Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116326 times)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9795 on: March 18, 2011, 05:48:47 pm »

Do you have an HFS layer?  in my experience, a map generated without one will have consistently empty volcanoes..

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9796 on: March 18, 2011, 05:52:05 pm »

Ooh. I haven't thought of specifying material by color. Are all shells dark green, or is that only for turtle shells? Must test...
The shell material template itself is dark green. The colour can be overwritten in the creature, but isn't for turtles (which are the only common creatures that give up shells).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9797 on: March 18, 2011, 06:58:17 pm »

Uh, my dwarves are able to buy Giant Eagles and Giant Bats and whatnot during embark.  :o

Is that because I set Exotic Animals to No?

c-106mc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9798 on: March 18, 2011, 08:42:37 pm »

Despite the fact I have several stray dogs with me, I can't train any of them into war dogs. The job keeps cancelling with "No creature". What's going on here (this also happened in another fort with more exotic animals that I bought form elves). Bug?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9799 on: March 18, 2011, 08:50:43 pm »

Have you read the wiki page on the kennel?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

c-106mc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9800 on: March 18, 2011, 09:06:05 pm »

Have you read the wiki page on the kennel?

Thanks, I completely forgot they couldn't be in a cage.

Snwh122

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9801 on: March 19, 2011, 12:52:25 am »

What is the best way to get stone or Ore moved from a construction site?
Perhaps its supposed to be done automatically, but my Dwarves refuse to build and end up suspending constructions if they have stone or ore on them

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9802 on: March 19, 2011, 12:59:06 am »

When it comes to refuse stockpiles and decay.

Will items decay in an outdoors, but roofed over area?  The area shows as "Light, Inside, Above Ground".  Do I need to leave it completely exposed to the air, without a roof in order to get decay of bodies?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9803 on: March 19, 2011, 01:00:37 am »

When it comes to refuse stockpiles and decay.

Will items decay in an outdoors, but roofed over area?  The area shows as "Light, Inside, Above Ground".  Do I need to leave it completely exposed to the air, without a roof in order to get decay of bodies?

Items that rot always rot, whether inside or out. I believe things only miasma underground, though I'd have to check...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9804 on: March 19, 2011, 01:31:25 am »

Do I need to embark in an evil biome to have a shot at encountering cave dragons?

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9805 on: March 19, 2011, 04:00:12 am »

nope, im on a savage wilds, and i was quite surprised, my map said there was a dead cave dragon when i embarked >.> i havnt found it yet though i ASSUME when i get to the point of finding it, there will be large ammounts of miasma

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9806 on: March 19, 2011, 06:01:13 am »

Do I need to embark in an evil biome to have a shot at encountering cave dragons?

For cave creatures, the [GOOD][EVIL][SAVAGE][BENIGN] tokens are ignored/doesn't seem to work properly. You can get all cave creatures in any external biome, it seems.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9807 on: March 19, 2011, 07:07:03 am »

Does grates allow fish to pass through? Also can fish swim upstream a river?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9808 on: March 19, 2011, 07:20:03 am »

Does grates allow fish to pass through? Also can fish swim upstream a river?
No (but there are bugs), Yes.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9809 on: March 19, 2011, 08:26:06 am »

What is the best way to get stone or Ore moved from a construction site?

Quantum stockpiling.  Designate a dump zone with (i), then mark all the stone to be dumped.  You can mass-mark an area for dumping with (d) (b) (d).

I like to dump the stone just outside the mason's workshop, then reclaim it all.  Makes future masonry go faster.

Remove the dump zone when you're done, or else you'll wonder where all those goblin corpses went and why your mason's shop is completely covered with miasma....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 1178