Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1093058 times)

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11385 on: May 11, 2011, 02:43:10 pm »

OK, I'm sure this has been asked a billion trillion times, but how does one get one's marksdwarves to equip ammunition?  I've got a good 200 bone bolts (I hate that they come in stacks of 5.  There's not a way to consolidate them, is there?) and I've made sure that the marksdwarves are assigned bolts (of any material) in the Ammunition screen of the military menu (and that the hunters get none, since I don't need hunters).  Yet, for some reason, they just aren't picking up any bone bolts, even though I've assigned them some...
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Byttingen

• Bay Watcher
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
« Reply #11386 on: May 11, 2011, 03:18:25 pm »

Got another one. If I hollow out a WHOLE z-level (for tree farming) do I need to install supports?

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11387 on: May 11, 2011, 03:44:49 pm »

If I burrow a Dwarf without bed, food and alcohol, will it get out of burrow to get those things, or die / go unhappy? If I could safely make burrows without acess to basic provisions, that would make some things easier, apart from "unable to access item" spam.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11388 on: May 11, 2011, 03:45:12 pm »

Ok. My question is quite strange. I've been playing df for ten months now, and you could say that I'm generally good. However, there is still one mistery I have to solve...

How can I see my FPS? Hehe, I searched in every menu of the game, and I still haven't managed to see my FPS...

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11389 on: May 11, 2011, 03:51:31 pm »

It's under FPS in the init.txt file.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11390 on: May 11, 2011, 04:18:13 pm »

Got another one. If I hollow out a WHOLE z-level (for tree farming) do I need to install supports?
The map edges are walls and support themselves, so I'd think not.
If you want to check this anyway you could mine out a little tube on the map edge somewhere, make it 3Zs deep, build a hanging scaffold to reach the second level's map edge, build a construction or support next to it, remove the hanging scaffold, and viola 'tis done. If it falls then you'll need a support, and if it doesn't...well cheese for the Dwarves! ;D
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11391 on: May 11, 2011, 04:46:20 pm »

If I burrow a Dwarf without bed, food and alcohol, will it get out of burrow to get those things, or die / go unhappy? If I could safely make burrows without acess to basic provisions, that would make some things easier, apart from "unable to access item" spam.
They will not eat food or drink drinks from outside the burrow. If you leave them in the burrow, they will die/have to be fed by another dwarf.

OK, I'm sure this has been asked a billion trillion times, but how does one get one's marksdwarves to equip ammunition?  I've got a good 200 bone bolts (I hate that they come in stacks of 5.  There's not a way to consolidate them, is there?) and I've made sure that the marksdwarves are assigned bolts (of any material) in the Ammunition screen of the military menu (and that the hunters get none, since I don't need hunters).  Yet, for some reason, they just aren't picking up any bone bolts, even though I've assigned them some...
Do they have quivers? Are they currently active in the military, or in civilian mode?

Byttingen

• Bay Watcher
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
« Reply #11392 on: May 11, 2011, 05:31:14 pm »

I have 20 captured Elk Birds, most of which are being tamed. (I edited all of the PET_EXOTIC tags) Problem is, they're worthless. What can I use a mass of tamed Elk Birds for? (Other than my zoo, which already has a group of them.)

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11393 on: May 11, 2011, 06:08:52 pm »

You can use them for trade or food I believe.

I started on a very large and steep volcano. I started my mine pretty far from the wagon. After a while I went back to check it/disassemble it. But it looks like it was torn apart and all the supplies still there are scattered about. Did it fall down the volcano or something?

You can also use them as pets. Also possibly defense. As they are hostile before you tame them. They may be hostile to enemy's.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:11:46 pm by Zaphod »
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11394 on: May 11, 2011, 06:36:37 pm »

I have 20 captured Elk Birds, most of which are being tamed. (I edited all of the PET_EXOTIC tags) Problem is, they're worthless. What can I use a mass of tamed Elk Birds for? (Other than my zoo, which already has a group of them.)

In theory, they can be used as a source of eggs.

In practice, the fact that they're grazers means that keeping them from starving to death while sitting on nest boxes takes some micro-management.  Unless you specifically want the challenge of setting up an Elk Bird egg farm, just slaughter them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11395 on: May 11, 2011, 06:49:20 pm »

I started on a very large and steep volcano. I started my mine pretty far from the wagon. After a while I went back to check it/disassemble it. But it looks like it was torn apart and all the supplies still there are scattered about. Did it fall down the volcano or something?
Wagons can be destroyed by fire, and you can start an embark with the wagon already disassembled from steep terrain, but I don't believe that they'll just deconstruct with you not doing anything.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11396 on: May 11, 2011, 07:42:23 pm »

Do they have quivers? Are they currently active in the military, or in civilian mode?

They have quivers and they won't take ammunition in either mode.  Does the amount assigned make any kind of difference?
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11397 on: May 11, 2011, 07:46:07 pm »

The amount is for thw squad as a whole, so if you're using a small amount then it could effect things.
I don't use marksdwarves often, so I'm not very knowledgable in this area.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11398 on: May 11, 2011, 07:52:28 pm »

They're my only defence left on my 50-dwarf fort. =(  Stupid goblins have killed the rest and babies are keeping new migrants with skills from comin'!  Ah well, time to recruit from the civvies anyways...

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11399 on: May 11, 2011, 07:57:53 pm »

Savolainen5
Set squad bolts to 500, build something like 1000-2000 bolts, set uniform to crossbows only, recreate squad if it doesnt help. They tend to claim forbidden or unreachable bolts...
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 1178