Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117011 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3870 on: September 26, 2010, 08:01:51 pm »

It will turn to obsidian, cave in (pausing the game), then be destroyed by the semi-molten rock/infinite drop.

In other words, don't do it.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: September 26, 2010, 09:51:22 pm »

My soldiers aren't training. I have the barracks set up (armor stand, weapon rack, archery target, and cabinet) and designated as a barracks, I've set there orders to train using the default training schedule, and I made sure I have ten guys in my squad. Am I missing anything, or is there a designated time in the schedule where they're all allowed to stand around doing nothing?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: September 26, 2010, 10:15:54 pm »

I always over do my food production. I have 3 planters, and 2 4x10 farm plots. I planted helmets at first, then switched to pig tails and cave wheat solely for the booze. Last year and a half I didn't plant anything because I ran out of food stockpiles. Fortress is just about to turn 4.

My 88 dwarves have about 5000 booze, 2000 prepared food, and I constantly have to dig out new food stockpiles.

I think the problem is my guys are too well trained. Near Legendary workers plant one seed and get 5 plants back. Brewers brew 5 plants and get 25 booze. Cooks then make lavish meals of 50+ food. Two or three seeds plus a piece of meat usually gets me 60+ food.

What food ratios do you guys aim for?

I aim for "enough."

If planting's too easy for you, you could restrict yourself to only eating meat, cheese, tallow, and gathered plants.

One of my forts has enough food and booze for the next 13 years or so. Once I'd gotten to that point, I just put a halt to food and booze production altogether and put my farmers, brewer, and cook on hauling duty.

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: September 26, 2010, 10:21:48 pm »

What's the default max fort size in terms of how many dwarves will come? I'm running .13
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: September 26, 2010, 10:23:19 pm »

You can have a max, unmodified population of 200 adult dwarves. You can change it to whatever you want, but your computer may have a heart attack.

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: September 26, 2010, 10:45:49 pm »

I keep my laptop running at 100 pop cap, and it runs fairly well. I usually accidently demolish my fortress before then, say by accidently causing my 20 story archery tower / windmill stack to collapse, killing 40 or so dwarves standing underneath it on various Z levels.

On a completly unrelated note, I recently had a 20 story archery tower / windmill stack collapse, killing 40 or so dwarves standing underneath it on various Z levels. I deconstructed an extra stairwell that I had used to free a dorf that trapped himself on the wall (didn't want to cause a cave in by deconstructing the wall he was stuck behind), and that stairwell was apparently the support of the top floor, which came crashing down on the floor below it, repeat ad infintum. So my question: I thought I had a wall supporting the floor, but it wasn't actually supporting it. How do I guarentee that the floor is supported?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: September 26, 2010, 11:11:37 pm »

My militia commander has taken ownership of all of the food supply. The rest of my dorfs are starving. What do I do?

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: September 27, 2010, 12:44:09 am »

Why does a milking Farmer's workshop always get "smears of water" everywhere around it? Even if buckets are never filled with water, it ends up everywhere.
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: September 27, 2010, 05:54:51 am »

Does every noble need their own dining room, or do I just define a table for them in the main one?

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: September 27, 2010, 05:58:46 am »

What is up with children nowadays? First it creates an Artifact and gains legendary skill level and now is throwing a party... ... during a siege.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3880 on: September 27, 2010, 07:44:52 am »

Why does a milking Farmer's workshop always get "smears of water" everywhere around it? Even if buckets are never filled with water, it ends up everywhere.
Buckets get filled when water when a dwarf is working while thirsty and another dwarf brings the first some water in a bucket to drink.  The bucket still has water left in it after this.  When a milker grabs a bucket with water in it for milking, he dumps the water on the ground next to the farmer's workshop.

Does every noble need their own dining room, or do I just define a table for them in the main one?
You can do it either way.  Giving them a table in the main dining room will work, but the room will be lower quality as there is a penalty for overlapping rooms.  It may be harder to meet their room quality requirements.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: September 27, 2010, 10:05:05 am »

I made a separate thread for this question, but it's really kind of a little question (I think), so I'll repost it here just for the heck of it.

Is it possible to change some setting somewhere, either in-game or in any of the init files or some such, so that you can only see the English names for Dwarves, Elves, Goblins etc. or, preferably, only the non-English names? I ask because I was going to start Adventurer mode but I got confused because when talking they refer to people with their English names, but in the announcement log they refer to them with their non-English names, and I think it's mixed up in some other places as well. I would like them to be consistent, preferably in their original non-English names, so that I can recognize who's who etc. Is there any way to do this, or is this not a feature?

Thanks!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: September 27, 2010, 11:48:39 am »

I made a separate thread for this question, but it's really kind of a little question (I think), so I'll repost it here just for the heck of it.

Is it possible to change some setting somewhere, either in-game or in any of the init files or some such, so that you can only see the English names for Dwarves, Elves, Goblins etc. or, preferably, only the non-English names? I ask because I was going to start Adventurer mode but I got confused because when talking they refer to people with their English names, but in the announcement log they refer to them with their non-English names, and I think it's mixed up in some other places as well. I would like them to be consistent, preferably in their original non-English names, so that I can recognize who's who etc. Is there any way to do this, or is this not a feature?

Thanks!

I don't think this is possible, just have to get used to it.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #3883 on: September 27, 2010, 12:10:38 pm »

Just a few more questions :)

I have an archers tower by my fortress entrance, it's connected by stairs to my barracks underneath. Can my archers shoot from the top of the tower to 1 z level below them, and through fortified walls?

While I'm on the subject, if I have a target surrounded on all sides by 10 dwarves, can my archers still shoot it or would they have to be a z level above to avoid hitting my dwarves? Can archers shoot a target 2+ z levels below them? Can archers shoot other creatures over channels?

Is there a way to dump a caged creature into a pit (open space) so that they fall to the floor below uncaged?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: September 27, 2010, 12:30:18 pm »

Just a few more questions :)

I have an archers tower by my fortress entrance, it's connected by stairs to my barracks underneath. Can my archers shoot from the top of the tower to 1 z level below them, and through fortified walls?

While I'm on the subject, if I have a target surrounded on all sides by 10 dwarves, can my archers still shoot it or would they have to be a z level above to avoid hitting my dwarves? Can archers shoot a target 2+ z levels below them? Can archers shoot other creatures over channels?

Is there a way to dump a caged creature into a pit (open space) so that they fall to the floor below uncaged?

Yes. Note that the game counts X/Y axis tiles and Z axis tiles as equal when it comes to the range of projectile weapons- a marksdwarf will fire at enemy units on the level below him if he has a clear line of sight to them, but only those within 19 X/Y tiles of where he's standing, instead of the normal 20 if they were on the same level.

Marksdwarves can fire past thier allies without hitting them, but still hit enemies. Yes, they can shoot at targets on different Z-levels, taking into account the corresponding reduction in effective range mentioned above. I'm not certain about channels, though- they were kind of wonky about that in the old 40d version, and I haven't really used them much since then.

Designate a pit zone and assign what you want to pit. Dwarves will automatically take caged creatures out of thier caged to pit them. Note that if these are hostile creatures they may escape or frighten your dwarves to the point of cancelling the job when they get there (this is a bug,) so keep a couple soldiers stationed next to the pit while you're doing this.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 1178