Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116613 times)

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4020 on: October 01, 2010, 11:35:08 pm »

Oh OK, so it's just a bug right now? Guess I'll just forbid all the soap. Will the doctors still use it to clean patients, even if I've "Forbidden" the soap?
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: October 01, 2010, 11:38:40 pm »

Lockdown the hospital before unforbidding it, or just make sure no other dwarves are cleaning themselves.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4022 on: October 01, 2010, 11:50:46 pm »

Where do Dwarves attempt to go to clean themselves, and how can I make that damn place accessible? X_X
You are seeing this message not because dwarves can't find the place to clean themselves, but because dwarves don't know how to use soap.  Forbid all soap not in your hospital to stop this message.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: October 01, 2010, 11:53:53 pm »

My macedwarf lost her left hand, and now she's holding her shield and her mace in her right hand.

Is this a bug or a feature?

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: October 02, 2010, 12:10:49 am »

If a building is encased in ice, does it deconstruct?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: October 02, 2010, 01:30:38 am »

Where do Dwarves attempt to go to clean themselves, and how can I make that damn place accessible? X_X
I suspect the actual solution to your problem is to (b)uild a Cabinet or Bag [sorry, don't know the hotkeys off the top of my head] in your hospital, store all your soap therein, & never make any more.

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: October 02, 2010, 01:36:25 am »

i have a reservoir with magma. I'm pumping it into a small reservoir one z level higher. Once the smaller reservoir is full, I know the pumps keep going, they don't stop. Will this waste all the magma left in the bigger reservoir?
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: October 02, 2010, 02:09:17 am »

I suspect the actual solution to your problem is to (b)uild a Cabinet or Bag [sorry, don't know the hotkeys off the top of my head] in your hospital, store all your soap therein, & never make any more.
Worthy of note: you don't need a lot of soap.  One bar provides 150 units which lasts a looong time (unless you're cleaning patients non-stop).  When I first figured out how to make it, I went crazy and had like 50 bars of soap.  One bar lasted me 5 years or something.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: October 02, 2010, 02:25:50 am »

i have a reservoir with magma. I'm pumping it into a small reservoir one z level higher. Once the smaller reservoir is full, I know the pumps keep going, they don't stop. Will this waste all the magma left in the bigger reservoir?
If the recieving reservoir is at the same level as the output tile of the pump, then no more magma will be transferred while it is full, pumps generate "Pressure" sufficient to raise the liquid being pumped to their own level, no higher.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: October 02, 2010, 03:24:00 am »

Anyway, sorry for complaining - I have had NO dwarves with Diagnostic skills in the last two forts.  It's still a completely randomly generated skill right? So I can just enable it and someone will do it, but do it very badly?
My current Chief Medial Dwarf has basically no medical skills. He has managed to diagnose injuries (but not infections), suture up wounds, and set broken bones. So you'll probably lose a few guys if you don't get a trained Diagnostician in the next immigrant wave, but hey.

A small fort can't have everything.

Nick

82 dwarves isn't my idea of a small fort...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

sebs

• Bay Watcher
  • Nun sind unser zwey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: October 02, 2010, 05:02:58 am »

My macedwarf lost her left hand, and now she's holding her shield and her mace in her right hand.

Is this a bug or a feature?

It's possible. Shields were usually strapped on the forearm, so the hand would still be free. It should give a malus, though.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: October 02, 2010, 06:19:01 am »

Is it possible to get military dwarves attached to things to drop those things and actually pick up that awesome steel short sword rather than carrying around an iron short sword?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4032 on: October 02, 2010, 08:30:01 am »

If there is no room left at the output of the pump, then no magma will be removed from the input.  Once the small reservoir is full, no magma will disappear from the main reservoir.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: October 02, 2010, 09:08:36 am »

Weird, it says P next to Goblins and Humans, even though there's a Human siege outside.
DF peace basically means "not attempting to exterminate eachother."

The humies are punishing your particular fortress for something (probably killing a diplomat), but they aren't sending wave after wave of ambusher to the mountain home in an attempt to destroy your entire civilization.

Nick

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: October 02, 2010, 09:11:33 am »

Anyway, sorry for complaining - I have had NO dwarves with Diagnostic skills in the last two forts.  It's still a completely randomly generated skill right? So I can just enable it and someone will do it, but do it very badly?
My current Chief Medial Dwarf has basically no medical skills. He has managed to diagnose injuries (but not infections), suture up wounds, and set broken bones. So you'll probably lose a few guys if you don't get a trained Diagnostician in the next immigrant wave, but hey.

A small fort can't have everything.

Nick

82 dwarves isn't my idea of a small fort...
Try to replace your current Chief Medical Dwarf. It's likely somebody showed up with a level or four of diagnostician, and he'll be at the top. Unless you're pop-capped and all 82 dirfs were born in your fort.

OTOH it's possible you're just incredibly unlucky, and you'll have to wait a few more immigration waves.

Nick
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 1178