Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117576 times)

AlfFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4365 on: October 15, 2010, 03:23:41 pm »

Also, I want to build a refuse pile underground, but I want it to be outdoors so I'm thinking of channeling down say 10 or 12 z levels, then digging out a big room there which will connect to my fortress from within. If I cover that hole with a grate, is it safe from possible enemies? They can bust open grates correct?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4366 on: October 15, 2010, 03:33:03 pm »

Also, I want to build a refuse pile underground, but I want it to be outdoors so I'm thinking of channeling down say 10 or 12 z levels, then digging out a big room there which will connect to my fortress from within. If I cover that hole with a grate, is it safe from possible enemies? They can bust open grates correct?
You can cover it with a solid floor.  Miasma generation is determined by being above ground, not indoors, and a tile of the map which has been above ground once is considered above ground forever.  Channel down, place your refuse pile, then build a solid floor above it to protect from flying enemies.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: October 15, 2010, 04:38:55 pm »

Both my miners are badly wounded from a channeling accident. How can I get them to dig channels WITHOUT standing on ground that'll vanish?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: October 15, 2010, 04:40:44 pm »

Channel just one row at a time, and make sure they always have someplace stable to stand on.

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: October 15, 2010, 04:54:20 pm »

Does anyone else think that there's about to be a protest when you see a dorf with the job "Organize Striking Demonstration"?

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: October 15, 2010, 05:14:41 pm »

Does anyone else think that there's about to be a protest when you see a dorf with the job "Organize Striking Demonstration"?

lol, never thought of that

on channeling: dwarves process designations and stuff in a LIFO manner (as the wiki says, Last In First Out) - that means, what you designate last gets done first. it also means that -generally- designations that are stated in chunks will be completed in chunks. what i mean is, you dont necessarily have to designate a channel row and wait for it to finish, just designate a row, [enter] it, designate the next, [enter] it as well and so on till you have the whole area designated. usually when i do this they dont actually strictly follow the LIFO approach but they never get into accidents (well so far at least), so i guess its pretty safe.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: October 15, 2010, 05:27:27 pm »

How do I clear contaminants from my entrance? It's inside above ground, and taking the roof off and adding a pond zone over it didn't do much except add mud.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: October 15, 2010, 06:01:06 pm »

if you mean blood, vomit and stuff, i think dwarves with the cleaning labor take care of those - eventually...

i like leaving them around though - they're like engravings, only liquid, smelly and give you ticklish thoughts when you look at them
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 06:04:30 pm by plynxis »
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: October 15, 2010, 08:01:47 pm »

My understanding of water/pressure plates:

Given a 4x1 tunnel filled with water to depth 3334, the 2010 wiki is unclear but the 40d section on water says the 4/7 level will 'move around'. The same page (evaporation) suggests that the 4/7 depth might be something less than 4/7.

If a pressure plate set to 4/7 min/max is somewhere in the hallway will it periodically trigger?

An alternate depth would be 1222 (1/1 plate) which should eventually all evaporate (which could then trigger something else.)

I'm in a location where I can't test. ):

To answer my own question, this works quite well--I didn't get a good time sample because I linked a floodgate to the pressure plate (like the noob I am) instead of a hatch. Even so that's probably not a horrible idea for a timer if you don't want instant on/off triggering.

With a small test sample I was seeing 12-54 seconds between on/off (or off/on) triggers.

[edit] A 2x1 tunnel with 34 depth won't trigger a plate/hatch linkage although the 3 and 4 depths seem to alternate. My dorfs must work on !!Science!! tonight.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:29:26 pm by eggrock »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: October 15, 2010, 08:45:19 pm »

How so I stop the announcement spam from cancelled jobs, and how the hell do I get casts onto dwarves without causing it?

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: October 15, 2010, 09:11:48 pm »

How so I stop the announcement spam from cancelled jobs, and how the hell do I get casts onto dwarves without causing it?

I'm not aware of any way to turn the announcements off. You have to treat the disease, not the symptoms.

Is the cancellation spam "patient not resting"? Try locking the doctor and patients in the hospital and everyone else out. Sometimes when the patient is on a table or traction bench, dorfs with "recover wounded" labor will carry him to a bed in the middle of an operation.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: October 15, 2010, 09:52:14 pm »

The issue was me trying to fiddle buckets to get someone to drop a loaded one to unstick the bone doctor.

Was fixed by removing the pond zone, and the unusable loaded bucket being used by the bone doctor as I'd hoped.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: October 15, 2010, 11:53:25 pm »

Okay. I know it's a double post, but I want to bump the thread in order to get an answer for yet ANOTHER quandry in my quest to finally fucking understand healthcare and the military.

So. Urist McWounded cancels clean self: Area inaccessible. He has a cast on. So does someone else who recently gave the same alert.
Is this due to the cast stopping them going outdoors to the murky pool just outside?
Is it the outside, or the long walk?
Or is it having to path through the various layers of blood and mud in the entranceway?

He keeps picking up soap, cancelling, and putting it back, then going outside but stopping once he hits dirt, and cancelling. Then going for soap again.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:03:30 am by Skorpion »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: October 16, 2010, 12:21:18 am »

Skorpion -- have you tried forbidding all soap not in the hospital?

And a question for the thread: I withdraw this question, as I somehow managed to answer it on my own.

A new question for the thread: what were the RAW manipulations to make Obsidian appear on the z-stocks menu?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:24:10 am by veok »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: October 16, 2010, 01:15:55 am »

The forbidding trick worked.

Will the dungeon master show up at all, so I can train this giant jaguar I just caught?

Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 1178