Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117518 times)

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1305 on: June 24, 2010, 01:55:15 pm »

Alright I've been attacked by two ambushes now and I can report back that I succeeded in keeping everyone inside my fort (thanks to Mr_Bucket_Hat) altough one of my brewers met his maker because he couldnt get back fast enough :(

So I've managed to trap 6 of the goblins in my cages but the rest are just staying outside, not doing much. So I'm training a couple of war dogs to send outside but I have absolutely no idea how to give them the order, help?

EDIT: Or is there any way to make the goblins run into the rest of my traps?
EDIT2: Uh, one of the liasons that were visiting ran out and shot a goblin in the face and that made them all charge and they all died in the traps. That works I guess.

Firstly, Glad to help.
Secondly, those war dogs would last all of five seconds: They have no armour, their attacks are deflected, and I don't think you can order them.

Generally, if there are traps between the goblins and your dwarves, What I do is leave a door open. Take it as a process of stick and carrot. The open door and the cowering dwarves beyond is the carrot. The traps that disembowel and mutilate are the sticks.

TheVeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: June 24, 2010, 03:32:13 pm »

Alright I've been attacked by two ambushes now and I can report back that I succeeded in keeping everyone inside my fort (thanks to Mr_Bucket_Hat) altough one of my brewers met his maker because he couldnt get back fast enough :(

So I've managed to trap 6 of the goblins in my cages but the rest are just staying outside, not doing much. So I'm training a couple of war dogs to send outside but I have absolutely no idea how to give them the order, help?

EDIT: Or is there any way to make the goblins run into the rest of my traps?
EDIT2: Uh, one of the liasons that were visiting ran out and shot a goblin in the face and that made them all charge and they all died in the traps. That works I guess.

Firstly, Glad to help.
Secondly, those war dogs would last all of five seconds: They have no armour, their attacks are deflected, and I don't think you can order them.

Generally, if there are traps between the goblins and your dwarves, What I do is leave a door open. Take it as a process of stick and carrot. The open door and the cowering dwarves beyond is the carrot. The traps that disembowel and mutilate are the sticks.
Yeah, I kept the hatch open. It didn't make them any more tempted to go into my field of traps though. But I've redesigned the entrance and fanned out random patterns of trap all over the entrance so even if they hang around they'll walk into traps.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: June 24, 2010, 03:47:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure that after they've seen your traps, they know they're there. Successive waves of goblins seem to wait juuust beyond my trapline unless they see someone and get excited. Even then often not. They just sit there waiting for someone to notice some socks or something.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

TheVeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: June 24, 2010, 04:22:01 pm »

I'm pretty sure that after they've seen your traps, they know they're there. Successive waves of goblins seem to wait juuust beyond my trapline unless they see someone and get excited. Even then often not. They just sit there waiting for someone to notice some socks or something.
Would making a maze-like thing and hooking some kind of bait animal (war dog perhaps) make them run inside the maze and have them obliterated by traps? Or perhaps shutting a door behind them once they're inside the maze.

Morhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: June 24, 2010, 04:32:48 pm »

First year - no caravan. Second year - no caravan and even no migrants. My civ "has no important leaders". They gone forever?
This day going to be perfect!

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: June 24, 2010, 05:17:17 pm »

First year - no caravan. Second year - no caravan and even no migrants. My civ "has no important leaders". They gone forever?
I've seen the caravan not come in early years sometimes. It might be because of your created wealth. Try smoothing and engraving all your walls and telling a craftsdwarf to make lots and lots of stuff.

Did you get any migrants on the first year? If you did the caravan not coming would be a bug.

EDIT:

The bug of getting caravans even after your civ is extinct was fixed? If you don't have a civ, abandoning a fort and starting a new one should cause your dwarves to kickstart the civ, allowing immigrants to be inexplicably created out of thin air at the edge of your map again.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:26:37 pm by Keuran »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1311 on: June 24, 2010, 05:22:26 pm »

IF your civilization has "No important leaders" then the dwarves were wiped out in world gen.  You are the last dwarves in the world.  You will never get a dwarven trade caravan, outpost liason, or any of the later nobility.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TheVeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 24, 2010, 05:37:10 pm »

I have like 20 goblins laying around now that I do not know what to do with. I was thinking of sticking em in a room with spike traps and toggling them on and off for the lulz, what's the best and safest way to get them out of the cages into a room?

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 24, 2010, 05:43:56 pm »

Build the cages next to a ledge over the room then designate them to be dumped off the closest ledge using a pit zone.

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 24, 2010, 06:00:44 pm »

How do I stockpile adamantine strands separately from other 'cloth'?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:04:53 pm by heuristicus »

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 24, 2010, 06:05:35 pm »

How do I stockpile adamantine strands?

My dwarves are putting it in to a bin in one of my cloth stockpiles, but when I have a look in the bin, I can't see the strands.  I'd rather be able to see them, just for peace of mind.
Try making a cloth stockpile set to not accept anything and make it take from all your other cloth piles. Adamantine isn't listed, so your dwarves will only put that in the new pile and it'll be easier to see without all the pig tail junk on top of it.

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 24, 2010, 08:07:14 pm »

Try making a cloth stockpile set to not accept anything and make it take from all your other cloth piles. Adamantine isn't listed, so your dwarves will only put that in the new pile and it'll be easier to see without all the pig tail junk on top of it.
I've had issues with the "Take from other stockpile" feature in 2010, but yes, that's the only way to separate them out.  I don't think it's possible to change what you can store in stockpiles (the raws seem to have no entries for stockpiles)

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 24, 2010, 08:14:33 pm »

I've had issues with the "Take from other stockpile" feature in 2010, but yes, that's the only way to separate them out.  I don't think it's possible to change what you can store in stockpiles (the raws seem to have no entries for stockpiles)

Take from stockpile was supposedly fixed recently. You don't edit it in the raws. Press q and scroll over a stockpile, then press s. It'll bring up a list to select what you want to put in the pile.

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 24, 2010, 08:18:13 pm »

You don't edit it in the raws. Press q and scroll over a stockpile, then press s. It'll bring up a list to select what you want to put in the pile.
I've been wanting to add adamantite strands to the list of available stockpile items, but, as I said, I can't find any entries in the raws for what can be stored in stockpiles or not (and where).

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 24, 2010, 08:25:26 pm »

Adamantine isn't in the list, but it's turned on by default, probably because there isn't a category for metal strands. If you turn off all the other thread, adamantine will still be on, so the pile will take it out of your other piles if you use take from pile.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 1178