Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120543 times)

Resand

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2280 on: July 31, 2010, 04:21:50 am »

Will my dwarves pick up better weapons if I order them to 'kill' something?  For instance if my dwarf is holding a pine training sword will he go get a metal sword?

I'm not a 100% on this, but as I understand it: No.

You can set what kind of sword he should use with uniforms. Make one for training and one for active duty. Change it when needed.
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced"

jstead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: July 31, 2010, 04:42:09 am »

I've just started a hermit fort, so I've set the population to 1 and killed 6 of my starting dwarves.
For some reason, though, I've still received migrants for the last 3 seasons.  What can I do to stop this?
The first few migrant waves are hardcoded and arrive regardless of what your population cap is.
I don't know how many of the initial waves are like that, but I'm still getting migrants 2 years in.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: July 31, 2010, 06:46:24 am »

Does caged dwarfs need to be taken care of?

i.e. If they where to fall and faint in a trap and thereby be caged. Will they be rendered in stasis?

I have many dwarfs and its killing my fps so this might be a good way to get rid of dwarfs without risking a tantrum spiral...
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: July 31, 2010, 07:38:58 am »

Are there two different "subtypes" of evil biome? I've noticed that I appear to find either "evil undead" biomes, which don't appear to have sliver barb or phantom spiders, just a lot of dead plants and animals, or sometimes I'll get a different kind of evil biome, with evil monsters/animals but no undead.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: July 31, 2010, 07:55:08 am »

Are there two different "subtypes" of evil biome? I've noticed that I appear to find either "evil undead" biomes, which don't appear to have sliver barb or phantom spiders, just a lot of dead plants and animals, or sometimes I'll get a different kind of evil biome, with evil monsters/animals but no undead.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Surroundings

They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Resand

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: July 31, 2010, 09:11:35 am »

I've just started a hermit fort, so I've set the population to 1 and killed 6 of my starting dwarves.
For some reason, though, I've still received migrants for the last 3 seasons.  What can I do to stop this?
The first few migrant waves are hardcoded and arrive regardless of what your population cap is.
I don't know how many of the initial waves are like that, but I'm still getting migrants 2 years in.

Well tahts to long as I'm not getting migrants 2 years in without editing init. Think I read something about any setting under 10 so are not taken in to account.
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced"

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: July 31, 2010, 10:37:19 am »

Does caged dwarfs need to be taken care of?

i.e. If they where to fall and faint in a trap and thereby be caged. Will they be rendered in stasis?

I have many dwarfs and its killing my fps so this might be a good way to get rid of dwarfs without risking a tantrum spiral...
They die of starvation, it's part of the current problem with the justice system not taking care of criminals.
Nom nom nom

Skittles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: July 31, 2010, 04:39:49 pm »

@Nick RE: uncaging animals - I think this was a .11 upped to .12 but cannot say for certain.

Another Q:  Had a fey mood which resulted in a Leather Works being taken and an artifact leather bag as a result.  The dwarf is now a legendary tanner, not a legendary leatherworker.  This seems like a bug to me.  Anyone know if this is by design?

\\// Never knew that. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 06:52:46 pm by Skittles »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2288 on: July 31, 2010, 05:21:50 pm »

When a dwarf gets experience in a strange mood, that experience goes to his highest skill, not the skill that was used to make the artifact.  So if his highest skill was tanning, he'll become a legendary tanner.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: July 31, 2010, 11:02:31 pm »

What does the kennel see as a small animal?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: August 01, 2010, 12:54:11 am »

What does the kennel see as a small animal?
Vermin. aka: the things your cats and fisherdwarves catch.

If you catch it in a cage trap, and it's tameable, you can tame it in a kennel.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: August 01, 2010, 12:58:24 am »

When a dwarf gets experience in a strange mood, that experience goes to his highest skill, not the skill that was used to make the artifact.  So if his highest skill was tanning, he'll become a legendary tanner.

Really? because in the last version, tanning was a Moodable skill, and used a leatherworks to make its artifact.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: August 01, 2010, 01:09:29 am »

It uses a leatherworks, but the skill gain is still tanning. Like how a miner can mood and use a mason's shop ad get mining skill.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Dapperton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: August 01, 2010, 01:38:46 am »

Are marksdwarves still broken in the current release? I'm attempting to train one. His squad schedule is marked as training, he has access bolts and a crossbow, and there is an archery target (with adequate space) set up for his squad's training, yet he never goes and shoots. He always just drills in the barracks, which I'm pretty sure increases Hammerdwarf. What am I doing wrong? He's in the active/training default alert phase, if that helps.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: August 01, 2010, 02:00:12 am »

Is there a way to get to dead dwarves relationships page without getting to it from one of his friends' pages?

Edit: Also, is there a way to entomb a dwarf with his armor and such other than careful stockpile manipulation?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:03:39 am by Ethereal.Frog »
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 1178