Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119903 times)

bowie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2745 on: August 20, 2010, 07:30:08 am »

Will i have to regen if i mod nerve damage to be heal-able?
Must... Eat... Demon... Rat ARGLEBLARGH *crash* OMNOMNOMNOM
Tastes.. like... SAAAAATAAAAAAAAN!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2746 on: August 20, 2010, 07:39:32 am »

Tiny question: Can you milk animals that are chained up or caged?
Yes.  In both cases the milker will go to the chain or cage, remove the animal, drag it to the farmer's workshop, then release it.  That dwarf or another one will then take it back to the chain or cage.  Sometimes a dwarf will attempt to return the animal to the chain or cage before the milker is done with it, which will result in a comedic but annoying tug of war.  I recommend placing your chained or caged milkable animals right next to the farmer's workshop to reduce the chance of that happening.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: August 20, 2010, 07:42:25 am »

Yeah I know you can use RuneSmith for it. Since the DM is bugged I just do so with all the captured animals.

Nono. I mean literally a utility just for removing all the exotic tags from the raws (It's called NoExotic). It doesn't require regenning the world, or anything as complicated as RuneSmith.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Stalker-Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: August 20, 2010, 08:21:44 am »

Couple of tiny questions..

1. I have access to atleast 100 tiles worth of adamantium which I can safely mine out, thought about making weapons for me dwarves. Axes and swords are the way to go? Statues to pretty up my dining room which currently is sadly just 10 tables and chairs in a soil room.. They deserve better.

2. Over 500 gold nuggets/gold bars are enjoying their stay at my fortress and I figured I could put em to some use, anything fun to make out of them? Statue garden? I want to make gold barrels and bins!

3. How effective are bone arrows in combat? If goblins armored with iron or steel come into fire of my 30 newbie marksdwarves will they die or will they laugh at my dwarves and my fortress?

4. How tall drop is required to kill goblins/humans/elves/kobolds in general?

5. Can I change my max dwarf cap mid game if I exit game and all that without save corrupting? Pretty sure I remember you can but figured to ask anyways.

6. What is roughly the highest value artifact can get? Few hours ago I received topaz scepter covered with cow bone/random gem/aluminum worth 140k. During 6~ forts I've made which lasted 6 years or longer this is most valuable one I've seen, usually they're 10k. Sad dwarfpanda.
Long as our business doesn't go sour, my word is gold.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: August 20, 2010, 08:36:49 am »

Wait, you have 30 dwarves in your military alone, and your dining room is only big enough for 10?

The is something very wrong with this picture.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Stalker-Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: August 20, 2010, 08:42:07 am »

Wait, you have 30 dwarves in your military alone, and your dining room is only big enough for 10?

The is something very wrong with this picture.

Actually I have no military, just 87 civilians. Been busy doing everything so making a nice dining room for them got kinda left out in my plans. Next they'll get huge dining room and bedrooms.

Edit: Let's add something. For a while now I was being sieged by goblins.. Just now humans sieged me.. about 30 seconds later another vile siege right behind the humans, they moved perhaps 15 tiles away.. Am I simply getting very lucky/unlucky here or am I gonna be sieged like this all the time now? O.O

Edit2: They are not attacking each other.. those basterds! What's this about? My fort takes priority over their petty disagreements or they're having co-op fun here?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:55:21 am by Stalker-Dwarf »

Pitah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: August 20, 2010, 08:56:06 am »

When they finally come with some of their leaders and you manage to kill em, they should stop visiting so often.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: August 20, 2010, 09:19:55 am »

Couple of tiny questions..

1. I have access to atleast 100 tiles worth of adamantium which I can safely mine out, thought about making weapons for me dwarves. Axes and swords are the way to go? Statues to pretty up my dining room which currently is sadly just 10 tables and chairs in a soil room.. They deserve better.

2. Over 500 gold nuggets/gold bars are enjoying their stay at my fortress and I figured I could put em to some use, anything fun to make out of them? Statue garden? I want to make gold barrels and bins!

3. How effective are bone arrows in combat? If goblins armored with iron or steel come into fire of my 30 newbie marksdwarves will they die or will they laugh at my dwarves and my fortress?

4. How tall drop is required to kill goblins/humans/elves/kobolds in general?

5. Can I change my max dwarf cap mid game if I exit game and all that without save corrupting? Pretty sure I remember you can but figured to ask anyways.

6. What is roughly the highest value artifact can get? Few hours ago I received topaz scepter covered with cow bone/random gem/aluminum worth 140k. During 6~ forts I've made which lasted 6 years or longer this is most valuable one I've seen, usually they're 10k. Sad dwarfpanda.

