Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118963 times)

Burning_Iceman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4755 on: November 04, 2010, 06:35:01 am »

This does give them a headstart on gathering the best gear, since everyone else who might grab that masterwork breastplate hot off the forge is busy doing an honest day's work.
Equipment isn't assigned by "first come first served" but instead by the priority set in m-e-P regardless of current activities.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: November 04, 2010, 09:56:52 am »

little question on water:
water pushes things, right?

lot of water flowing will pushes goblins and stuff around

does it also pushes megabeast, titans and the likes?

bonus: are pushed titans triggering traps as if falling?

it pushes goblins around just fine. titans i think it does too cause i think i managed to push one around a bit with my pump, but not sure. megabeasts, maybe. i think i've seen monsters close to megabeast size get pushed around by sufficient amounts of water so i'd say its very possible, i just havent tried it.

i dont know if pushing makes titans or anyone else behave like they're falling, on traps or wherever, but if your weapon traps dont work, place spear traps next to them and have a dwarf pull them repeatedly from somewhere safe (and make sure noone friendly is passing through). i found that while weapon traps get clogged and also need some time to reset even though they're automatic, spear traps work nicely even with meat on their sticks (i guess it falls loose when they return to the ground) and will even fuck titans up (maybe even megabeasts etc.) which i didnt expect. my spear and weapon traps had 10/10 weapons equipped though, i guess that makes a difference to how unfortunate the accidents they cause are.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Pagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #4757 on: November 04, 2010, 10:05:07 am »

Easy question....... Mud..... how do I clean it?

Have a ruined living area. totally coated in mud, floors and walls. And I'd really like it to go back to how it was.
I tried building a floor block and deconstructing it, but then that tile cannot be smoothed and engraved again.

Totally boggling my mind.
My gf thinks sex will stop me from playing dwarf fortress.
Little does she know that will never work, a beard doesnt look good on her.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: November 04, 2010, 10:19:48 am »

I think magma will do.

probably also building floors over it

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: November 04, 2010, 10:24:36 am »

Easy question....... Mud..... how do I clean it?

Have a ruined living area. totally coated in mud, floors and walls. And I'd really like it to go back to how it was.
I tried building a floor block and deconstructing it, but then that tile cannot be smoothed and engraved again.

Totally boggling my mind.

Simple, really.

First, you channel out the floors. Then, you re-cast them in obsidian. Then you do the same with the walls.

As a bonus, you also get more valuable walls and floors, and if they get muddy again, you can just repeat.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: November 04, 2010, 12:07:08 pm »

I only have one little question : is there a way to make dwarves falling from some z-levels without them being injured ?

PS: Sorry for my bad english

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4761 on: November 04, 2010, 12:11:37 pm »

A dwarf who falls one Z-level will only be stunned, not injured.  If you only drop him one level at a time, he'll be fine.

If a dwarf falls any distance and lands on another animal, he and the animal will both be stunned but uninjured.  If you drop a dwarf down a shaft whose bottom is full of kittens or something, he should be fine.

Water may cushion falls to some degree, but how deep of a depth of water you need per distance fallen to be safe is not yet determined.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: November 04, 2010, 12:18:10 pm »

an injured dwarf was diagnosed, set to have cleaning, then surgery, then suturing etc but then when the doctors cleaned the patient with soap(child) then all the other scheduled treatments were removed and now they just leave him there, . i tried taking his bed away but they put him on another one and continued as if nothing had happened

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: November 04, 2010, 12:18:27 pm »

Ok thank you, I'll try soon.
I just wanted to shorten the time my dwarves need to get from the surface to the bottom of my fortress (magma glass furnaces 75 lvl below the ground eat a lot of time for sand collection)

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: November 04, 2010, 12:25:30 pm »

I just wanted to shorten the time my dwarves need to get from the surface to the bottom of my fortress (magma glass furnaces 75 lvl below the ground eat a lot of time for sand collection)

If that's what you need... I think it would be best to collect sand at the top, then "dump" the full bags down an empty shaft 75 Z levels down, then you can mass unforbid them with d-b-c. Simply designate a one square garbage zone next to the shaft and it should work.

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: November 04, 2010, 12:31:58 pm »

Yeah... But doing this with dwarves is always more Fun and it could be transformed as an emergency defense system I think. Also my nobles will  very happy to know that they are chosen as test subjects

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4766 on: November 04, 2010, 12:34:25 pm »

Why is there so much soap laying around the military barracks? Is this just coincidence, a bug of some sort, or are my soldier boys getting REALLY dirty in the wrassling club?
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: November 04, 2010, 12:37:28 pm »

you got a stockpile that accepts soap bars?

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4768 on: November 04, 2010, 12:43:24 pm »

I can't find soap in the stockpile options.  :(
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4769 on: November 04, 2010, 12:59:00 pm »

The problem is, there's no way to order your dwarves to jump down a shaft.  They won't take your shortcut on their own, so you'll have to manually force them to stand on a retracting hatch or something in order to drop them.  You'd be much better off making a sandbag stockpile near the surface, then having them dump sandbags from that stockpile down the shaft, then unforbidding the sandbags at the bottom for your glassmaking dwarves to use.

I can't find soap in the stockpile options.  :(
They're under bar/block stockpiles.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 1178