Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117583 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1335 on: June 25, 2010, 05:02:36 pm »

how do I use a mapscript image to gen a map with it's perimeters?
Nom nom nom

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: June 25, 2010, 05:26:24 pm »

how do I use a mapscript image to gen a map with it's perimeters?
Mapscript image?  Generate a map with its parameters?

Is this "Mapscript" a tool to be used with DF?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: June 25, 2010, 07:00:36 pm »

Is it possible to increase the number of Z levels above the surface? Currently there are only 15 Z levels above my fortress, and that seems rather limiting when you are going to start a mega project.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 25, 2010, 07:02:42 pm »

Is it possible to increase the number of Z levels above the surface? Currently there are only 15 Z levels above my fortress, and that seems rather limiting when you are going to start a mega project.

Yep.  Change this line in your world_gen.txt:
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: June 25, 2010, 07:06:50 pm »

Default world gen for 31.x is 100 levels above ground I thought?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 25, 2010, 07:17:22 pm »

Yep.  Change this line in your world_gen.txt:
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]

Am I right in assuming there's no way to change this without generating a new world?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: June 25, 2010, 07:35:46 pm »

Yeah, you'll need to gen a new world with the updated settings.  What version are you running atm?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 25, 2010, 07:48:07 pm »

Yeah, you'll need to gen a new world with the updated settings.  What version are you running atm?

The most recent. 0.31.08
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: June 25, 2010, 08:59:47 pm »

My soldier just died of thirst while laying in my hospital. There's a well in the hospital, the whole thing is designated as hospital/water source, and I have 44 dwarves with the feed patients/prisoners labor activated, a few of whom are idle. What gives?
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: June 25, 2010, 09:16:21 pm »

no buckets free?
Nom nom nom

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 25, 2010, 09:19:53 pm »

Oh, forgot to mention that: According to the hospital infomation, I have 4 (out of 2, strangely enough) buckets.

Hm, that line is in grey, though. Does that mean anything?
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 25, 2010, 09:29:27 pm »

Has anyone ever tried using a catapult/ballista on an unkillable FB, such as a jelly one? I'm curious as to the outcome of that, if the huge damage from an adamantium ballista bolt or a thrown rock could kill them since that may not count as combat and circumvent the combat invunerabillity tag
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: June 25, 2010, 09:32:04 pm »

I've never tried pults or balistas vs FBs, however I can tell you that encasing a FB in obsidian kills it quite effectively.  You then only have to dig out the room again ready for its next use.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: June 25, 2010, 10:25:06 pm »

There's no token for combat invulnerability. Some megabeasts just don't have any bodyparts that cause death when removed. Siege weapons might have worked with the 40d system but now they cause normal damage, so you'd just be wasting adamantine making bolts. The only way to kill unkillable beasts is to use something like a cave-in, which outright deletes any objects under it.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: June 25, 2010, 10:59:45 pm »

There's no token for combat invulnerability. Some megabeasts just don't have any bodyparts that cause death when removed. Siege weapons might have worked with the 40d system but now they cause normal damage, so you'd just be wasting adamantine making bolts. The only way to kill unkillable beasts is to use something like a cave-in, which outright deletes any objects under it.
Damm. I was looking for another, creative way to kill FB's. The only other idea i have would be to use water to flush them into the magma sea or the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Has anyone tried that and had success?
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 1178