Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117491 times)

Expurgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1290 on: June 23, 2010, 10:33:26 pm »

Fourth fortress, first year, I'm running out of alcool and the nearby brook is frozen. I attempted to channel the water to an artificial lake during the autumn but I couldn't get it to be digged in time. As I remembered from one of my previous experimentation, ice melts when they are brought inside fortresses(though I couldn't tell you I'm 100% sure about that). So now, I told my dwarves to go ahead and mine the ice to get ice chunks. And now, it seems I can't find a way to tell my dwarves to pick those cubes up and move them. I tried to dump them using a designated garbage dump zone(the only currently on the map) as well as using a pond zone.

I searched throught the forum and alas, couldn't find an answer so, could any of you guys help me?
Version: 0,31,08.

Remember, dorfs by default ignore refuse outdoors, which can be changed through the {o}rders menu.  Try that first and see what happens.

maherpac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: June 23, 2010, 10:40:42 pm »

Many, many warthogs caught in cage traps. However they don't show up in the animals tab for easy slaughtering/butcher.  Do I have to pit them all or is there any easy way to designate them for slaughter?
thanks

Barbu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 23, 2010, 10:52:20 pm »

Remember, dorfs by default ignore refuse outdoors, which can be changed through the {o}rders menu.  Try that first and see what happens.

Did that as well. Looks like ice is messing up my dwarvens haulers, maybe they think it's some kind of possessed water.

See if you can get a couple dwarves harvesting any shrubs on the map with d->p and set your woodworker to make barrels on repeat for brewing. Brewing doesn't need water, and once the ice forms in autumn, there's nothing you can do to stop it. I recently lost 2 forts to forgetting to prepare for the big freeze. Next time, you should assign a herbalist from your starting seven and start foraging right from day one until you can get some wild strawberries or set up an underground farm.

Another option is to start digging straight down as fast as you can in the hopes of hitting the first cavern or an aquifer, as those never freeze.

Stupid me, I forgot brewing didn't need water. Thanks you and to the herbalist I brought, our stockpiles is now full of Longland beer! You saved the fortress, thanks mate :D.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 23, 2010, 10:55:10 pm »

Many, many warthogs caught in cage traps. However they don't show up in the animals tab for easy slaughtering/butcher.  Do I have to pit them all or is there any easy way to designate them for slaughter?
thanks
Try taming them at a kennel first. I don't think you can slaughter wild animals. If you don't want to tame them, you can pit them then assign a dwarf to hunt and he might kill them for you.

EDIT: My question: Does anyone know much about DF genetics? does the size of a creature in its description really affect butchering returns? Do genetics really work well enough to create a race of just ultra-mighty dogs?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:16:23 pm by Keuran »

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: June 24, 2010, 02:02:01 am »

thanks

Couple of ways.  I believe if you go into the z menu and select the animal tab you can designate animal execution regardless of whether they're caged or not.

If that's not the case, or you prefer to use the u menu, then what you need to do is build a cage (b - j), then [q]uery it and assign all your warthogs to it.  Then unassign them and they'll be running free.  Now you can use the u menu slaughter option.

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: June 24, 2010, 02:40:55 am »

Having trouble getting one of my soldiers to pick up a certain weapon.  I assigned him armor/leggings and such just fine, but when I try to make him wield the iron battle axe I just produced, it isn't on the list of "specific weapon"s.  It's not forbidden, nor used by another dwarf.

Another question, the cave has one giant toad zombie in as the only inhabitants. Can some nasty thing spawn later? If I enclose an area, will that prevent them from spawning in?
You can get some creatures that spawn in there.  You'll probably have Fun with them if you aren't prepared, and they like to break down things that you build in their paths.

Edit:
Also, how do I assign flasks (and backpacks, if possible) to miners?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 03:13:04 pm by Executer »

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 24, 2010, 04:03:14 am »

Edit:
Also, how do I assign flasks (and backpacks, if possible) to miners?