In order;

1. Adamantine is best used for swords and spears, and maybe axes. Never for maces, never for warhammers. It used to be that materials got simple multipliers for damage based on material, but now the simulation has far more variables. Adamantine is a very light weight material, and thus makes a very poor blunt force weapon. However, it's more valuable than anything. Feel free to plate the walls with it to improve room quality.

2. Gold is mainly good for satisfying the noble's demands for luxurious rooms and tombs. They'll demand higher quality bedrooms, offices, and tombs the more important they are in rank, lowest being your expedition leader, highest being the King. If a noble is not satisfied with his or her rooms, he will make more demands for pointless objects that you probably can't manufacture, like Rose Gold Goblets, and make more trade embargoes. The alternative solution to this is to just use the gold for whatever you want, and solve the noble problem with creative application of Magma.

3. Bone arrows are not affective in combat against anything with half-decent armor. Unless your dwarfs get extremely lucky shots, don't expect bone bolts to penetrate iron plate mail reliably. Any metal will do fine, though, as should Ironwood. I'm kind of sketchy on the details of the simulation as far as how bolts and arrows work right now, but I do believe the weight and strength of the bolt's material should affect whether it penetrates armor or not.

4. That's a pretty good question. I've experimented with this before on several peasant dwarfs/cheese makers in an overpopulated fortress, and I think I remember finding a drop of four or five floors is usually enough to leave most of the victims at least crawling around with multiple fractures in their legs, if not killing them outright. Use more to be sure.

5. I seem to remember being able to do this, but don't hold me to it. Your population should still continue to grow through natural births no matter what limit you set however.

6. I honestly have no idea what the upper limit of value is. I think there is an upper limit of value based on the base material used, but if you for example have an artifact adamantine statue encrusted with gold and diamonds, the value can get absurdly high.

Then again, maybe a cap was set in place by Toady for balance reasons in the more recent versions, I don't know for sure.
!!&!!

Stalker-Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: August 20, 2010, 09:33:07 am »

Lotsa thanks. Adamantium and bone bolt things were as I thought.. Guess everyone are getting gold coffins!

Edit: I am being spammed to death by "<name> cancels relase small creature: need empty trap." All I did was while getting sieged I lowered the bridge so they would get captured.. everything besides few dwarves escaping to the wilderness things went fine. Then as dwarves went rushing in to fix up the traps again I rushed to forbid all the traps and disabled animal hauling from all dwarves.. after everything was alright I re-claimed the traps and enabled animal hauling. I get this message from 80+ dwarves constantly, drives me insane. O.o
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:40:49 am by Stalker-Dwarf »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2754 on: August 20, 2010, 03:21:29 pm »

Will wild animals go through pet inaccessable doors? Or have they learned the art of opening doors with hooves and various other impliments? :p

And as an addendum to the blunt weapon discussion earlier, what's the best material for blunt weapons, out of curiosity?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: August 20, 2010, 03:25:28 pm »

Of the materials that you can make weapons out of, steel is probably the best. Silver might not be too bad, but I'm not sure.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2756 on: August 20, 2010, 03:30:23 pm »

Oh good, I was worried I'd wasted steel bars on a mace.

Edit: Oh, looked up the door question on the wiki and got my answer. Thanks anyway.  :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:36:59 pm by Seriyu »

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: August 20, 2010, 03:44:55 pm »

4. That's a pretty good question. I've experimented with this before on several peasant dwarfs/cheese makers in an overpopulated fortress, and I think I remember finding a drop of four or five floors is usually enough to leave most of the victims at least crawling around with multiple fractures in their legs, if not killing them outright. Use more to be sure.

Recently I created a pit about 10 or so z-levels deep and dropped a dwarf down it for kicks. He survived somehow, although he did indeed break just about everything in his body, and it took him a long time to crawl to the hospital because he kept passing in and out of consciousness and vomiting. It's one of the first times I've every actually felt remorse over a bunch of pixels. (Note: he is gradually recovering)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2758 on: August 20, 2010, 04:37:47 pm »

Okay, me again.

Is there any way to reserve bins/barrels for specific stockpiles/item types?

Vehine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: August 20, 2010, 04:41:12 pm »

Miasma is clouding up the main intersection of my fort.

The cause is from two corpses - a dead dog that died in a ghoul attack, same with a dead cave tortoise. (Genesis Mod)

I have a massive refuse stockpile outside, all my dwarves are just standing around while miasma pisses me and everyone else off. Nobody's grabbing the corpses. 'Dump' does nothing either. Is it because of their pet status? How do I fix this?
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 1178