Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118044 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3435 on: September 15, 2010, 07:58:44 pm »

So blocks are better basically? Just take longer to make?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: September 15, 2010, 07:59:10 pm »

What is the difference between using gold bars to build walls and gold blocks?

value. Gold bars used as building materials increase architecture value by that of gold. Gold blocks increase architecture value by that of gold MULTIPLIED by the block value (5).
This is false; blocks and metal bars have the same value (5 times the material modifier in both cases). Blocks only add value to raw stones, which only have a value of 3 times the material modifier. A wall made of gold blocks and a wall made of gold bars have the same value and are functionally identical. The only use for metal blocks are for the few workshops and buildings that require blocks.

Bars it is then.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: September 15, 2010, 08:05:24 pm »

Ah. I misunderstood how the value worked. I thought it was bars x blocks x material, not (bars || blocks) x material. Point taken.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: September 15, 2010, 08:31:36 pm »

What is the difference between using gold bars to build walls and gold blocks?

value. Gold bars used as building materials increase architecture value by that of gold. Gold blocks increase architecture value by that of gold MULTIPLIED by the block value (5).
This is false; blocks and metal bars have the same value (5 times the material modifier in both cases). Blocks only add value to raw stones, which only have a value of 3 times the material modifier. A wall made of gold blocks and a wall made of gold bars have the same value and are functionally identical. The only use for metal blocks are for the few workshops and buildings that require blocks.

Bars it is then.

Also, with blocks it would be called a "gold block wall," whereas with bars it would just be a "gold wall." So bars are better.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: September 15, 2010, 08:47:22 pm »

Erm. What does it mean when the DWARVEN civilization "has no important leaders"? I haven't gotten a caravan either...

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: September 15, 2010, 08:48:43 pm »

Erm. What does it mean when the DWARVEN civilization "has no important leaders"? I haven't gotten a caravan either...

It means your civ is basically dead. You won't get any dwarven caravans or migrants beyond the first two waves. Your dwarves are all that is left.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: September 15, 2010, 08:58:40 pm »

It means your civ is basically dead. You won't get any dwarven caravans or migrants beyond the first two waves. Your dwarves are all that is left.

I was afraid of that. >.>

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: September 15, 2010, 09:10:41 pm »

How can you create a uniform that uses metal headwear metal armor, etc. instead of metal X or metal Y ?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:15:07 pm by xczxc »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: September 15, 2010, 09:56:01 pm »

As far an I know, you'd have to alter the default "Metal Armor" uniform.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: September 15, 2010, 10:12:58 pm »

Are spears two-handed weapons? Are there weapons that do not allow the use of shields? What about battleaxes?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: September 15, 2010, 10:14:49 pm »

Full list of weapons, organized by dwarf-usability (two-handed weapons prevent equipping of shields):

Can be wielded by dwarves one handed
Whips
Battle Axes
War Hammers
Short Swords
Spears
Maces
Crossbows
Picks
Bows
Blowguns
Large daggers
Scourges
Flails
Morningstars
Scimitars
Training swords/spears/axes

Can be wielded by most dwarves two-handed*
Long swords

Can be wielded by some dwarves two-handed*
Pikes
Halberds
Two-handed swords
Mauls
Great axes

*Due to deviation from average size, there are dwarves capable of wielding weapons too large to be dwarf-wieldable (two-handed minimum size 62500; compare to average dwarf's size of 60000). These dwarves aren't very common. There are also dwarves too small to wield a long sword in one hand (one-handed minimum size 57500).

I have 1 legendary weaponsmith and 1 legendary armorsmith. How do I make sure that when I ask them to make armor, that they are the ones who make it, besides by turning off everyone else's armor/weapon smithing skills as that is a pain in the ass?

'q' over the workshop and then press 'P' t open the workshop profile, you can set specific dwarves to that workshop or specific skill levels. eg. minimum legendary, maximum legendary.
That way only the dwarves you assign or an available dwarf with the chosen skill levels will work at that workshop.

There is no such option over the magma forge.
You need a manager.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:26:03 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: September 15, 2010, 10:19:26 pm »

I have 1 legendary weaponsmith and 1 legendary armorsmith. How do I make sure that when I ask them to make armor, that they are the ones who make it, besides by turning off everyone else's armor/weapon smithing skills as that is a pain in the ass?

'q' over the workshop and then press 'P' t open the workshop profile, you can set specific dwarves to that workshop or specific skill levels. eg. minimum legendary, maximum legendary.
That way only the dwarves you assign or an available dwarf with the chosen skill levels will work at that workshop.

There is no such option over the magma forge.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: September 15, 2010, 10:26:51 pm »

I just downloaded the lazynewbpack 0.31.12, and my dwarfs won't make charcoal, they REFUSE to make charcoal, won't even touch the furnace.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: September 15, 2010, 10:27:58 pm »

I captured about a hundred goblin enemies. Is it possible to place these cages strategically and use them to attack a forgotten beast? Just how strong are forgotten beasts?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: September 15, 2010, 10:28:26 pm »

I just downloaded the lazynewbpack 0.31.12, and my dwarfs won't make charcoal, they REFUSE to make charcoal, won't even touch the furnace.

Why are you using the old version? 0.31.13 just came out.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 1178