Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117587 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4410 on: October 17, 2010, 01:06:32 pm »

Gimpy mcWrestler is missing a leg. He's never gonna move again, is he?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: October 17, 2010, 03:11:58 pm »

there's like a 1% chance he'll use a crutch

he's more useful if, say, a "surgical" accident happens and he ends up being used for bone crafts  ;D

just make sure people dont cry over him too much. hehe
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

aslambilal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: October 17, 2010, 03:25:40 pm »

How do i calculate how long my food/drink stores will last me?

Currently Food Stores - 6500
Seeds - 876
Drink - 754
Other - 4716

Thanks plynxis

Looks like i need to brew a lot more

8 food/yr
6500 / 8 = 812.5 years

16 drink/yr
754 / 16 = 47 years
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 04:27:08 pm by aslambilal »

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: October 17, 2010, 03:31:21 pm »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: October 17, 2010, 03:45:53 pm »

How long does smoke stick around?  My trade depot got burned down by a dragon, and nothing is left burning but the smoke never seems to dissipate.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: October 17, 2010, 04:03:32 pm »

Is this normal that I have a part of the 2nd cavern with a forever collapsing roof ?
Each time I load the save there is a cave in.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4416 on: October 17, 2010, 04:04:34 pm »

Is this normal that I have a part of the 2nd cavern with a forever collapsing roof ?
Each time I load the save there is a cave in.
I've seen this happen when there is floating muddied open space in the caverns.  Underground trees grow, and then cave in - but for some reason, only on loading the save.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: October 17, 2010, 05:57:28 pm »

Do animal-people need to eat and drink? I caught a thirsty tigerman in my array of cage traps, and I want to know if I can stuff him into a cage without worry.
I mean, he's a high master wrestler and fighter thanks to being in there when the last titan attacked.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: October 17, 2010, 05:59:10 pm »

Do animal-people need to eat and drink? I caught a thirsty tigerman in my array of cage traps, and I want to know if I can stuff him into a cage without worry.
I mean, he's a high master wrestler and fighter thanks to being in there when the last titan attacked.
Animal people DO need to eat. Make sure he has a healthy diet of meat and water. The well gathering said water MUST, and when I mean MUST, I mean MUST, have ONLY 1 z-level between the source and well.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: October 17, 2010, 06:08:20 pm »

Yeesh.

Well, the well's set up like that, and there's plenty of food around, so he can hang around with his wife and start a family.

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: October 17, 2010, 06:56:41 pm »

I've caught my first cyclops. The plan is to place him in a channel between the two bridges that lead to my fort, so that when a siege comes I can raise both bridges, then release him to tear the stuck attackers apart. The problem is that I'm not sure how to move untamed caged animals. The last time I tried moving some caged deers, they broke free in the middle of moving and...yeah. I don't want that to happen with this guy. Do I place the cage and then assign the cyclops to it, or is there some way to move the cage he's already in?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: October 17, 2010, 08:36:40 pm »

|b|uild a ca|j|e, choose the place, and when it asks you what kind of cage you want to build, e|x|pand the list and look for one that says "cyclops cage (material)". Then your dwarves will move the cage with the cyclops in it.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: October 17, 2010, 09:22:25 pm »

Sorry if this has been answered, but I've got no idea how to search for it.

Starting fort - only 17 dwarves, and all very busy.  Now three of them have become militia and are standing around "can't follow orders".  Trouble is, I have no militia, no soldiers show up in [m] or , and there are no barracks or anything.  I'm using version 12 (and won't upgrade until someone makes another lazy newbies pack).

Any ideas? A known bug? How do I unmilitia them and get them doing something useful.

Actually, I've 'solved' it by making them a squad, and only have one of training at a time, but I would have preferred not to.  Any ideas?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: October 17, 2010, 09:29:23 pm »

i was wondering what that lazy newbies pack was so i did a forum search and this came up :P

i dont know how you can fix that militia thing - did they just spontaneously turn into militia? try putting them in a squad and disbanding it - the old uninstall and reboot thing :P

do they have any professions enabled? it shouldn't matter but maybe giving them a job will make them snap out of it

edit -
How long does smoke stick around?  My trade depot got burned down by a dragon, and nothing is left burning but the smoke never seems to dissipate.

i just tested it in object testing mode - burning a dwarf didnt produce smoke so i burned an elk (man i think), olm woman and a giantess. regardless of what burned, from the moment they died till the smoke completely dissipated it was 7 seconds. usually took them about 3 to burn to death.....

MWHAHAHAHAHA!

so yeah, if nothing is burning and thus nothing is producing smoke, it should go away in like 7 seconds and noticeably dissipate - so its either bugged or you didnt notice something still burning. i've never had something burn but the wiki says burning items look like !!this!! on the item screen so you can either (k) around or just check stocks maybe.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:47:56 pm by plynxis »

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: October 17, 2010, 10:10:16 pm »

Okay, forgive a possibly stupid question but what effect does fertilizing have on crops? And is it even necessary?
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 1178