Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122907 times)

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #330 on: April 11, 2010, 05:48:52 pm »

Why did my war grizzly bear not only lose in melee combat to a goblin crossbowman, but the goblin was unharmed? (built a sheltered corner that the goblin had to walk around to fight)

It seems all my war animals in general were completely unable to harm a goblin ambush. (4 spear 1 crossbow, first attack)  Does war training remove their teeth and claws or something?

It was kind of annoying, I thought that massing war hounds and other elven oddities would allow me to bypass the evil military screen.

Lots of people have said this.  Evidently war dogs can't bite through cloth, even.  Somebody in the mod threads said it has to do with the density/material values for teeth, that they're not right.  Get yourself some horned animals and they should do fine.  Or get a dwarven pig: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53533.0

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 11, 2010, 08:03:05 pm »

Does Refuse not decay any more?  Haven't had any two-legged rhino lizards (or whatever they are) or any of the other pest skeletons decay yet.  They're just clogging up my refuse pile outside and the corpses inside are building up.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

mblack04

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 11, 2010, 09:48:00 pm »

I didn't see it anywhere so I thought I'd ask here.  In the new version, is it, uh, normal for it to use 1.5 gigs of RAM to create a new world, as well as a full processor?  Beeeecause it does with me.  I can play an earlier version just fine, but not this one.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 11, 2010, 10:18:33 pm »

Does Refuse not decay any more?  Haven't had any two-legged rhino lizards (or whatever they are) or any of the other pest skeletons decay yet.  They're just clogging up my refuse pile outside and the corpses inside are building up.

A: Its a pretty common bug that has been added to the bug tracker. I'm not sure what its priority in Toady's mind as far as fixing it.

nobodynothing

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 11, 2010, 11:24:28 pm »

Can berserk dwarfs no longer be captured in cage traps? I had a Dwarf go berserk, and I left her to wander into some cage traps I had set up (to stop a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
) but she walked right over them...

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #335 on: April 12, 2010, 03:34:37 am »

Q: Cant you deal with aquifiers by digging next to volcanos, or is it just me who was unlucky?
Nobody answered this the page you asked so my answer is:
volcano pipes are the same shape all the way from bottom to top of the map now (even if the hill stops).

So chances are the aquifer goes all the way up to the 1-tile wide wall of the magma pipe. Hence if you are more than 1 tile away from the magma pipe, you get, water.

Workaround: there's magma, RIGHT THERE! channel + magma FTW
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #336 on: April 12, 2010, 03:35:29 am »

quantum-dump-zone + hide.
Or just hide, they don't rot so no miasma!
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 12, 2010, 06:29:55 am »

quantum-dump-zone + hide.
Or just hide, they don't rot so no miasma!

quantum-dump-zone + atom-smasher is the high tech way to deal with it

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #338 on: April 12, 2010, 08:59:48 am »

So I had a dwarf go into a fey mood and demand bones.  A Kobold skeleton was sitting in my refuse pile, but nobody would touch it.  I opened the gates and unforbid a horse skeleton on the ground outside, which was promptly taken to a butcher's shop and processed into bones, hooves, and a skull.  The strange mood dwarf promptly made the horse bones into an iron figurine (yeah, alchemy bug).  Meanwhile that Kobold skeleton is still sitting there ignored.

If corpses that rot away leave skeletons instead of bones now, and skeletons can only be turned into bones at butcher's shops, and sentient creatures can't be butchered, does that mean that it's impossible to make anything out of the bones of sentient creatures?  No elf bone bolts?  No goblin skull totems?  No mermaid bone farms?  Someone tell me what I'm missing.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 12, 2010, 11:23:27 am »

Could someone tell my how to make the game screen larger? Not Dwarf Fortress itself, but the little box which you see the Dwarf Fortress world, options and map-looking thing.
Change the 80:25 in init.txt to match the resolution your window is set to.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 12, 2010, 11:23:48 am »

Were the skeletons you butchered from animals that had already been designated to be butchered?

My problem is that a cat died, rotted away to a skeleton, and is not taking up space in my stockpiles. Butcher a dead animal doesn't work, I get a message that there's nothing to butcher.

Nick
Pet cat?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

chikago666

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 12, 2010, 01:23:02 pm »

Hi. newbie here. Im was in my first fortress still learning how to play and something weird happened.  One Dwarf intered in berzerk mode, and began to hit the Caravan elf´s Mount. I didnt knew what to do to stop him, so i create my first squad and ordered them to kill the berzerk. They punched him to death, leaving the Equip and some body parts in the floor. Some time after that I created a Graveyard stockpile and the dwarves moved  the body parts to the stockpile.

Some time later (maybe a 1/2 season) blood start to spill from the fortress door, flooding all my fortress (the "look" key gave me "<Killed Dward name> splat of blood" in the blood) and other dwarf got a mood going to the carpentry shop and began to scream "I need body parts"...

I stop playing the game.  :o

My Little question: how i solve this?

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 12, 2010, 01:46:25 pm »

If corpses that rot away leave skeletons instead of bones now, and skeletons can only be turned into bones at butcher's shops, and sentient creatures can't be butchered, does that mean that it's impossible to make anything out of the bones of sentient creatures?  No elf bone bolts?  No goblin skull totems?  No mermaid bone farms?  Someone tell me what I'm missing.

I'm pretty sure sentient creatures aren't butcherable in the vanilla game.
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #343 on: April 12, 2010, 02:18:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure sentient creatures aren't butcherable in the vanilla game.
No, but sentient creatures left to rot used to turn into bones that could be used for crafting.  Now we get skeletons that can't be used for anything yet never disappear.  I'll have to atom-smash them or something.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dewar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 12, 2010, 02:47:40 pm »

Hi. newbie here. Im was in my first fortress still learning how to play and something weird happened.  One Dwarf intered in berzerk mode, and began to hit the Caravan elf´s Mount. I didnt knew what to do to stop him, so i create my first squad and ordered them to kill the berzerk. They punched him to death, leaving the Equip and some body parts in the floor. Some time after that I created a Graveyard stockpile and the dwarves moved  the body parts to the stockpile.

Some time later (maybe a 1/2 season) blood start to spill from the fortress door, flooding all my fortress (the "look" key gave me "<Killed Dward name> splat of blood" in the blood) and other dwarf got a mood going to the carpentry shop and began to scream "I need body parts"...

I stop playing the game.  :o

My Little question: how i solve this?

Sounds like the blood is a bug, and for the body parts, the dwarf needs bones. You can get bones by butchering or otherwise killing a non-scientient creature, and then sending the skeleton to the butcher's shop.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 1178