Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117843 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4485 on: October 20, 2010, 10:59:01 am »

- Linked with the problem above, is there a way to change the profession of a dwarf? I used Dwarf Manager to take the permission of cutting gems for the Gemcutter and gave him the Permission to mine. I hoped that way he would just dig and have something to do and not going on a Dwarf killingspree like the other guy. But he didnt mine and just stood there doin nuthin, and after a while he went melancholy and died of thirst (i should have build razorblades just so i can enjoy the death of the Sucker!)
There's a known bug in Dwarf Manager. Any job that requires tools won't work.

You can select a dwarf with [v], and then add mining to his labor preferences from [p][l].

- My biggest Problem is finding a good Place to embark. I used the finder but either he didnt spew out a Place with a Mountain or there where no Limestones (you need them for Iron and stuff?). It would be good to know what i actually NEED at the place i want to build, my last fortress wasnt able to make Iron and Steel, shortly after they were Slaughtered by a Goblin Ambush because i had only Wood Weapons and some Leather armor.
Finding a good newbie embark isn't that hard.

What you need is a river, flux stone, low savagery, and no aquifers. You can search for that stuff with the sitefinder. The only other thing you need is a Sedimentary layer, and those are easy to see. On the list of stone layers in an embark the Sedimentary rocks are in white letters.

As for early defense there are two things you should do. First if you need metal weapons copper and silver ones are fine. If you have no metal at all you should buy some metal weapons and armor of the next caravan.

Second you should make a moat around your fortress entrance. You can fill it with river water, or leave it dry as long as you remove the ramps from the bottom. You leave a small entrance for caravans and such, but you protect that with a line or three of cage traps.

Nick

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: October 20, 2010, 12:55:41 pm »

Is there something I can make that works like a doormat? I just spotted a cat with ELEVEN PAGES of blood coverings on it's paws, along with some mud, flour, dyes, and sand.

leave it! its like a dna map of your fortress!

is there a way to exploit blood cloning in water to make a reservoir of it? like make channels and all and have it flow through the fortress?  :D
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #4487 on: October 20, 2010, 01:16:23 pm »

Finding a good newbie embark isn't that hard.

What you need is a river, flux stone, low savagery, and no aquifers. You can search for that stuff with the sitefinder. The only other thing you need is a Sedimentary layer, and those are easy to see. On the list of stone layers in an embark the Sedimentary rocks are in white letters.

Having access to sand is useful too, although at least now you can buy it off merchants.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

petebull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: October 20, 2010, 04:49:44 pm »

No, not sedimentary but flux is coded in white. Sedimentary is brown,  and flux is only needed for steel production.

ISC: it is the sedimentary, I confused it with sedimentary.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:19:30 pm by petebull »

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: October 20, 2010, 06:01:36 pm »

No, not sedimentary but flux is coded in white. Sedimentary is brown,  and flux is only needed for steel production.

Sedimentary layers 'are' the white layers.  3 of the types of Sedimentary layers are Dolomite, Chalk and Limestone - which are Flux stones.  Marble (a 4th type of Flux) is a Metamorphic type of Layer.  The only other Flux is Calcite, which is 'only' found in Limestone or Marble. 

Sedimentary Layers will be the only place you will find the two types of Coal - Bituminous and Lignite. 

Sedimentary Layers will also be the major source of the 3 types of Iron ores (Hematite, Magnetite, and Limonite).  Hematite can occasionally be found in Igneous extrusive layers.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Stone_layers
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:09:29 pm by GJScarritt »

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: October 20, 2010, 06:24:24 pm »

Has Toady fixed the Rock Short Sword bug yet?

And if so, in which version?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: October 20, 2010, 06:32:29 pm »

Okay, I've confined all the miserable dwarves to the trade depot to keep them out of trouble. How do I get the last few outliers to listen to being restricted to a burrow?

Should I just massacre the lot to save time? I have ballistae set up.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: October 20, 2010, 06:39:03 pm »

Okay, I've confined all the miserable dwarves to the trade depot to keep them out of trouble. How do I get the last few outliers to listen to being restricted to a burrow?

Wait, are you trying to kill your dwarves or use the trade depot? Granted, they are fairly related, but it helps to know what you're trying to do.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: October 20, 2010, 06:43:48 pm »

Has Toady fixed the Rock Short Sword bug yet?

And if so, in which version?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/changelog_page.php

According to this, .13

- 0000256: [Dwarf Mode -- Jobs, Items] "Make Rock Short Sword" results in wooden short sword (Toady One) - resolved.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: October 20, 2010, 06:51:05 pm »

Wait, are you trying to kill your dwarves or use the trade depot? Granted, they are fairly related, but it helps to know what you're trying to do.

I'm trying to stem a tantrum spiral by isolating the very unhappy and miserable dwarves. The trade depot was enclosed with a bridge and lockable doors, as is standard practice.
I say WAS because someone smashed it.

However, I used a burrow to assign them there, and some aren't going. I disabled the labours on anyone assigned there.
I also have a set of manned ballistae at one end, ready to be fired in, and I'm wondering if I should just fire them off and hope for the best.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4495 on: October 20, 2010, 06:52:55 pm »

However, I used a burrow to assign them there, and some aren't going. I disabled the labours on anyone assigned there.
Dwarves won't go to a burrow unless they have something to do there.  Burrows don't forbid dwarves from leaving or compel them to be in the burrow, they just make every object or building outside the burrow forbidden to dwarves assigned to that burrow.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: October 20, 2010, 07:00:26 pm »

So what you want to do is set up some stockpiles inside the area you want them in, then burrow some stockpiles outside where you want them, then remove the outside stockpiles, so they will haul the stuff where you want.

Then, you can just alternate between two inside stockpiles to keep them in there.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: October 20, 2010, 07:13:28 pm »

Dwarves won't go to a burrow unless they have something to do there.  Burrows don't forbid dwarves from leaving or compel them to be in the burrow, they just make every object or building outside the burrow forbidden to dwarves assigned to that burrow.

Most of them mosied on in there when I assigned them to it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: October 20, 2010, 08:29:52 pm »

Most of them mosied on in there when I assigned them to it.

You can force dwarves into a burrow using the alert system.

1)Set the civilian alert to Active (or create a custom alert titled Emergency for future use) and link that alert to the desired burrow. All civilian dwarves should move to the burrow.
2)Draft any dwarves you want to save and move them outside the burrow.
3)Seal off the burrowed dwarves via method of choice. For example, wall off the entrances.
4)End alert, wait for the sounds of scratching and screaming to stop coming from the other side of the wall. Never speak of it again.
5)???
6)Profit!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: October 21, 2010, 01:06:37 am »

Is it possible for a dwarf to be accidentally maimed by a gear assembly? My dwarf was walking over one to get to the water wheel he was constructing and suddenly there was blood everywhere. I couldn't find any other cause for the injury, unless he was having a friendly game of Battle-Axe-Tag with his co-workers.
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 1178