Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117729 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1365 on: June 26, 2010, 03:46:19 pm »

Is there any way to encourage trees to grow either inside or outside a fortress? Not out of some treehugging instinct but because it would be useful if my dwarves either a) didn't have to go outdoors for wood or b) have to trek halfway across the map repeatedly.

Which version are you playing?

For version 40D, you can make Tower Cap farms, in the current version, just dig downwards to the caverns where there are plenty of trees down there.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: June 26, 2010, 03:51:15 pm »

Is there any way to encourage trees to grow either inside or outside a fortress? Not out of some treehugging instinct but because it would be useful if my dwarves either a) didn't have to go outdoors for wood or b) have to trek halfway across the map repeatedly.

For version 40D, you can make Tower Cap farms, in the current version, just dig downwards to the caverns where there are plenty of trees down there.

underground soil tiles also start producing plants if you breach the caverns. I think trees as well.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: June 26, 2010, 04:01:22 pm »

underground soil tiles also start producing plants if you breach the caverns. I think trees as well.

Depending on where you embarked, the caverns could be well forested to densely forested down there. However I've embarked on deserts (was trying to find a good place to embark) where the caverns were barren, but I didn't stick around long enough to see whether plants started growing or not. So someone else will have to verify that particular case.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: June 26, 2010, 05:30:30 pm »

How exactly do goblin thieves/snatchers spawn on the map? Do they start at the edge or just.. random places outside?

I ask because my rooftop is right next to the elevating mountain side, but I've channeled and walled it in such a way to make sure the only way to my roof is either directly through my fortress or at an elevated bridge point that hasn't been built yet, so in other words it's impenetrable without already getting inside my fort anyway

but one of my miners just caught a snatcher up there, I've looked it all over and it's literally impossible for him to have gotten there.

Unless they can suddenly climb walls or something

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: June 26, 2010, 05:53:01 pm »

IIRC in 40d they'd spawn at the map edges, assuming your map was square. If the map wasn't squae the game would create a square embark area, and spawn them at the edges of that.

If true it's possible your roof has a spawning edge on it. But it's highly likely I hallucinated that factoid, so:

It's more likely he got in legitimately. He could gotten in before you finished construction, or you may have inadvertantly created a back door. I did that a few times. Most recently I walled off a section of the hill, got rid of all ramps down into my fortress, and was shocked when gobbo crossbowman started turning my dwarves into pincushions from his perch ON TOP of my defensive wall. If he'd walked a few more squares he would have gotten to the roof I was building over my safe area, and been able to invade my fortress proper.

Check that you haven't created a back door somewhere by locking all the doors to outside and trying to station a squad there. If physically possible they'll go there, and you'll be able to see the backdoor.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: June 26, 2010, 06:07:49 pm »

Fraps doesn't seem to work with DF and I can't figure out how to screen-cap it but I can guarantee there's no backdoor way in.  The rooftop itself is fairly small, less than a full screen's size, and it's been under construction for a long time.  Some gobbo's have gotten through the little cricks and cracks when it was vulnerable, that was expected, but I've completely walled it off for a good month or two now, and have had dwarves actively working around the area so there wasn't just a thief waiting up there for a ridiculously long amount of time.

We already caught another up there.

Ive checked it up and down again and again, the only way up there now is through my main entrance, past my barracks, and then a large collection of wells I have as a sort of meeting/party area.  there's no way they could just sneak through unnoticed then decide to chill on my rooftop.

I'm doubling up my walls to see how that helps.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 06:11:57 pm by shoowop »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: June 26, 2010, 06:39:19 pm »

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure though? Maybe you have a bit of roof or something touching diagonally? There could be a dozen reasons why the goblin was there.

One way to find out is to have a soldier move (with the move command) to the roof and see if they can path up there.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: June 26, 2010, 06:51:12 pm »

Yes absolutely.  I've checked every possible spot for a diagonal move in, and made sure to overwall these spots just in case.  Past that, I just got a wave of migrants at the north side of the map up the mountain.  If there was a backdoor they'd have all taken it, but instead they had to trek around the entire perimeter of my fort.

I suppose after the first snatcher it could've just been a small blip in the defense that later got fixed up before I could obsessively check over it all; but the second one was after it was definitely sealed up.

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: June 26, 2010, 07:20:35 pm »

Dig down until you hit one of the caverns.  Then dig up a few levels, to one where you don't have much stuff, and dig it all out. (minus a couple squares for support of course)
When this is done, flood that entire floor with water, until it's all mud.   Let it be for a year or two, and it should all be tree'ed when you're in need of wood.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: June 26, 2010, 08:00:54 pm »

What does evil and savagery mean when searching for an embark site? Do they affect wildlife? Frequency and strength of goblin sieges/ambushes? Both?
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: June 26, 2010, 08:01:29 pm »

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: June 26, 2010, 08:07:52 pm »

Oh, thanks. Someone should link that from here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Embark#Surroundings
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: June 26, 2010, 08:11:52 pm »

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: June 26, 2010, 08:17:37 pm »

Great  ;)

Morhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: June 27, 2010, 01:51:42 am »

I got few stray dogs, but Urist McTrainer says that "There is no creature". Raws are unmodified, and i trained starting dogs at year 1, but now cant..
This day going to be perfect!
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 1178