Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119974 times)

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2730 on: August 19, 2010, 06:46:00 pm »

Do hotkey setting transfer across saves ? If I Set a hotkey zoom and somebody else picks up that save later, is the hotkey still set ?
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: August 19, 2010, 06:52:58 pm »

Could someone direct me to a thread/wiki page about experience gains in combat?  Searching for "experience" (and variants) turns up too much on the forums, and too little on the wiki, so I can't find if anyone knows what rules experience follows.

The thing is that I just had two low-level warriors ("Competent Fighter" at best) jump up to Legendary +1 and Legendary +3 after a fight.  The things they killed were unholy monsters which had been sitting on my map slaughtering dozens of animals and merchants.  I'm guessing there's a connection.

--Rexfelum

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: August 19, 2010, 08:14:27 pm »

Oh... so where are they? I can't find them in any of the folders, but if I search for "curses" I find 19.

Go to your data\init folder.
Open Init.txt
Change "FONT:curses_640x300.png" and/or "FONT:curses_800x600.png" to "FONT:curses_square_16x16.png"
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vehine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: August 19, 2010, 08:31:19 pm »

My doctor is stuck trying to fill a bucket of water for applying a cast.

Is there a workaround for this? :/

The patient in question has been through TONS of medical work and I'm eager to see him up and running. (Poor migrant got jumped on his way to the entrance :-\ )

Unfortunately, if I can't get a cast on the guy, then he probably won't be walking at all!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2734 on: August 19, 2010, 09:14:43 pm »

My doctor is stuck trying to fill a bucket of water for applying a cast.

Is there a workaround for this? :/
Forbid the bucket he's carrying.  This will cause him to cancel the job.  He'll have to start over from scratch, but in my experience if you do this enough times it will eventually get done.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Vehine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: August 19, 2010, 09:22:31 pm »

Really? Damn!

Patient #2 just came into the hospital, and it's getting hard to track all the buckets and forbidding/claiming them, especially when #2 needs cleaning or drinking.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2736 on: August 19, 2010, 09:52:33 pm »

A couple of questions, one, can gazelles and/or hippos be trained by normal dwarves?

and two, I've got a river nearby with some hippos in it, and I understand they're dangerous, but I have a plan to get some caged. However as of now they're in a large river valley and as such can't get on land to harm dwarves unless I do it myself. So, if I do let these hippos out and catch them and eventually butcher them, other hippos will spawn.

Now, the question is, will the future hippos spawn on land, or do hippos only spawn in water?

Thanks in advance.

jogar2

• Bay Watcher
  • It's just like a mini-mall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: August 19, 2010, 11:08:51 pm »

According to the raws, both gazelles and hippos are exotic and thus would require a DM.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: August 20, 2010, 12:08:10 am »

[EDIT] duh. nm. removed due to reading Fail.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:16:58 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2739 on: August 20, 2010, 12:08:54 am »

I asked about hippos and Gazelles, and if they were trainable by normal dwarves, IE, not a DM.

Well at least the gazelles can be used for military practice for the time being.

Thanks.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: August 20, 2010, 12:10:35 am »

oh. I saw the question asking where they would spawn on the map edge, and totally missed the other. Nm. Sorry.

As to my understanding, the hippos will spawn IN the river. If there is a lake involved, all bets are off, as I'm not sure how those work Biome-wise.

[EDIT] if you want them trainable, it's a fairly easy task to remove the EXOTIC bit from the raws. There's even a utility for that somewhere out there, since as far as I know, no one's gotten the DM.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:15:54 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: August 20, 2010, 12:29:54 am »

Yeah I know you can use RuneSmith for it. Since the DM is bugged I just do so with all the captured animals.

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: August 20, 2010, 12:32:38 am »

Tiny question: Can you milk animals that are chained up or caged?

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2743 on: August 20, 2010, 12:36:34 am »

I'll keep that in mind, thanks again.  :D

And While I'm not entirely sure, I think you can milk them while they're chained up. Not sure about caged.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: August 20, 2010, 12:54:39 am »

You can definitely milk chained animals. I can't say I've ever tried to milk a caged animal, though.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 1178