Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unable to Plant Crops  (Read 3311 times)

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unable to Plant Crops
« on: October 03, 2010, 09:28:09 pm »

Hello!

Hopefully this is just me being ridiculously stupid, but every time I try to set the building task on farmplots, underground, it returns "No seeds available for this location."  I know I have seeds (plenty of plump helmets), and I know those grow underground.  I've searched the forum and wiki, but perhaps my search-fu isn't very strong.

Help?  :D

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Unable to Plant Crops
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:32:16 pm »

In the current version underground surfaces, whether rock or soil, need to be irrigated and have mud left behind by water in order to grow anything.  You need to use water from a river, brook, murky pond, underground sea, aquifer, or other source and channel or pump it into the room where the farm will be, then pump or drain it out or let it evaporate if it's shallow enough, before you build the farm and plant anything.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 09:35:49 pm »

Ah, thank you very much.

This is a feature, not a bug, correct?

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 09:40:39 pm »

Ah, thank you very much.

You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 01:59:19 am »

Thank you for the new signature.
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 08:42:25 am »

If you have murky pools, you have an easy way to irrigate. Depending on the size and your willingness to wait a short while, you can either dig out a farm, tunnel to the pool, let all the water drain into the farm area (work out the size of pool, times by six and you have optimal size of farm to get one unit of water in each tile, in theory) or leave a few tiles space, dig partially towards the pool, install floodgate and link to lever. Open the floodgate, dig rest of way to pool, let water fill to desired level, pull lever to seal floodgate again.
This also works with rivers and other flowing water, and can leave the option of re-irrigating the area, should anything go wrong. (Also seals the possible security break of an open tunnel.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'