Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120560 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2250 on: July 28, 2010, 09:35:30 pm »

Is fat considered a "worthless" part and therefore be unsellable in adventure mode?
Try selling it in adventure mode and then report your findings on the wiki. I know bones are zero value at fort mode trade depot.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

JoeQuabla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: July 28, 2010, 09:44:14 pm »

Traded off some lion fat for some gazelle meat.
It's not worthless, the shopkeepers are just greedy.

Actually, I just tried it again with the weaponshop, and despite offering more than twice what I was going to take, he still said no.
Do the shops vary in what they take for offers?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:50:18 pm by JoeQuabla »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: July 29, 2010, 01:30:36 am »

I'd dearly love the appraisal skill to work in adventure mode. Or DOES IT now? Have I missed the most important feature of the 2010 releases?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Resand

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: July 29, 2010, 08:27:20 am »

Have little problem with burrows. I can make a "stay inside" burrow and make my dwarf use it through the military screen. But I can't for the life of my stop my dwarf staying within this burrow. How do I tell them that is safe to go out again?

The way I've done it is make a burrow called "Stay the f... inside" and an alert called Under attack. Then I set Civilian status to "Under Attack" and pick the "Stay .. inside" burrow, and this works like a charm. But when the attack is over and I set Civilian status to Inactive they still stay inside :'(
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced"

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: July 29, 2010, 03:46:19 pm »

Is there any way I can choose an embark location to ensure plenty of goblin activity?
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: July 29, 2010, 04:04:13 pm »

Have little problem with burrows. I can make a "stay inside" burrow and make my dwarf use it through the military screen. But I can't for the life of my stop my dwarf staying within this burrow. How do I tell them that is safe to go out again?

The way I've done it is make a burrow called "Stay the f... inside" and an alert called Under attack. Then I set Civilian status to "Under Attack" and pick the "Stay .. inside" burrow, and this works like a charm. But when the attack is over and I set Civilian status to Inactive they still stay inside :'(

You have to toggle the burrow as well.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dumping elk blood (frozen lol) out of barrels
« Reply #2256 on: July 29, 2010, 04:20:02 pm »

Embarked on a glacier, so I'm rather starved for wood.  I've bought several barrels from caravans, but all of them have random liquids in them (one just says "liquid" for the item description, is that normal?), how can I get rid of the liquids and use the barrels for something else?  I've tried many combinations of dumping and/or forbidding the barrels and/or the contents, and one of the barrels was dumped and moved, but I can't figure out how I did it.

Oh, and they're all frozen, I'm guessing that doesn't matter, but you never know :P

(and I also buy wood and make barrels/beds/bins, so I don't need advice on that, just reclaiming the barrels for some extra.)
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dumping elk blood (frozen lol) out of barrels
« Reply #2257 on: July 29, 2010, 07:19:36 pm »

how can I get rid of the liquids and use the barrels for something else?
You can't. No way to empty barrels yet. Except by drinking them, and I don't think dwarves will drink anything but water and liquor.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2258 on: July 29, 2010, 07:22:02 pm »

You can use the blood for cooking if you add [EDIBLE_COOKED] to the material definition raws for blood.  The 'liquid' is useless, and can't even be removed from the barrel.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: July 29, 2010, 10:04:43 pm »

Sparring doesn't seem to increase anyone's weapon skill... is this a glitch, or does sparring not work properly yet?

Resand

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: July 30, 2010, 08:13:36 am »

You have to toggle the burrow as well.

??... I'm toggleing alert levels away from the alert with the burrow restriction. Isn't that enough?
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced"

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: July 30, 2010, 09:01:51 am »

Is there a way to make ice into a drinkable form?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 09:04:17 am by KingKaol »

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: July 30, 2010, 09:33:04 am »

Will my dwarves pick up better weapons if I order them to 'kill' something?  For instance if my dwarf is holding a pine training sword will he go get a metal sword?

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: July 30, 2010, 09:33:30 am »

I read in another thread that if you have magma right beneath ice (with just the bare "floor"/"ground" tile between them), then it wil melt the ice. (But just the ice above it.) I assume that running magma over ice will do the same thing but that may not help you.
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: July 30, 2010, 12:54:53 pm »

Sort of...
If you're talking about "ice boulders" that you've mined, no.  When they melt they turn into "dirty water" or something, and the only thing you can do to them is clean them up.

Ice walls however can melt into 7/7 water tiles.  There are three ways I know of to do this.
One option is wait for spring, at which point they'll melt naturally.
I'm not sure how the magma thing works, but it wouldn't surprise me.
If you embark on a glacier, if you cave-in ice walls down to the stone layer, they will sit there for a little while, then suddenly melt all at once, giving you a nice pond (assuming you built the room correctly, if not have FUN with the water rushing through your fort)  If all you are looking for is a little water to build some farms with and for hospital patients to drink, you can probably do this once and forget about it.

The wiki has a pretty decent writeup on how to do this on the Glacier page.  After having to try about 6 times and having three dwarves die of thirst, I'm planning on seeing if I can make the description a little easier to follow.  If you've figured out triggered cave-ins in general, you shouldn't have a problem with it though.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 1178