Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117336 times)

jerank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #780 on: May 22, 2010, 03:11:12 pm »

If I get sieged, will the attackers attempt to destroy any buildings I have outdoors before anything else? I have some elaborate water supply systems depending on a few key floodgates outside where I cannot defend them, could attackers go after them rather then my dwarves?

Plus, are dwarven caravans supposed to bring +5000 units of food with them? This is how much I sometimes get if I mark out a large ammount of different prepared food types.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 22, 2010, 03:15:46 pm »

Jerank, attackers such as trolls path is based on destroyable buildings, so trolls will very likly go for the nearest destroyable buildings.. and they will very likly be your building on the outside.

Goblins on the other hand will go and kill your dwarfs first at the same time.

I would suggest putting a wall around your water supply system..

and in terms of food.. no idk what is up with that. I suggest if you don't want so much food, don't rise it to so high of a priority.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 22, 2010, 08:05:19 pm »

I assign someone to mining and I have picks in storage but they don't go get the picks and just list as having "No Job".  How do I fix this?  Also, I am in a map with very few trees, is their a substitute for wooden beds, barrels, and crates?

DangerHelvetica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 22, 2010, 09:42:10 pm »

Are titans, forgotten beasts, etc vulnerable to upright spikes/spear traps? I figure that they can avoid the other sorts of traps, but since a spear trap is remotely activated, it might work.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 22, 2010, 11:30:54 pm »

I assign someone to mining and I have picks in storage but they don't go get the picks and just list as having "No Job".  How do I fix this?  Also, I am in a map with very few trees, is their a substitute for wooden beds, barrels, and crates?

Maybe you need an arsenal dwarf before they will take the picks?  I'm not sure...  I assume you gave the dwarfs the mining labor?
You can make metal barrels, but beds have to be made from wood.  I'm not sure what you mean by "crate"?

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 23, 2010, 12:47:42 am »

I haven't found any definitive answers on which bugs were fixed in .04.

I know it was primarialy to get some some of graphics improvement and there weren't a lot of bug fixed, but then there were some bug fixes too, and it doesn't hurt to double check. I checked the 'known bugs' page on the which, but most of the updates were from April.

Specifically I'm wondering if the following bugs still exist:

Melting Objects can crash the game

Marksdwaves do not train/pickup ammo

Training demonstrations don't happen/keep your dwarves occupied forever

Nobles beyond the mayor never appear

Wagons are MIA

Stone traps do negligible/zero damage

Hunting is borked

Blood/vomit spreads and spreads and spreads, especially around wells or other places dwarves clean themselves.

Dwarves in hospitals occasionally die of thirst when there are idle dwarves to water them.Doctors perform their tasks on wounded dwarves nonstop until they give up and go eat/drink, without healing the dwarf.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 23, 2010, 01:23:55 am »

Hi!

Specifically I'm wondering if the following bugs still exist:

Melting Objects can crash the game

Toady One has marked this as fixed for the next version (.05, I suppose). So not fixed yet.

Wagons are MIA

Still no wagons with the traders.

Stone traps do negligible/zero damage

That is probably not a bug. So I don't expect that to change.

Blood/vomit spreads and spreads and spreads, especially around wells or other places dwarves clean themselves.

I am not sure since I had a lot of idle dwarves. But I think it still spreads quite happily.

Dwarves in hospitals occasionally die of thirst when there are idle dwarves to water them.Doctors perform their tasks on wounded dwarves nonstop until they give up and go eat/drink, without healing the dwarf.

Allegedly partially fixed. However, there are still reports of this occurring.

In addition, the deadly rain and missing fish bug still seem to be around.

Deathworks

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 23, 2010, 06:24:08 am »

My fortress site has tons of wildlife  (elephants and chimps mostly), and I managed to catch and import a ton from the elves. However, the taming process leaves seeds and food behind in the cages. How do I collect those seeds again? Once I transfer the tame animal out for training or slaughtering, the seeds sit there in the cage (which sit in my animal stockpiles) - how do i get at the seeds and stop the incessant blinking?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 23, 2010, 10:05:47 am »

I have another problem. Recently my cook received a fey mood, but all they have done is stand outside my fort doing nothing. I assumed this meant that I lacked the proper workshop. The problem is I have no idea what workshop my cook needs. His skills are in brewing, soapmaking, liar, cook, and fish cleaner. I'm not sure how any of those translate to a fey mood, aside from maybe cooking but I already have a kitchen built and he hasn't done anything with it. How do I figure out what to build?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 23, 2010, 10:09:43 am »

Hi!

Internet Kraken: If a dwarf has no skills in anything obvious like masonry, they usually pick a craftdwarf's workshop to create some nice earring or something :)
At least that is the usual default.
However, the easiest thing is to simply build all missing workshops and see which he claims (Leatherworks, glass furnace, and clothier are also targets of moods).

Deathworks

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 23, 2010, 10:10:21 am »

Build a craftsdwarfs workshop. All the skills you listed are non-moodable, so as a result, the dwarf will default to one of bone, stone or wood crafting.

Ninja'd by deathworks.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 23, 2010, 10:50:30 am »

Are you using Dwarf Therapist to assign mining (or woodcutting)? that doesn't work at the moment,and gives the same problem.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 24, 2010, 02:30:30 am »

Just for clarification, a forgotten beast that is a leech with no organs, and only consists of a body and a shell, is unkillible? Should I just wall up that cavern, sent in the military?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 24, 2010, 02:34:13 am »

Conventional attacks won't kill it. However, "unkillable" is a bit of an exaggeration. It's not immortal by any means. You can cause a cave-in, drown it, boil it in magma, or as a last resort encase it in obsidian.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 24, 2010, 04:08:36 am »

I'm not sure about drowning, I know most of the beasts I have encountered seemed amphibious at least.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 1178