Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120554 times)

valk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2265 on: July 30, 2010, 05:02:20 pm »

Two little questions about burrows:

1.) How can I make dwarves stay in their burrows?  I want to have my skilled dwarves stay inside my tower, and the slave laborers outside chopping trees and hauling stuff to an overlap dropoff between the two burrows. I have the burrow areas marked the way I want them, and added all the desired dwarves to them, but I still get dwarves from the inside tower burrow going outside for dumping/hauling jobs, and even sleeping on the ground/eating outside.

In the military menu, I have set the burrows as active on the alert level with "CIV" next to it.

2.)  Why do dwarves stay in a burrow they are not assigned to? 

I made a panic Alert level with one active burrow in a safe zone.  No one is assigned to the burrow.  When I set "CIV" to this alert, everyone stops what they are doing and runs to hide in the burrow.  This is very useful, but I don't understand why they are running to a burrow they are not assigned to.

I hope I am not re-asking old questions, I tried to find answers in the wiki and other parts of this thread, but I am still confused.

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: July 30, 2010, 06:28:06 pm »

In the military menu, I have set the burrows as active on the alert level with "CIV" next to it.

2.)  Why do dwarves stay in a burrow they are not assigned to? 

I made a panic Alert level with one active burrow in a safe zone.  No one is assigned to the burrow.  When I set "CIV" to this alert, everyone stops what they are doing and runs to hide in the burrow.  This is very useful, but I don't understand why they are running to a burrow they are not assigned to.
That's because CIV means 'civilians' which means all your non-military dwarves, which means that when you activate that alert, all civilians are temporarily assigned to that burrow. What did you expect to happen?
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: July 30, 2010, 06:37:31 pm »

There's a really good way to do this. Many players have made endless water machines with magma and ice. I made a very nice one for a succession fort, so if you need help just drop me a PM.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2268 on: July 30, 2010, 06:41:20 pm »

Two things on burrows:

First, burrow assignment doesn't force dwarves to never leave the burrow.  Rather, it prevents the dwarf from using any objects or buildings outside the burrow - essentially, all materials outside the burrow are forbidden.  A dwarf can still wander outside his burrow to dump an item, or while on break, or while walking from one part of a burrow to another.  And dwarves not assigned to any burrow can use items from any burrow without restriction.

Second, when you set an alert burrow in the military screen, this overrides any individual burrow assignments you've done.  Individual assignments of burrows to dwarves only applies when a military alert is not active.  When you activate a civilian alert in the military screen, all non-military dwarves will be assigned to that burrow regardless of which dwarves are normally assigned to which burrows.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

jstead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: July 30, 2010, 08:17:53 pm »

I've just started a hermit fort, so I've set the population to 1 and killed 6 of my starting dwarves.
For some reason, though, I've still received migrants for the last 3 seasons.  What can I do to stop this?

valk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: July 30, 2010, 10:02:22 pm »

Two things on burrows:

First, burrow assignment doesn't force dwarves to never leave the burrow.  Rather, it prevents the dwarf from using any objects or buildings outside the burrow - essentially, all materials outside the burrow are forbidden.  A dwarf can still wander outside his burrow to dump an item, or while on break, or while walking from one part of a burrow to another.  And dwarves not assigned to any burrow can use items from any burrow without restriction.

Second, when you set an alert burrow in the military screen, this overrides any individual burrow assignments you've done.  Individual assignments of burrows to dwarves only applies when a military alert is not active.  When you activate a civilian alert in the military screen, all non-military dwarves will be assigned to that burrow regardless of which dwarves are normally assigned to which burrows.

Thanks Sphalerite!  I had the misconception that the military screen was used to activate the burrows, not override them.  This helps immensely.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: July 30, 2010, 10:44:44 pm »

Can fish swim through fortifications?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2272 on: July 30, 2010, 11:21:45 pm »

Vermin size fish teleport, so ignore fortifications.  These are the kind of fish that don't show up on the units list and that your fisherdwarfs theoretically catch.

Creature size fish (such as carp) don't actively swim through fortifications, but can be pushed through by flowing water.  These are the kind of fish that show up on the units list and eat your dwarves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Skittles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: July 30, 2010, 11:45:54 pm »

Anyone notice in .12 that uncaged creatures aren't uncaged?  If you build a cage with a creature in it, then Q and unassign that creature, the cage is unbuilt, leaving the creature remaining in the cage.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: July 31, 2010, 12:05:17 am »

Anyone notice in .12 that uncaged creatures aren't uncaged?  If you build a cage with a creature in it, then Q and unassign that creature, the cage is unbuilt, leaving the creature remaining in the cage.
It works for me.

And I just domesticated a Tigerman, a half-dozen slugmen, and a snailman. I had to build those cages with the (b) menu, and then un-assign their occupants, 'cause domesticated animal-men starve to death if you don't let them out of their cages.

I also domesticated a half-dozen gorillas. I'm not sure I did the build/unassign thing with them tho.

Skittles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: July 31, 2010, 12:53:42 am »

It works for me.

And I just domesticated a Tigerman, a half-dozen slugmen, and a snailman. I had to build those cages with the (b) menu, and then un-assign their occupants, 'cause domesticated animal-men starve to death if you don't let them out of their cages.

I also domesticated a half-dozen gorillas. I'm not sure I did the build/unassign thing with them tho.
Huh.  I've tried it several times now.  The only way I could release a creature was to pit it or open the cage with a mechanism/lever.  I'll try it again.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: July 31, 2010, 12:59:15 am »

I've just started a hermit fort, so I've set the population to 1 and killed 6 of my starting dwarves.
For some reason, though, I've still received migrants for the last 3 seasons.  What can I do to stop this?
The first few migrant waves are hardcoded and arrive regardless of what your population cap is.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: July 31, 2010, 01:22:23 am »

It works for me.

Huh.  I've tried it several times now.  The only way I could release a creature was to pit it or open the cage with a mechanism/lever.  I'll try it again.
Did you start the game in v12?

My game started in an earlier version, which could make a difference. I'll try it again when the elven caravan gets here.

Nick

Resand

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: July 31, 2010, 02:21:47 am »

Two things on burrows:

Thanks Sphalerite!  I had the misconception that the military screen was used to activate the burrows, not override them.  This helps immensely.

Yeah, That was my problem too, Thanks. Makes a lot more sense now  :)
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced"

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: July 31, 2010, 02:59:15 am »

Since cyan is also used for clear glass, does that mean Adamantium might actually be clear?
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 1178