Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117599 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4380 on: October 16, 2010, 02:22:54 am »

Not to my knowledge. Giant Jaguar raws are in creature_savage_tropical if you want to mod them into pets from exotics (just remove the _EXOTIC from the PET_EXOTIC tag).

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: October 16, 2010, 03:17:09 am »

A 2x1 tunnel with 34 depth won't trigger a plate/hatch linkage although the 3 and 4 depths seem to alternate. My dorfs must work on !!Science!! tonight.

Urist McInsano: Ofcourse! Don't you know anything about SCIENCE!!?!

ok about the announcements, there are 2 places you can tune em at. one is the announcements.txt in data/init and there is also an option in the orders menu (o -> a for announcements i think) in the game thats about how much it informs you about job cancellations. personally i have it tell me all job cancellations but i changed annoucnements.txt to stop that incredibly nervewracking pause-and-center every time my miners hit a damp stone... imagine that if you're trying to penetrate the aquifer...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 03:32:40 am by plynxis »
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: October 16, 2010, 04:15:00 am »

what were the RAW manipulations to make Obsidian appear on the z-stocks menu?

It says on the wiki you can't make it appear on the stone menu, but you CAN toggle it's allowed/not allowed status.

I tried this, and it worked.

You have to remove its "max edge" tag from the raws to allow it to be used for general purposes.
To clarify, the tag is [MAX_EDGE:20000] under [INORGANIC:OBSIDIAN] in the file
data\save\regionX\raw\objects\inorganic_stone_layer.txt

You can add it back after using all the obsidian you need, and the game will which it back to its "cannot use" status.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: October 16, 2010, 05:14:49 am »

No, it will preserve the state you set it in. Changing the edge raws makes it show up in the stone list.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: October 16, 2010, 07:25:30 am »

1. How do I equip my hunter? The Military screen is head-explodey.

2. Is there a simpler way to irrigate underground? I tunneled to a pond and now I'm waiting for it to fill.

1. generally hunters will equip themselves but will only hunt if they can get all the equipment they need (AFAIK), that is a crossbow, bolts and a quiver. from the military screen you just appoint the number of bolts allocated to hunters in total

2. well i dont know of any simpler ways (and honestly i enjoy flooding so much i dont care :P) but an aquifer will generally pump out a lot of water faster than ponds, so just make a floodgate, mine through, shut the farm room up with a door and wait till every tile has at least 1/7 water on it. is a lot faster than ponds are but is still the same method.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: October 16, 2010, 02:28:31 pm »

Does suturing an eye cause any loss of function?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: October 16, 2010, 02:51:53 pm »

Do butchers receive happy thought / work satisfaction from butchering working with animals they like?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: October 16, 2010, 04:49:41 pm »

Can't seem to find this anywhere...

Will war animals breed?  Or do they have to stay stray?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: October 16, 2010, 05:21:08 pm »

Rephikul, I believe they do, strangely enough. My butcher has the "was satisfied at work lately" which they only get if they come into close proximity with something they like during their duties. There's nothing he likes anywhere near the butcher's shop, so I must assume it's his fondness for mules.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: October 16, 2010, 06:25:38 pm »

Can't seem to find this anywhere...

Will war animals breed?  Or do they have to stay stray?

They do breed!
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4390 on: October 16, 2010, 07:00:55 pm »

My butcher has the "was satisfied at work lately" which they only get if they come into close proximity with something they like during their duties.
Are you sure that's what that means?  My impression was that it meant that they had an adequate amount of work with a job they had a skill with, whereas the thought "upset about lack of work last season" meant they hadn't done enough work that they had a relevant skill with.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: October 16, 2010, 08:54:25 pm »

Satisfied at work lately means they're pleased to have done some work.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: October 16, 2010, 09:03:54 pm »

what's the fastest way to train glassmaking? I'm hoping for a strange mood, eventually, but in the meantime, I want me some masterwork clear glass pipe sections!

DorfMonger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: October 16, 2010, 09:08:08 pm »

Hey there, I just got into dwarf fortress and I've never encountered magma before. To that end, I decided to rectify that, so I used the reveal hack to find me some nice magma only to find that the only magma on my map was a few levels above the great magma sea.

So I've decided to embark on a silly project to build an artificial volcano by basically pumping magma from the sea, up to a holding cistern on top of my mountain, ready to be unleashed upon any poor fools at a moment's notice. And also get some damn magma forges up so I don't have to use coal.

What's troubling me is that there are several extensive cave systems on the way down and little way around them. If I want to get any meaningful size of industry done, I need to go through those caverns.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to go about it. I've found a couple of birdmen tribes down there, which I think I can kill easily, but not much else. Furthermore, I don't quite know how to go about. At first I was thinking of just burrowing my way in, walling that section of the cavern off, and working in the space that I created, but I dunno how well that would work.

Any tips you could give a newbie like me what to do? I was reading up on the great magma piston, but I think that's outside my capacity, and I wanted to make a constantly flowing river of magma, while the magma piston only works once to get one massive reservoir of magma.

TL;DR: I want the delicious magma, but only magma I can find is from the magma sea. There are several caverns in the way filled with Urist knows what and I have no idea how to get a magma pump going, nevermind in a cavern. So, what the hell should I do?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4394 on: October 16, 2010, 09:08:42 pm »

what's the fastest way to train glassmaking? I'm hoping for a strange mood, eventually, but in the meantime, I want me some masterwork clear glass pipe sections!

First, have access to sand and magma.  Built a magma glass furnace, and a few normal glass furnaces. 

Make a sandbag stockpile right next to your magma glass furnace. 

Set the magma glass furnace so that only the dwarf you want to train for glassmaking can use it.  Set the non-magma glass furnaces so anyone but him can use them.

Designate a sand gathering zone on some sandy floor somewhere.

On the non-magma glass furnaces, set sand gathering on repeat.  Have a team of dwarves with nothing but item hauling enabled constantly gathering sand.  You will want to have built a lot of cloth or leather bags first.

Once you have some sand built up, set your magma glass furnace to repeat production of raw green glass.  This will train up your glassmaker, and the resulting raw green glass can be used to train up your gemcutter.  Alternately, mass-produce green glass blocks and build a green glass tower or pyramid or something.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 1178