Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118979 times)

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4770 on: November 04, 2010, 01:26:44 pm »

More complex is dwarfier. Also the idea of flying dwarves makes me laugh.
Thanks for your help.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4771 on: November 04, 2010, 01:39:04 pm »

I can't find soap in the stockpile options.  :(
They're under bar/block stockpiles.

Dankjewel, now I feel silly.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: November 04, 2010, 01:54:10 pm »

Hello people.
My question is: I have a pit. How do i throw goblins in there? Goblins are caged.
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: November 04, 2010, 02:50:54 pm »

Hello people.
My question is: I have a pit. How do i throw goblins in there? Goblins are caged.

hit i, and go over your pit. You should be able to hit 'P' (capital) to change the pit's options (basically whether it's a pit or pond) and assign animals to it.

You might also want to stockpile your cages close to it, military units will probably not try to run but the thieves probably will.

GalileoMateo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: November 04, 2010, 03:04:11 pm »

I was bored and wasnt having enough !FUN! because a lack of a goblin civilization near me, so i killed some elf traders a little while ago in the hope of starting war! but the civilization page still says P, for peace!  So do i just have to wait longer till the elves siege me? or did my method not work?  Or will they try and trade again, and will i have to kill them againn in order to start war? thanks for the help!

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: November 04, 2010, 03:06:43 pm »

and make sure to disarm them - go d->b->d and dump their cages, then go with k to each cage and unforbid the cages. this way, your dwarves will dump the prisoner's equipment but not the cages themselves. then you can throw them in a pit more safely or, as i like to do, build the cages ( with b->j ) in front of some nicely placed weapon traps (serrated blades should make a colourful mess of them), connect them to levers and release the goblins onto the traps. the result is pre-butchered goblins at no risk to your dwarves.

maybe then build a pump to flush their corpses onto a conveniently placed refuse pile, but i'm getting ahead of myself.  ;D
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4776 on: November 04, 2010, 03:59:12 pm »

This is quite the odd one :/ I saved my game, and it's coming up as "Region1-win-127-spr-128" and it's only loading the win127 bit (where it autosaved) Is there any way to get it to load spr128 where I saved, or am I just screwed to repeat everything? I can't find the autosave for spr128 either.

I'm playing the .16 version of the overly lazy newb pack.

I'm just complaining because I had surrounded my fortress with a very intricate wall/parapet/trap formation, and it would be such a pain to do it all over again :(

Also, as for the dumping items from caged goblins, I find it better to go through the stocks screen and unforbid/dump their weapons and shields, that way your military gets more exp hitting the armored goblins. Just be sure to dump the shields, they can get lucky with them.

Bah, just took a dip into the save files and they're all from the winter autosave, essentially the game acted like I never saved at all, just over wrote the spr128 with win127 and left the tag to mock me :(
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 04:26:25 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: November 04, 2010, 04:24:24 pm »

I havea  question!

Using the May Green tileset,  my guys are walking around with flashing Xs on them, like flood gates, what does it mean?
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: November 04, 2010, 04:30:23 pm »

I dunno what colour Xs they are, so use this for reference.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: November 04, 2010, 04:36:34 pm »

I dunno what colour Xs they are, so use this for reference.

My tileset isn't like that though :/ They seem to have stopped though...
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: November 04, 2010, 04:49:23 pm »

Were they immigrants? I've seen immigrants do that in vanilla.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: November 04, 2010, 04:55:22 pm »

Were they immigrants? I've seen immigrants do that in vanilla.

Some were, it started off when there were immigrants coming but I think it spread, was quite worried!

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: November 04, 2010, 05:09:27 pm »

Another little question: 5 level pit is enough for goblins? i have thrown some animals in it(cats to be precise) , they all died...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:11:19 pm by Diverso »
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: November 04, 2010, 05:17:16 pm »

I'd go with ten or more, to be safe.
Also, line the pit with upright spikes, they injure creatures falling on them.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: November 04, 2010, 07:27:15 pm »

I was bored and wasnt having enough !FUN! because a lack of a goblin civilization near me, so i killed some elf traders a little while ago in the hope of starting war! but the civilization page still says P, for peace!  So do i just have to wait longer till the elves siege me? or did my method not work?  Or will they try and trade again, and will i have to kill them againn in order to start war? thanks for the help!

It may take you a few tries to get a war going. Additionally, I don't believe that the civ page updates your relations until they actually attack you.
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 1178