Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1093031 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11400 on: May 11, 2011, 08:07:11 pm »

Replace your leader.
Easier said then done.
Going to the (n)obles screen, you can (r)eplace your current expedition leader or mayor. I think that's what he meant.
I didn;t know you could fire an elected leader...

Regardless it doesn't seem to have worked. I got the diplomacy stymied message once, but I still have 17 liaisons out there.

I'm seriously considering turning invaders back on so they get killed.

Nick

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11401 on: May 11, 2011, 08:12:29 pm »

Replace the expedition leader and any others (barons etc) with vacant. They'll re-elect themselves, but it'll turn the diplomats away.

It works with one diplomat anyways.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11402 on: May 11, 2011, 08:13:13 pm »

If I burrow a Dwarf without bed, food and alcohol, will it get out of burrow to get those things, or die / go unhappy? If I could safely make burrows without acess to basic provisions, that would make some things easier, apart from "unable to access item" spam.
Dwarves WILL leave a burrow to keep alive.  Which means they can run from goblins and get food and water.  But they only do it when they have to.  So dwarves in a burrow have to be close to starving or dehydrating before they leave.

They'll sleep on the ground in the burrow if there's no bed in it though.  Which gives bad thoughts.  Same with nearly starving.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11403 on: May 11, 2011, 08:25:36 pm »

They won't nearly starve, but they may get an unhappy thought for being hungry and thirsty. The only time they should get an unhappy thought for starving/dehydration is if they're working in their burrow, in which case they're more motivated to get the job done at the expense of their happiness.

Think of burrows as not all-restrictive, but more like a strict general guideline. Dwarves may only perform jobs within the burrows outside of the necessities, and the necessities are food, booze, and running blindly from goblins. They'll walk wherever they want as long as it's for a job in the burrow.

Outside of the bed, I think you may also want to include a table and chair for them to eat at. Include food and drink at your own risk, they'll eat/drink at their luxury if you do. You get more dwarf-power for less booze if you don't.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11404 on: May 11, 2011, 08:28:56 pm »

Savolainen5
Set squad bolts to 500, build something like 1000-2000 bolts, set uniform to crossbows only, recreate squad if it doesnt help. They tend to claim forbidden or unreachable bolts...

Mein got!  Thanks for the advice.  Except I think the reason they weren't taking any bolts was because the militia captain had died and I didn't notice! =S
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #11405 on: May 11, 2011, 09:16:20 pm »

Does the ocean ever freeze? I embarked on a cold ocean biome and it wasn't frozen in the beginning of the year like I expected. On top of this it's never frozen in a temperate biome either. Just making sure I'm not chasing an impossible thing here.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11406 on: May 11, 2011, 09:22:07 pm »

I believe that yes, oceans can freeze in the right biomes.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11407 on: May 11, 2011, 09:24:36 pm »

Yes, but it's a real pain when it unfreezes :/ Be careful and expect crashes.

Try embarking in a freezing biome to be sure.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #11408 on: May 11, 2011, 09:28:26 pm »

Hmm, well, the ponds on my map froze. Guess I'll just wait and see. Thanks!

Byttingen

• Bay Watcher
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
« Reply #11409 on: May 11, 2011, 09:32:36 pm »

>:( One of my dorfs dodged a badger and fell into the moat, whereupon she promptly drowned. How can I retrieve the corpse without losing more dwarves? I want to prevent the "had to endure the decay of a(n) X"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11410 on: May 11, 2011, 09:43:13 pm »

You can pump the tile dry, or drain the moat into a larger underground cistern with a grate to block the corpse.
Is this moat able to be sealed off from the source?

Jackledead

• Bay Watcher
  • [BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11411 on: May 11, 2011, 11:44:27 pm »

Got a question here.

How long should i let a generated world run while making it, i usually do 100-300 for the convenience, although on some "Lets play" videos people have their worlds in the thousands...

Any ideas?
Battle Axes.
Make you feel like a Lumberjack!

More like a Limberjack
-bitesh

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11412 on: May 12, 2011, 02:26:24 am »

Got a question here.

How long should i let a generated world run while making it, i usually do 100-300 for the convenience, although on some "Lets play" videos people have their worlds in the thousands...

Any ideas?

I usually don't generate much past 100, or 200 if I'm playing around with it.  I haven't genned a world that long in a long time, as I tend to max out the number of megabeast and demon types, this causes worldgen population to barely keep up with death toll.  Genning too long leaves open the possibility of goblins/elves/humans/dwarves dying out.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11413 on: May 12, 2011, 07:41:07 am »

I think the reason they weren't taking any bolts was because the militia captain had died and I didn't notice! =S

Aye, that would do it.  I ran into a similar problem myself.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11414 on: May 12, 2011, 07:44:28 am »

How long should i let a generated world run while making it

However long you want it to go.  The default is 250 years.

i usually do 100-300 for the convenience, although on some "Lets play" videos people have their worlds in the thousands...

The default used to be 1050 years, and in fact it may still default to 1050 years in advanced world gen mode, which I consider a bug, since the default is 250 years in the standard world gen mode.

Several versions ago, toady dramatically increased the amount of stored state for world gen history (around the time the cities started sprawling farmland), which meant that the old default of 1050 years was ridiculously huge, and so he dropped it down to a much more reasonable value....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 1178