I don't think they can carry flasks/waterskins/backpacks unless they are soldiers
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Waterskin

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 24, 2010, 05:19:32 am »

This isn't quite a question as much as an observation of behavior.

I have about 10 caged goblins. I have had at least twice that number of statements that '<Insert name here> Goblin <Insert profession here> has bestowed the name <XYZ> upon an Iron shield!'
I'd love to know if its the same Iron shield, and why its going to have a resume of names longer than my list of warcrimes (For every captured prisoner, I have killed at least 1 goblin, and left one in a room with six weapons traps each with 2 serrated iron discs. Not that it affected him much: He lost his toe and got a nasty scrape on his ear but after a while he just never got touched. Can anyone explain this, or has Toady created the perfect AI?).
I believe its because they've been in a cage so long that they have polished the shield up like a mirror and now use it for a conversation partner. It only started happening after my supply of coconuts dried up.

EDIT:

I tried a new trap today. It was a bridge that is meant to retract and drop goblins into a deep pit filled with spikes. It didn't. The goblin Hammerman went and took out several military dwarves, some armed with axes who, despite being competent or skilled, didn't leave a mark on him while he essentially liquified them, one bone at a time. Luckily, the goblin was stupid enough to step on a cage trap.

I think I see how he got past the trap (pressure plate with spaces on either side: a stupid mistake on my part) but why is it my dwarves were essentially molested by one goblin? And also seem to be now haunted by said goblin? I'm getting hundreds of announcements (after the goblin was captured) '<Insert name and profession> cancels rest: Interrupted by Goblin hammerman.'
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:44:24 am by Mr_Bucket_Hat »

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: June 24, 2010, 05:27:40 am »

I don't think they can carry flasks/waterskins/backpacks unless they are soldiers
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you could, but maybe I'm wrong.  Wiki does say you can assign them to Hunters though, and they aren't soldiers.  How do you do so?

TheVeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 24, 2010, 06:04:01 am »

How do I get my dwarves to stay inside ? Theres no "Stay inside" option in the order menu any more.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: June 24, 2010, 06:27:29 am »

How do I get my dwarves to stay inside ? Theres no "Stay inside" option in the order menu any more.

Burrows. Press 'w', and set a burrow. Make it incorperate every area of fortress inside. Then, when you wish them to stay inside, go to the 'M'ilitary screen, press a for alerts, go over to the burrow and press enter.

TheVeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 24, 2010, 06:28:37 am »

Burrows. Press 'w', and set a burrow. Make it incorperate every area of fortress inside. Then, when you wish them to stay inside, go to the 'M'ilitary screen, press a for alerts, go over to the burrow and press enter.
Ah, I've been trying to assign everyone to the burrow and it didnt work very well. Thank you very much.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: June 24, 2010, 06:30:39 am »

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you could, but maybe I'm wrong.  Wiki does say you can assign them to Hunters though, and they aren't soldiers.  How do you do so?
You will need to assign them to a military squad. Just make sure they don't have a barracks assigned (at least not with training enabled).

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: June 24, 2010, 07:12:29 am »

Ah, I've been trying to assign everyone to the burrow and it didnt work very well. Thank you very much.

I remember trying to do that myself. Verrrrry Timewasting, monotonous and a pain in the ass to undo.

TheVeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 24, 2010, 10:38:50 am »

Alright I've been attacked by two ambushes now and I can report back that I succeeded in keeping everyone inside my fort (thanks to Mr_Bucket_Hat) altough one of my brewers met his maker because he couldnt get back fast enough :(

So I've managed to trap 6 of the goblins in my cages but the rest are just staying outside, not doing much. So I'm training a couple of war dogs to send outside but I have absolutely no idea how to give them the order, help?

EDIT: Or is there any way to make the goblins run into the rest of my traps?
EDIT2: Uh, one of the liasons that were visiting ran out and shot a goblin in the face and that made them all charge and they all died in the traps. That works I guess.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:59:38 am by TheVeon »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 1178