Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116671 times)

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1050 on: June 13, 2010, 04:03:55 am »

Thank you everyone for the help! I was wondering what would happen if I dug  out the wall between my tunnels and the pond, and figured this was as good a time as any to learn what the result would be. If anything, I was surprised that my miner easily outran the water.

Now, this pond (about 35-40 tiles) has sufficiently muddied two of my farms and a lot of tunnel space (If I go back and redesign the farms around the pond, I could do better).

Now, I have to ask, are these farms muddied forever, or has this been a temporary measure?

Thanks again!

Easier to put a door in front of the water, attach a mechanism and lever to it, and then close the door when your farm floods to 1 or 2 levels of water.
That way you don't have to wait as long for the water to evaporate, and you won't have water/mud all over the place.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: June 13, 2010, 04:12:37 am »

I've got a door in place now. Over the last two seasons the pond has even refilled to about 4-or-5 so this should work nicely. Of course, just when things seem to be going nicely, it turns out the liaison and traders spawn way WAY at the top of the map, and can't reach my depot. I'm rushing to dig some stairs to reach them, but I doubt I can have it done before they leave.

This creates some issues. Watching two entrances will be tough, and do I have to make a new Depot on the top z-level, or will the caravan come down the 1x3 tile stairs?

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: June 13, 2010, 06:31:45 am »

Is there anyway to assign a tomb to a dwarf already dead? (31)

Also, in a freezing biome, where can I direct the flow of water after it goes through my interfortress water system/water fall? Normally I'd dump it back into the river, but since the river is frozen, I'm afraid pouring it outside will just freeze and clog up my pipes, resulting in a soggy fort. If I pour it into a cavern lake that is touching the edge of the map, would it just...go away?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 07:07:25 am by Halo »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: June 13, 2010, 11:11:02 am »

I've got a door in place now. Over the last two seasons the pond has even refilled to about 4-or-5 so this should work nicely. Of course, just when things seem to be going nicely, it turns out the liaison and traders spawn way WAY at the top of the map, and can't reach my depot. I'm rushing to dig some stairs to reach them, but I doubt I can have it done before they leave.

This creates some issues. Watching two entrances will be tough, and do I have to make a new Depot on the top z-level, or will the caravan come down the 1x3 tile stairs?

ramps. Anything not a wagon will go down stairs, but wagons need ramps.
So for now all you need are even a 1 wide staircase, but in the future you'll want to set yourself up with ramps.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 11:12:41 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: June 13, 2010, 12:54:23 pm »

Well, as a temporary measure I just built a new Depot on the top of the mountain. It's a pain, having my dwarfs carry bins up and down about 10 z-levels :)
Thanks for the info on ramps, I hadn't even noticed them.

Alright, another question!

I'm trying to clean up a bunch of limonite so I can create some stockpiles. Using d-b-d I've designated the boulders to be dumped, and using i-g, I've created a one tile dump zone in the corner of the room. However, no dwarfs are willing to move the stuff, even when idle. Is there more to it than that?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:58:48 pm by Louist »

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: June 13, 2010, 01:06:30 pm »

I've got a seaside are with 3 biomes (ocean, badlands, and woodlands.) The woodland terrain has an aquifer (I think? The water tiles next to a listed soil type mean I have one, yes?) This aquifer is my only source of fresh water... How do I tap into it's power without accidentally flooding my fort? Does the aquifer 'leak' into surrounding layers?
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: June 13, 2010, 02:03:18 pm »

I recently had a Queen appear in my fortress, along with her aid who is also her husband. This is the first Aristocrat noble I have had appear, will I still be able to get the Baron or Duke or Count appear?

The population is  247, created wealth 15 mil so the fortress meets the requirements, anyone have any ideas what I must do to get those nobles?

