Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117029 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1005 on: June 11, 2010, 04:13:52 pm »

"There is nothing to catch in the Eastern Ocean"

Um, this is a glitch right? How can there be nothing to catch in an ocean? It's not like I had twenty dwarves fishing out of it either. I hadone dwarf fishing for about 3 minutes then I got this message. How can I get the fish to come back?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: June 11, 2010, 05:10:27 pm »

Is it winter? Fish are sparse during the cold months. It seems like having a large area designated for fishing rather than a couple squares helps too.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: June 11, 2010, 05:10:56 pm »

This has likely been asked several damn times already, but I'm too lazy to go dig for the answer.

I've got a migrant that I've assigned to be my new fort's hunter, but all they've done so far is set some animal traps. How the hell do I get them to go hunt? (Running 31.06 Legacy, btw.)

Disregard this! I figured out the problem: no crossbows. (I'm an idiot.  :B)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:22:42 pm by vhappylurker »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: June 11, 2010, 05:27:26 pm »

Is it winter? Fish are sparse during the cold months. It seems like having a large area designated for fishing rather than a couple squares helps too.

It's Early Spring according to the game. Even if it was winter that still doesn't mean there should be nothing to catch though. It seems kind of silly that an ocean biome can easily be depleted of fish by one dwarf .
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: June 11, 2010, 07:45:43 pm »

This has likely been asked several damn times already, but I'm too lazy to go dig for the answer.

I've got a migrant that I've assigned to be my new fort's hunter, but all they've done so far is set some animal traps. How the hell do I get them to go hunt? (Running 31.06 Legacy, btw.)

Disregard this! I figured out the problem: no crossbows. (I'm an idiot.  :B)

The problem is that you have the wrong labor on; trapping is for capturing vermin. Turn on hunting and they'll start stalking big game automatically. However, it works better to recruit the hunter into the military and manually order him to kill things. That way you can use any weapon you want, and he'll sleep in a bed rather than on the ground.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:27:55 pm by Eidako »

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: June 11, 2010, 09:37:40 pm »

*cough*
I bought windows 7, set everything up and now when I try to play DF I get horrible FPS, they jump around from 20 to 52 constantly and I just dont know whats wrong here.
Does anyone have any tips for me?
*cough*
The lag and slow response times it creates just make DF unplayable, it wasn't like this with windows xp.
I allready looked all over the internet for an answer but wasn't successfull yet.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: June 11, 2010, 10:19:56 pm »

Best I have to offer is pointing out the fact that 64-bit operating systems need quite a bit more resources than the old XP.

I have Windows 7 and it works perfectly fine for me.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: June 11, 2010, 10:29:03 pm »

Best I have to offer is pointing out the fact that 64-bit operating systems need quite a bit more resources than the old XP.

But I am using the 32 bit version so I dont know whats wrong there.

EDIT: The strange thing is I only noticed it in DF and Age of chivalry (A hl2 medieval total conversion mod which is awesome) where as all my other games (even ones with a high sys req like america's army 3) run fine
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:43:10 am by bluephoenix »

Vehine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: June 12, 2010, 01:50:53 am »

Alright, re-asking: is there a workaround to the 'dwarves drop their weapons after slaying something' bug? :( It makes defense a bit difficult.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: June 12, 2010, 02:04:07 am »

depends why they were dropping them.
I was assuming they were woodcutters that got in a fight before dropping their axes like they normally would, then dropped them after the first kill. Unless this were the case, I've never seen this particular bug.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1015 on: June 12, 2010, 03:29:19 am »

Sorry if this has already been asked; I've looked around and can't find it. I'm trying to set up the latest version and I'm having problems adjusting the window and font size in init.  If I change it from the defaults I end up with large sections of the window being blank/missing, things cut off, or the characters squashed and stretched in crazy ways.  I just want a square tileset with a bigger window to take advantage of my 1280x800 resolution.  It needn't fill the whole window, but the current size is infuriatingly small.  Any suggestions?  I tried copying the settings from the old version (40d) but it did not work at all.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: June 12, 2010, 04:10:16 am »

But I am using the 32 bit version so I dont know whats wrong there.

EDIT: The strange thing is I only noticed it in DF and Age of chivalry (A hl2 medieval total conversion mod which is awesome) where as all my other games (even ones with a high sys req like america's army 3) run fine
Ok I think I found the problem, it seems I forgot to install my graphics drivers...

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: June 12, 2010, 04:57:06 am »

Under the "civilizations" screen, some of the civilizations have a P next to them.  What's that mean?  Didn't find it in the wiki.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: June 12, 2010, 05:20:28 am »

Under the "civilizations" screen, some of the civilizations have a P next to them.  What's that mean?  Didn't find it in the wiki.
It means that you are in a "P"eace state with them, it never goes away for me even if they attack me (bug?)

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: June 12, 2010, 07:01:56 am »

what can I do against firesnakes? My cat won't hunt it and the snake begins to destroy my wooden bins where I store the bars...
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 1178