Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117707 times)

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4470 on: October 19, 2010, 04:28:06 pm »

i can tell this ones been asked a million times over, but how do you make pig iron products for mandates, do steel bars count?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4471 on: October 19, 2010, 04:54:29 pm »

i can tell this ones been asked a million times over, but how do you make pig iron products for mandates, do steel bars count?
Make pig iron bars at your furnace.  You can't make anything out of pig iron directly, and doing something that uses pig iron as a raw material (such as making steel) doesn't count, so the only thing you can do to meet the mandate is make more pig iron bars.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: October 19, 2010, 05:49:58 pm »

what if they ask for chipmunk leather items?

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: October 19, 2010, 06:00:36 pm »

what if they ask for chipmunk leather items?

make them the only leatherworker in the fortress and wait. in time, they will end the mandate and call for disciplinary action on the ones responsible - which ofcourse, is them. they will get beat up or killed (which is better for cooking) and you'll be a noble down which is always an upper!

if this doesnt work, skin a chipmunk - if you're lucky you'll be able to buy one of a caravan or something.

:P
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 06:03:03 pm by plynxis »
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: October 19, 2010, 06:30:18 pm »

Chipmunk leather?

Set up a noble-killing device.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: October 19, 2010, 10:02:05 pm »

Can't get the lye out of the water.
So what can I do? I'd dump the buckets but I'm afraid the water in the buckets would make obsidian and clog my magma refuse pit.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: October 19, 2010, 11:21:59 pm »

Is there something I can make that works like a doormat? I just spotted a cat with ELEVEN PAGES of blood coverings on it's paws, along with some mud, flour, dyes, and sand.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: October 19, 2010, 11:47:17 pm »

Can't get the lye out of the water.
So what can I do? I'd dump the buckets but I'm afraid the water in the buckets would make obsidian and clog my magma refuse pit.

I don't know. That's why I tried to clarify your question for the people who might know...

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4478 on: October 19, 2010, 11:50:05 pm »

Is there something I can make that works like a doormat? I just spotted a cat with ELEVEN PAGES of blood coverings on it's paws, along with some mud, flour, dyes, and sand.
If you're playing .16, simply make a channel in your entrance, have a bucket brigade fill it with 2/7 water, voila, instant washing machine for anything that walks into it.
The reason why I say .16 is that in .16 you have the option to turn blood spreading off I do believe, so even though the blood gets washed off, it doesn't get transferred into the water.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: October 20, 2010, 12:09:36 am »

Tantrum spiral sparked due to losses from a goblin siege followed by ambushes, during which I forgot to keep an eye on booze stocks.
The death toll is rising as people pick fights.
Migrants.
The miners seem fine.

HALP WHAT DO I DO TO SAVE MY DWARVES.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4480 on: October 20, 2010, 12:31:57 am »

Tantrum spiral sparked due to losses from a goblin siege followed by ambushes, during which I forgot to keep an eye on booze stocks.
The death toll is rising as people pick fights.
Migrants.
The miners seem fine.

HALP WHAT DO I DO TO SAVE MY DWARVES.
Isolate the miners and the migrants, assuming the miners don't go insane you now have a small amount of dwarves to restart the fortress with without completely abandoning!
Basically once a tantrum spiral starts it's very hard to stop, unless maybe you have a newly installed mist generator. :P

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: October 20, 2010, 12:48:40 am »

Not enough water on the map for a mist generator, sadly.
I tried releasing the hounds, bears, and cougar to try and calm things down, took the military off duty, and changed the meeting zone.

My current plan is to sleep on it and see if I can salvage it. Otherwise, embark by a damned river this time.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: October 20, 2010, 01:29:06 am »

Hole up the migrants. They don't have any friends, so they should be okay as long as they don't start taking casualties.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: October 20, 2010, 06:54:10 am »

=======
=.%%~=
==+====

Pump from left, places water in the right.  There is no where for the water to go, because the z-level above it has a floor hatch/cover of some sort.  Once that one little water tile gets 7/7, does the pump just stop pumping, or does more than 7/7 get condensed into that one area?  And when I open up the covering, does it just explode upwards, or some such?

Sorry, water pressure has always confused me in the game, so I want to get some understanding without testing myself because I'm lazy.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4484 on: October 20, 2010, 07:43:17 am »

=======
=.%%~=
==+====

Pump from left, places water in the right.  There is no where for the water to go, because the z-level above it has a floor hatch/cover of some sort.  Once that one little water tile gets 7/7, does the pump just stop pumping, or does more than 7/7 get condensed into that one area?  And when I open up the covering, does it just explode upwards, or some such?
Pumps will never push water to a level higher than the output of the pump, so regardless of whether the Z-level above has a hatch or not the water will not travel upwards out of the output square of the pump.  The pump will continue turning and attempting to pump, but no more water will be transferred because the output square of the pump is already full of water.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 1178