Cheers.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: June 13, 2010, 05:58:02 pm »

I've got a seaside are with 3 biomes (ocean, badlands, and woodlands.) The woodland terrain has an aquifer (I think? The water tiles next to a listed soil type mean I have one, yes?) This aquifer is my only source of fresh water... How do I tap into it's power without accidentally flooding my fort? Does the aquifer 'leak' into surrounding layers?
If there's an ocean anywhere's on screen. then I'm sorry to tell you, but the aquifer will be salt water.
Nom nom nom

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: June 13, 2010, 06:31:36 pm »

Well, as a temporary measure I just built a new Depot on the top of the mountain. It's a pain, having my dwarfs carry bins up and down about 10 z-levels :)
Thanks for the info on ramps, I hadn't even noticed them.

Alright, another question!

I'm trying to clean up a bunch of limonite so I can create some stockpiles. Using d-b-d I've designated the boulders to be dumped, and using i-g, I've created a one tile dump zone in the corner of the room. However, no dwarfs are willing to move the stuff, even when idle. Is there more to it than that?
Keep in mind that 10 Z-Levels count the same for distance as 10 squares. If you put a trade goods stockpile right under your new depot you'll make hauling a lot easier.

As for the Limonite, check the job list. There should a "Dump Item" job for every single stone you selected. If the jobs exist one of two things is happening:

1) You're not giving your little morons enough time. They don't know there's more work to do so they're sitting on their little dwarfy butts. Give them a week.

2) You have played with the Hauling settings so nobody ios supposed to haul big-ass rocks to a dump.

If the Limonite has not created a bunch of dump jobs you've screwed up somewhere. Maybe you forgot to hit enter when you made the dump. Maybe all that stone is forbidden, so the dwarves can't touch it.

SirBruce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: June 13, 2010, 09:16:45 pm »

Are the Smelters inside a burrow without fuel or raw ingredients access? There's a bug with smelter type buildings and burrows at the moment in that they don't accept any orders even if the burrow has no furnace operating dorfs assigned and your problem might be a variant of that.

Yep, that was the case and now it works like a charm. Thanks a bunch!

Wow, I'm glad I saw this thread.  Thanks for the help; I couldn't get my smelters to work!

I had defined a burrow for each level of my fortress... looks like that was a bad idea.  Back to one large burrow.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: June 13, 2010, 11:18:22 pm »

I have a ton of animals in my tropical fort and I want to know what has a greater effect on the FPS,

- wandering creatures (tamed dogs and cats or war dogs / elephants )
- caged creatures (have dozens of puppies, kittens, elephants and caged domestic creatures, two zoos worth of various creatures tamed and otherwise)
- tame tigermen and their cubs wandering around.. shouldnt have imported them!
- a running brook

my fort is only 2x2 squares, population 120 or so, so prepared to dam up the river or slaughter a lot of elephant calves to free up some fps.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: June 13, 2010, 11:58:37 pm »

I don't think a brook affects it too much, but I might be wrong.

Pets can definitely affect FPS, with all the pathing they do. ESPECIALLY if the pets try to path through locked doors glitch is still in existence.

Caged creatures don't affect FPS hardly at all, that I've found. But chained creatures might affect it minorly.

This is all my thoughts, and some of it may be wrong.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: June 14, 2010, 12:33:43 am »

But having an extreme amount of loose stone lags like hell. I probably could've gone from 10-20 FPS to 40+ if I atom smashed the 16000 stones I had.

But this was a 40d fort that I got bored with so I punched some holes in it and flooded half of it with magma.

drayab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: June 14, 2010, 05:25:25 am »

So, I've recently started playing with cage traps, and I managed to catch a blue monkey. I can't seem to train the monkey, so I want to eat it, but when I try to let it out of the cage to kill it, my trapper stuffs it into another cage. He does that when I try to unassign the monkey from his cage; it's the same way I release tame creatures I buy from the elves. I appreciate his caution in not letting wild monkeys loose in the Great Hall, but how do I open the door to have a little fun?

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: June 14, 2010, 05:37:34 am »

You could build the cage, hook it up to a lever and then pull it. I think there is an easier way but can't remember.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 1178