Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116909 times)

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1035 on: June 12, 2010, 03:03:22 pm »

I've had one trade caravan so far, from the Mountainhomes. I don't really understand civ relations yet, but the traders left with about a 20% "tip," so we should be on good terms.

:edit: checking my Civ screen, there are two, my Dwarf race, and a Kobold race.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 03:08:56 pm by Louist »

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: June 12, 2010, 06:48:33 pm »

I've had one trade caravan so far, from the Mountainhomes. I don't really understand civ relations yet, but the traders left with about a 20% "tip," so we should be on good terms.

:edit: checking my Civ screen, there are two, my Dwarf race, and a Kobold race.

The only other thing I can think of is... maybe the value of your fort isn't very high.
Or maybe it just takes longer than a year?  Not sure.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: June 12, 2010, 06:51:26 pm »

1. HFS is on every map?

2. Would mining out a mutliple z-level room, and engraving the top two levels affect the dwarves at all? (as in, do the dwarves care if visible things above them look pretty.)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: June 12, 2010, 07:17:09 pm »

So I've been playing 40d for about a week now, and feel like I'm really starting to understand most of the DF concepts, though I'm still a newbie by no doubts. I'm considering picking up 31.06, what are the most important changes? I know that there are waaaay more z-levels (I'm hoping my computer can handle it...) and you're guaranteed HFS/caverns/magma/etc (confirm/deny?), marksmanship is broken, and there's doctoring! What else should I know?
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: June 12, 2010, 07:26:24 pm »

Quinnr:
1: Yup.
2: That sounds like it's worth some experimenting! I know for certain that it won't add to the room's value.

Snook:
All three are confirmed. You might have to dig pretty deep for magma, though.
Aside from what you mentioned, the biggest changes are probably the new military screen, and the materials/wounds system. REDACTED warhammers are a bad idea, and never send your dwarves to a fight without full armour (since armour's received a sizable buff).

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: June 12, 2010, 07:29:56 pm »

So if I embark on a  3x3 or 2x3 (or smaller!) I can still be guaranteed at least *decent* resources?
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: June 12, 2010, 09:20:39 pm »

The only other thing I can think of is... maybe the value of your fort isn't very high.

Well, I'm using the same save-file as TinyPirate in his tutorial, and following it almost exactly, but he's picking up migrants left and right! Oh well, I suppose it's just bad rolls on my part.

Question # 2: I've started another fort on the side, and while it seems ideal in many ways (Some high cliffs for defense, but otherwise flat plateaus, which I'm finding a lot easier to wrap my head around. But digging in to start some plump helmet farms, I realize that the interior is all sand! Is sand fertile enough that I can sustain this fort with my starting seeds, or am I forced to starting outdoor farms, and hoping animals and goblins don't take away all my food?

Thanks.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: June 12, 2010, 09:22:55 pm »

Well, I'm using the same save-file as TinyPirate in his tutorial, and following it almost exactly, but he's picking up migrants left and right! Oh well, I suppose it's just bad rolls on my part.

Question # 2: I've started another fort on the side, and while it seems ideal in many ways (Some high cliffs for defense, but otherwise flat plateaus, which I'm finding a lot easier to wrap my head around. But digging in to start some plump helmet farms, I realize that the interior is all sand! Is sand fertile enough that I can sustain this fort with my starting seeds, or am I forced to starting outdoor farms, and hoping animals and goblins don't take away all my food?

Thanks.

Sand is fine, but you need to dump water on it to make it muddy first. Murky pools are probably the best bet if there are any nearby.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: June 12, 2010, 10:35:27 pm »

Sand is fine, but you need to dump water on it to make it muddy first. Murky pools are probably the best bet if there are any nearby.

I have some murky pools and a small pound close me, but how would I go about muddying the sand? I assume I need to make a bucket, but will my planter do it automatically? Giving tasks and such is still beyond me, I've just figured out how to set up permissions so my miners will stop collecting wood :)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: June 12, 2010, 11:36:59 pm »

I usually just dig into it, making it flood. As long as one square of it goes down to 1 water, it'll all evaporate eventually.

Or you could designate a pool as a water source, and your farm as a wond...I think that'd work.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: June 12, 2010, 11:59:06 pm »

To irrigate with buckets, you typically need two z-levels, so that you can dig out an irrigation room above and a farm room below.  Channel out a few holes in the floor of the irrigation room, and make as many buckets (I use 4 holes for a 5x5 room).  Designate each of the holes as a pond that's not full. Your dwarves will now keep trying to fill the ponds, by throwing water onto the holes... where it falls into the farm room below.  Keep this up until every tile of your farm room has had water on it at some point, and is therefore muddy.

Things to watch out for:
  • You're in a race against evaporation: you need to get enough water in to spread out and get all the tiles wet before it evaporates.  4 holes is enough for a 5x5 room even in a very hot climate, as long as the water source is nearby.
  • You'll get "needs empty bucket" job cancellation spam if you don't have enough buckets, or if the dwarves take the buckets back to a stockpile every time they fill a hole (so temporarily forbid buckets from your furniture stockpile).
  • Don't think that you can just channel out from the surface  The accursed sun will reach down into your farm room through the holes, turning the tiles underneath "light", and then your farmers will refuse to plant subterranean crops there.
  • If you're really short on wood, you can micromanage things with one bucket.  Just activate one hole at a time, and get the water to spread out around the tile beneath it.  Once that region is muddy, deactivate that hole and activate a neighboring one.  Takes longer, uses more water, but if you only have one log you can still get a farm.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: June 13, 2010, 01:17:49 am »

Thank you everyone for the help! I was wondering what would happen if I dug  out the wall between my tunnels and the pond, and figured this was as good a time as any to learn what the result would be. If anything, I was surprised that my miner easily outran the water.

Now, this pond (about 35-40 tiles) has sufficiently muddied two of my farms and a lot of tunnel space (If I go back and redesign the farms around the pond, I could do better).

Now, I have to ask, are these farms muddied forever, or has this been a temporary measure?

Thanks again!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: June 13, 2010, 01:25:59 am »

I think its temporary, but it lasts a long, long time.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: June 13, 2010, 02:08:55 am »

unless you build a wall on it. Removing the farm may do it, too.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: June 13, 2010, 03:58:59 am »

What do slimey rotten flies do?
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 1178