Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122866 times)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #315 on: April 11, 2010, 02:07:24 am »

Anyone know why I can't see all the gems laying around my fort in the "Trade Goods Available to be Moved" screen? I know they are forbidden.

Well, you already gave the answer in your posting. ;)
If objects are forbidden, your dwarves arenīt allowed to pick them up, therefore they wonīt appear in the window where you can determine the trade goods that will be moved to the depot.
Unforbid the gems and they will appear there.

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 11, 2010, 04:29:41 am »

So I am sort of figuring out the new military orders/training system.  I have a small issue.

In the previous version I loved making brutal warrior societies where training was done with full gear and death was a glorious part of the training system.  The weak did not survive training muhahaha.

Needless to say the new system of training classes and controlled sparring is quite cool, but I really want unorganized viscous warrior live or die type training.  No classes, just messy barbaric sparring.

Is this even possible anymore?

Ranlo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 11, 2010, 06:03:11 am »

Military forces swiches to civil everytime they`re going to bed or having something to eat. They hate their life! Only nice bedrooms keep them sane. )

Is it some kind of bug, or it`s just me, who can`t manage a bunch of dorfs?

Glod Glodsson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 11, 2010, 07:01:15 am »

So I am extatic... I just found a nice place with an aquifier and a surface magma vent/volcano. I begin digging right next to the volcano, thinking that I can simply dig down in the adamite layer to avoid having to deal with the aquifier. Then the shaft is flooded...

Q: Cant you deal with aquifiers by digging next to volcanos, or is it just me who was unlucky?
DF Wisdom: Just because Urist killed a dragon bare handed, while in his birthday suit, does not mean he does not enjoy a cat meat bruschetta served with a keg of strawberry wine.

boyofcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 11, 2010, 09:05:44 am »

Why am I not able to scroll though menus, using + and - doesnt do anything?

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #320 on: April 11, 2010, 09:45:30 am »

Maybe check your key bindings, perhaps they're changed?  What menus are you trying to use?  For some, the up/down arrow keys are necessary.

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 11, 2010, 10:04:14 am »

Maybe check your key bindings, perhaps they're changed?  What menus are you trying to use?  For some, the up/down arrow keys are necessary.

Yes look at key bindings, I have to reset my z level up down keys every single time i start the game.  Just started since the new version.

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 11, 2010, 11:00:07 am »

Next time you fix it, hit save to txt.  It will automatically be fixed every single time you load the game from here on out.

Yes look at key bindings, I have to reset my z level up down keys every single time i start the game.  Just started since the new version.
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

Glod Glodsson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 11, 2010, 11:06:51 am »

Got two issues...
I have had ONE STONE WALL (as in 1x20 long) waiting to be constructed for a year now... and my masonry dorfs (they have masonry and arcitecture etc) are just standing there with "no job" next to their name... any ideas?

Secondly I keep getting "... cannot save stuff in barrel because the path is blocked" ... cant they walk across stockpiles anymore?

Hope someone can help...

EDIT: Ok, now the couch-potato virus has spread. 13 of my dorfs are just standing outside in the rain getting sad thoughts... there are no obstacles for them to go underground and no lack of work (got a large portion to be mined by miners, but they just stand there none the less)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:14:37 am by Glod Glodsson »
DF Wisdom: Just because Urist killed a dragon bare handed, while in his birthday suit, does not mean he does not enjoy a cat meat bruschetta served with a keg of strawberry wine.

NotABotanist

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Mad Computer Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 11, 2010, 11:36:23 am »

Got two issues...
I have had ONE STONE WALL (as in 1x20 long) waiting to be constructed for a year now... and my masonry dorfs (they have masonry and arcitecture etc) are just standing there with "no job" next to their name... any ideas?

Secondly I keep getting "... cannot save stuff in barrel because the path is blocked" ... cant they walk across stockpiles anymore?

Hope someone can help...

EDIT: Ok, now the couch-potato virus has spread. 13 of my dorfs are just standing outside in the rain getting sad thoughts... there are no obstacles for them to go underground and no lack of work (got a large portion to be mined by miners, but they just stand there none the less)

Sounds to me like you've run afoul of one of the new pathfinding bugs.  If I'm not mistaken, it has to do with the pathing map failing to update.  I've heard rumors that locking and unlocking a door will force a pathing update.  Failing that, a save and load should fix it.

Bob Kelso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 11, 2010, 11:56:35 am »

So I've been tooling around the new version for a couple minutes and I've noticed a couple of quirks.

First off, what exactly determines who will be the expedition leader upon embark? I kinda helped this one dude along and gave him novice in some administrative skills (negotiator, appraiser, record keeper, organizer, etc.) and checked out his attributes (Very good feel for social relationships, great deal of patience/willpower). It looks like this guy should be a shoo-in, but there's nothing on my nobles screen yet. No vacancies, nothing. I should be seeing some positions like Broker or Bookkeeper here at this point, right? I'm still working with my original 7.

And this one is most definitely a bug of some sort, but all 7 of my starting dwarfs have evidently slain upwards of 100 humans/elves/goblins/dwarves since the world's conception. I'm clearly peeking into some megabeast's kill screen; it's rather bizarre because the names aren't even the same:

Here's a dwarf:
http://img140.imageshack.us/i/what1.png/
Here are his "exploits" (keep in mind it's year 301 and this guy is only 56)
http://img684.imageshack.us/i/what2s.png/

All 7 of my dwarfs are like this.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 11, 2010, 12:28:17 pm »

In DF2010 you have to  appoint the broker, manager and the like for yourself.
Unlike in 40d they wonīt get  appointed for you from the beginning on anymore.

As for the expedition leadrr, I assume it it the 1st dwarf in the  group (either this, or the one with the most appropiate skills, not sure about this  as traditionally I give the 1st dwarf in the group all skills which make him useful in a positioon as leader/broker/manager)

And yes, if you donīt  see positions  like manager, broker, chief medical dwarf and the like in your [n]obles screen, it seemsto be some rarely encountered bug.
AFAIK it was dependant on the mix of skills you give to your dwarves upon embark.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:31:54 pm by Proteus »

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 11, 2010, 12:32:18 pm »

Hey mate,

did you hit "export to txt" after you set them? Else the changes only work for your current session.

---=== Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam ===---

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 11, 2010, 04:57:31 pm »

what are all these things in the new butchery for?

Hair and cartilage and nerve tissue, I can't see any use for, they just seem to sit there.

Horns and hooves and things, can make crafts from, and organs can be made into food, but I can't see any use for the other thingies?

I second this question! The only thing they do so far is clutter up my refuse...
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

Dumnoobie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 11, 2010, 05:19:31 pm »

Why did my war grizzly bear not only lose in melee combat to a goblin crossbowman, but the goblin was unharmed? (built a sheltered corner that the goblin had to walk around to fight)

It seems all my war animals in general were completely unable to harm a goblin ambush. (4 spear 1 crossbow, first attack)  Does war training remove their teeth and claws or something?

It was kind of annoying, I thought that massing war hounds and other elven oddities would allow me to bypass the evil military screen.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 1178