Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1090768 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11505 on: May 14, 2011, 07:10:30 pm »

A good source of food is quarry bushes, which yield five leaves when processed.
Just remember that they won't be eaten raw, you have to cook them.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11506 on: May 14, 2011, 07:11:21 pm »

My lizzards are piling up. what do I do? Do i just dump the traps? My dwarfs seem not to be able to tame them at the kennel.
HALP
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Music

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ la
    • View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: May 14, 2011, 07:11:42 pm »

Good thing i made a kitchen! Now were cooking.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: May 14, 2011, 07:14:37 pm »

Because then they do stuff instead of hunting for vermin.
So they don't enjoy chasing rats? They should make more of an effort to keep themselves amused then by playing instruments. Silly dwarfs.
I think i need more food.
This made me giggle so hard.

Also, if I were to add [PET] and [TRAINABLE] to the trolls, would my dwarves be able to tame and train the troll captives that we got during a siege?
The answer is yes, but I'm not sure about the other things.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: May 14, 2011, 07:14:56 pm »

My lizzards are piling up. what do I do? Do i just dump the traps? My dwarfs seem not to be able to tame them at the kennel.
HALP

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Lizard

Lizards are [PET_EXOTIC] meaning that one of the current bugs, namely with the Dungeon Master (LINK). They cannot be tamed at the moment. If you would like, you could edit the raws of your world to make them normally tameable. Then you could tame them, put some up for adoption, and/or sell them.

In addition, you could move the stockpile to the middle of the meeting room. I believe dwarves will still eat the closest thing, which in this case will be delicious, delicious lizard. Just make sure it's a very NICE meeting room.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: May 14, 2011, 07:16:26 pm »

HALP
You can get rid of them by stuffing them in a cage, hooking it up to a lever, then pulling the lever.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: May 14, 2011, 07:18:47 pm »

Food is overrated.  I don't keep cats so somebody has to catch those lizards and roaches running around.

Another thing I don't get about people who play this game is having big fancy rooms for all their dorfs.  My dorfs get one tile and a bed.  Maybe a door if I'm feeling generous.  Except the Nobles, their quarters are about as lavish as you can get living in a cave.
Shoes...

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: May 14, 2011, 07:19:06 pm »

Also, if I were to add [PET] and [TRAINABLE] to the trolls, would my dwarves be able to tame and train the troll captives that we got during a siege?
The answer is yes, but I'm not sure about the other things.
I suppose I'll have to mod the game into Goblin Fortress then, for !!SCIENCE!!

Also, modifying the trolls with [PET] and [TRAINABLE] would work, if it were not for the fact that they are intelligent. Dwarves aren't fans of slavery, according to vanilla settings. Just as a note for anyone from the future who may having searched something like "TRAINABLE Trolls" as I did when this question first popped up.
I haven't gen'd a world with slaver dwarves yet, so I'm not entirely certain if you ONLY need to make Slavery Acceptable, since in an older forum thread on the subject someone said that dwarves need to agree almost entirely with those barbarous hippies. At least as far as ethics go.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: May 14, 2011, 07:20:27 pm »

Another thing - if you make the traps from magma-safe materials (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Magma_safe) then you could regularly flood the stockpile with magma to remove the vermin, drain, and go capturing again. Recycle and all that. Magma needs to eat.

I -THINK- that would work.

Also, food's fairly easy. If you're short, send a brave dwarf or three to harvest the above-ground crops. Examine which ones you got, as you'll have to mill some. But the strawberries will keep the dwarves going for a long time. And, it's a renewable resource!

Then again, so are cats...
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Music

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ la
    • View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: May 14, 2011, 07:26:01 pm »

Can cats hunt for food? I thought they only caught rats and lizards.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: May 14, 2011, 07:26:17 pm »

Also, modifying the trolls with [PET] and [TRAINABLE] would work, if it were not for the fact that they are intelligent. Dwarves aren't fans of slavery, according to vanilla settings. Just as a note for anyone from the future who may having searched something like "TRAINABLE Trolls" as I did when this question first popped up.
Forgot about the intelligence, and for that matter the slavery bit. That's probably how goblins show up with trolls. They're intelligent, spawn right on their turf, and goblins are slavers. I wonder if slavery is more functional in DF then I ever gave credit for. ???

Edit: Corrected a misconception (large predator/roamer just allows it to spawn on the map as not vermin).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:39:32 pm by ArKFallen »
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: May 14, 2011, 07:27:14 pm »

Forgot about the intelligence, and for that matter the slavery bit. That's probably how goblins show up with trolls. They're intelligent, large predators, right on their turf, and goblins are slavers. I wonder if slavery is more functional in DF then I ever gave credit for. ???
I considered this, but if it were true you'd see goblins using more than just trolls, and elves selling more than just tigermen.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: May 14, 2011, 07:31:34 pm »

I considered this, but if it were true you'd see goblins using more than just trolls, and elves selling more than just tigermen.
Really? How many learning creatures spawn in their domain? I'm pretty sure they're the only ones, but I could be wrong. Where are tigermen in the RAWs anyway?

Edit: Found em and they spawn right in forests and have large predator. But also [PET]... ???
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:34:04 pm by ArKFallen »
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11518 on: May 14, 2011, 07:32:19 pm »

Can cats hunt for food? I thought they only caught rats and lizards.

You misunderstand. The cats ARE the food.

RE: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Butcher

Music

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ la
    • View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: May 14, 2011, 07:36:43 pm »

Well you do look tasty CognitiveDissonance.
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1178