Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117509 times)

Bac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1275 on: June 23, 2010, 03:58:35 am »

@Ed Boy:
Yes, they have access. Here's a little pic:

That farm started running after I designed the trees for chopping.

@Xenoc:
But they do build beds or doors ... And if removed from the squad they still don't do a thing about the wood. Right now I have 4 dwarves with the labor enabled, only one dwarf in the squad, and still nothing (and yes, I did embark with 2 axes). What bugs me also is the lack of mention in the job list, I thought it would at least be present as inactive.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: June 23, 2010, 04:57:30 am »

@Xenoc: Thanks for the reply, yeah..it's a bummer the military training system is still slightly bugged. I'm talking about preparing them to enlist in the military. I read somewhere that operating the bump can grant them stamina or something like that, but I don't see any way to check.

Bac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: June 23, 2010, 05:14:37 am »

@wDarkz:
"Thoughts and preferences"  screen lists the physical attributes as well, if a dwarf becomes tougher it should show (I guess).
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Attribute

@Others:
I guess the only option I have left to get this wood is to either A) kill one of my axemen or B) make another axe?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 05:16:40 am by Bac »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: June 23, 2010, 05:17:58 am »

if you have any wood, a training axe can cut down trees.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: June 23, 2010, 05:19:50 am »

@Bac - doesn't matter that you've deactivated them - once a dwarf has been in the military he essentially becomes useless for anything else.  I am also assuming you haven't gone into the military equipment menu to change their off-duty equipment status.  by default the remain in uniform, meaning that your two axedwarves - even when you de-mil them - are still carrying around the two axes, preventing any other dwarves from accessing them.

Go into your military menu, and change the squad so that they are not in uniform when off duty.  Then deactivate the squad.  With a bit of luck the axedwarves should put the axes down, letting your other dwarves have a go with them.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: June 23, 2010, 05:55:14 am »

Woah! My dwarves are actually sparring. With "Spar" on their job and units descriptions
Did Toady fix the sparring issue? o_o

Edit: Two are sparring, another two has "Go to Sparring Match" as their job. Kickass.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: June 23, 2010, 06:14:19 am »

Sparring should occur when you have a sufficiently well trained military (and possibly well equipped) that the squad leader feels safe letting the recruits spar. Both sparring and demonstrations (whereby a dwarf demonstrates their ability to kick, bite, fence, whatever, to the rest of the squad) have been in (and at least partially functional) since 31.01 (I've seen it in .01, .02, .05 & .06), but I have no idea how to consistently get that behaviour, beyond knowing that it is extremely helpful to have a militia commander with at least some organizing experience.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: June 23, 2010, 01:28:10 pm »

Nobody answered before, so again:

Where does the file from export image/info from world generation go in the DF folders?

Also, is there any way I can check attributes of my dwarves before I embark.  I currently have a miner who can dig about 20 tiles and then gets tired.  Would've been nice to know beforehand.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: June 23, 2010, 01:30:42 pm »

The exported image/info goes in the main DF folder, at least on windows.

You can view dwarves' profiles on embark exactly like you can in game.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: June 23, 2010, 01:32:58 pm »

Nobody answered before, so again:

Where does the file from export image/info from world generation go in the DF folders?

Also, is there any way I can check attributes of my dwarves before I embark.  I currently have a miner who can dig about 20 tiles and then gets tired.  Would've been nice to know beforehand.

It goes into the main DF folder.
You can (v)iew your dwarves' specifics in the "prepare carefully" screen before embark. you can also (c)ustomize their names, if that's your thing.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

ZiggyPox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: June 23, 2010, 02:31:45 pm »

hello everyone, i cant get throught this little problem

my hunter/animal trainer have catch some vermins and tammed them but i can't find the way to remove them from animal traps.
I'v tried to puting them into cages and then releasing, but my dorks are puting them BACK into empty traps ;/.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1286 on: June 23, 2010, 02:46:54 pm »

Tamed vermin are normally impossible to release to wander around like that.  They're either in a cage, an animal trap, or being carried around by their owner.  If you really want to you can build a cage, put them in the cage, link a lever to the cage and have a dwarf pull it to open the cage and release them.  Then you can watch your dwarves run around trying to recapture them and put them back in an animal trap.

What you do with tame vermin is either stick them in a cage on display somewhere, or make them available for adoption.  If a dwarf likes a vermin animal that's tame and available for adoption, he'll take it and carry it around with him everywhere.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ZiggyPox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: June 23, 2010, 03:51:24 pm »

oh well, i hoped that they will wander around waiting for their new owner.
Thnx for fast answer :D

Barbu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: June 23, 2010, 09:16:44 pm »

Fourth fortress, first year, I'm running out of alcool and the nearby brook is frozen. I attempted to channel the water to an artificial lake during the autumn but I couldn't get it to be digged in time. As I remembered from one of my previous experimentation, ice melts when they are brought inside fortresses(though I couldn't tell you I'm 100% sure about that). So now, I told my dwarves to go ahead and mine the ice to get ice chunks. And now, it seems I can't find a way to tell my dwarves to pick those cubes up and move them. I tried to dump them using a designated garbage dump zone(the only currently on the map) as well as using a pond zone.

I searched throught the forum and alas, couldn't find an answer so, could any of you guys help me?
Version: 0,31,08.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:31:57 pm by Barbu »

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: June 23, 2010, 10:03:08 pm »

See if you can get a couple dwarves harvesting any shrubs on the map with d->p and set your woodworker to make barrels on repeat for brewing. Brewing doesn't need water, and once the ice forms in autumn, there's nothing you can do to stop it. I recently lost 2 forts to forgetting to prepare for the big freeze. Next time, you should assign a herbalist from your starting seven and start foraging right from day one until you can get some wild strawberries or set up an underground farm.

Another option is to start digging straight down as fast as you can in the hopes of hitting the first cavern or an aquifer, as those never freeze.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 1178