Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117851 times)

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3465 on: September 16, 2010, 06:40:46 am »

Glass. I made a few bins of raw clear glass, as the first step towards a glass ceiling. When I tell them to make glass blocks, they make them out of sand and pearlash, so is this raw glass good for anything ? can you use them to make glass blocks or windows ? maybe glass floor hatches ?
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: September 16, 2010, 06:51:48 am »

Raw glass is like a gem.
To build something out of glass you need glass blocks - also made of white sand and pearlash for clear glass.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:53:21 am by Laurin »

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: September 16, 2010, 07:28:04 am »

Uuummmm...
Guys, i got a little question (It is little questions thread, Isn't it?). I set up my military, and assigned everyone weapons I would like them to learn how to use, but they keeping to learn each other wrestling, or marksmanship, holding weapons in their hands. I don't want them to learn/teach wrestling! I want them to spar and learn how to use the weapon they are holding? What should I consider of?

Thanks
Anyone?  :(

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: September 16, 2010, 07:47:01 am »

What does the symbol that looks like an uncut gem in the new phoebus 31.13 mean when it stands next to a weapon? It's like a bigger "masterful" symbol.

It is the ☼masterwork☼ identifier. The symbol you're thinking of is *superior* quality.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: September 16, 2010, 05:49:09 pm »

So does anyone know why my dwarves won't get full steel armor? It's available and assigned as a uniform, but they keep coming to the station point with one or two pieces missing.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: September 16, 2010, 05:55:04 pm »

When I pick a specific piece of armor for a dwarf, what do the parentheses around a piece of armor mean?

When I assigned more than 1 dwarf to a squad, do I have to be careful what armor I choose for each one? Is armor already chosen for one dwarf not made unavailable for the second dwarf I equip?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:01:01 pm by vassock »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: September 16, 2010, 06:20:22 pm »

The parentheses mean that the item was imported, being worn by invaders, or otherwise produced outside of your fort.

IIRC, yes you do have to worry about assigning multiple dwarves the same item. As for why they don't pick up their crap, I don't know.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: September 16, 2010, 06:23:41 pm »

The parentheses mean that the item was imported, being worn by invaders, or otherwise produced outside of your fort.

IIRC, yes you do have to worry about assigning multiple dwarves the same item. As for why they don't pick up their crap, I don't know.

So far, I have only had total success in having one squad with one dwarf with custom selecting each piece of equipment.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: September 16, 2010, 06:35:45 pm »

For organization purposes, I order my dwarves to wear armor instead of clothing. Are there any disadvantages to this? Mail shirt, breastplate, helm, left/right gauntlet, shield, 2 high boots, greaves and weapon should cover all bases, right?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: September 16, 2010, 06:42:18 pm »

Okay, what is going on? 2 of my dwarves in a squad are missing a gauntlet each and each of them has a backpack with plump helmets instead.

Apparently, they don't want to carry a second gauntlet if there is no gauntlet of the same craftsdwarship available. Is this normal?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:49:04 pm by vassock »

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: September 16, 2010, 07:14:29 pm »

A few questions:

1. Do flying creatures ever "land" and trigger pressure plates?
2. Does a flying creature with the [BUILDINGDESTROYER] token need to be over solid ground in order to destroy a building (such as a raised bridge)?
3. Can [BUILDINGDESTROYER]s destroy pressure plates and levers? If so, are the plates/levers triggered when destroyed?
4. What do the members of sieges, ambushes, and other hostile creatures path to? Will hostile creatures with the [BUILDINGDESTROYER] token path to buildings before the other targets?
Quick, somebody who can pretend they know with a reasonable degree of believability hop in and act like they do!
You fucking rang?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: September 16, 2010, 07:46:47 pm »

What does the symbol that looks like an uncut gem in the new phoebus 31.13 mean when it stands next to a weapon? It's like a bigger "masterful" symbol.

It is the ☼masterwork☼ identifier. The symbol you're thinking of is *superior* quality.

The ? menu has a list of all quality modifiers, so you can easily check.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: September 16, 2010, 07:59:19 pm »

Have people had some interesting games with low population caps? I find that if I have close to the limit (200?) dwarves, I get lots of dwarves that do nothing all day, grow so much food the stockpile becomes full quickly, and so on. I was thinking of limiting it to maybe 20 so that I can make a room for each dwarf. Have some people here tried this?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: September 16, 2010, 09:06:17 pm »

A few questions:

1. Do flying creatures ever "land" and trigger pressure plates?
2. Does a flying creature with the [BUILDINGDESTROYER] token need to be over solid ground in order to destroy a building (such as a raised bridge)?
3. Can [BUILDINGDESTROYER]s destroy pressure plates and levers? If so, are the plates/levers triggered when destroyed?
4. What do the members of sieges, ambushes, and other hostile creatures path to? Will hostile creatures with the [BUILDINGDESTROYER] token path to buildings before the other targets?
1. Yes, they only need to be on the same z-level to trigger traps. The game assumes they're walking, which they probably would be.
2. Raised bridges are invulnerable. I'm not sure about the actual answer, but my instinct says no.
3. Levers yes, pressure plates no. No.
4. Sieges path to your dwarves, ambushers path to lone, vulnerable units. I believe building destroyers only destroy buildings if they're going through that general area anyway.

Bao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: September 16, 2010, 09:20:33 pm »

Before, the top of the game screen was covered by the bar with "Dwarf Fortress" for the window at the top. I want to know how to get rid of that, but also, my game, for some reason, zoomed in a bunch, and now there's more top gone and the far right is also gone, and it's annoying. What do I need to do?
This conversation is about 3x as bad as any in the mermaid thread. We are discussing which race of children works best as a weapon.
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 1178