.  He just sits there.  I have the workshop in a burrow that is assigned to someone else, who is not using the workshop...could that be causing a problem?

Also, I just butchered a forgotten beast, leaving a chiton and a feather.  What can I do with these?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9814 on: March 19, 2011, 11:54:00 am »

The three tiles on the right side of the jeweler's workshop are impassible.  Check to make sure that when you built the workshop you didn't block access to the workshop or block the dwarf into the workshop.

Forgotten beast feathers and other inorganic remains are generally useless.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9815 on: March 19, 2011, 12:12:51 pm »

How do I change the mineral scarcity in .21?   

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9816 on: March 19, 2011, 12:14:34 pm »

No, it's all passable.  It's been used before...but now no-one seems to know it exists.  The block that composes the workshop is not forbidden or anything.

I guess I'll try getting rid of the burrow and see if that makes a difference.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9817 on: March 19, 2011, 12:31:28 pm »

How do I change the mineral scarcity in .21?
err, during normal (non-advanced) worldgen - the bottom "slider".

No, it's all passable.  It's been used before...but now no-one seems to know it exists.  The block that composes the workshop is not forbidden or anything.

I guess I'll try getting rid of the burrow and see if that makes a difference.
no, dark green 'X' 's are impassable (these appear when placing)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9818 on: March 19, 2011, 01:05:37 pm »

When I place a garbage zone in .21, I get an option tied to the 'e' key: Rectangle, Flow or Floor Flow. I've never seen this before. Can anyone tell me what it means?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9819 on: March 19, 2011, 01:26:07 pm »

Oops, my bad.  I meant that the workshop was completely accessible because it's been used before.

I got it to work.  Sort of.  I deleted the burrow, which made no apparent difference.  I deconstructed it and built a new one with the old settings.  No difference.  I then reduced the minimum skill requirements to well below the cutter's.  He got interested.  I then raised the requirements again and he continued til he was done.

Truly, Dwarf Fortress is a work of *<<*nondeterminism*>>*

Also, I got into an ambush and suddenly all my civilians are all like TEH OUTDORZ R SO EXCITIN!!!!!!!!  I set the civilian alert to "stay inside you idiots" and they're still all LOL WUTEV.  They had no interest in the outdoors before and suddenly they're fixated.  Are they trying to recover the gear from the dead soldiers?  They have "No Job" listed.  Are they trying to pick up the animal corpses?  They still have "No Job" listed.  They have "No Job" listed and they are still obsessively evacuating the fortress!  Ha ha you stupid dwarves stop suiciding I MEAN IT GUYS.

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9820 on: March 19, 2011, 01:30:58 pm »

I mean it, they all have "No Job" listed and they are actively sprinting out of the fort.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9821 on: March 19, 2011, 01:37:14 pm »

Did you ever destroy your waggon? It acts as a meeting zone.

Ghills: That option changes how zones are placed. Rectangle is standard. Floor Flow works like making a room. Flow is like floor flow, but IIRC it ignores walls.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9822 on: March 19, 2011, 02:22:40 pm »

Thanks, Lord Shonus.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9823 on: March 19, 2011, 04:39:42 pm »

Does a raised bridge, raised underneath a hole, block liquid from falling through the hole, as a wall does?

Just throwing this up again, as I don't see that it was answered.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9824 on: March 19, 2011, 04:44:41 pm »

What is the best way to get stone or Ore moved from a construction site?

Quantum stockpiling.  Designate a dump zone with (i), then mark all the stone to be dumped.  You can mass-mark an area for dumping with (d) (b) (d).

I like to dump the stone just outside the mason's workshop, then reclaim it all.  Makes future masonry go faster.

Remove the dump zone when you're done, or else you'll wonder where all those goblin corpses went and why your mason's shop is completely covered with miasma....

A few tips that I follow when working with dump zones:

- Put them within 5-10 steps of a major stairwell
- Possibly have 1 per major stairwell
- Periodically, you may wish to do a 'd' 'b' 'c' on them to reclaim stone
- If there's any chance of miasma issues, put it behind a pair of doors (fort - door - gap - door - dump pile)
- Try to limit the number of active dump zones
- Make sure you don't have to travel 3/4 around the map to get from one to the next (in case your dwarf decides that dump site on the other side of a wall is closer)
- Try to put stonecrafts, masons, and other high-volume users of stone near the dump sites
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 1178