Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The best change from the old version?  (Read 4950 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: The best change from the old version?
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 04:54:12 pm »

Deep deeper and more greedily and you will find... "stuff".  ;)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 05:01:07 pm »

Deep deeper and more greedily and you will find... "stuff".  ;)
Oh god man, if I dig and run into two
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am going to kill you.

But I am sure your only trying to SCARE me =P
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 05:38:25 pm »

Clearly DIGGING DEEPER can only result in

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2010, 05:57:46 pm »

The best change was the new farming setup. Now having a single dirt layer doesn't immediately mean you won't suffer from food shortages. In a riverless fort, you have to find a water-filled cave or an underground river, or at least be comfortable with early-fort mechanisms. It adds a nice level of difficulty that has allowed me to be free of the lazy excuse of "I'll just make a fort in a dirt-filled area".
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 06:02:22 pm »

The best change was the new farming setup. Now having a single dirt layer doesn't immediately mean you won't suffer from food shortages. In a riverless fort, you have to find a water-filled cave or an underground river, or at least be comfortable with early-fort mechanisms. It adds a nice level of difficulty that has allowed me to be free of the lazy excuse of "I'll just make a fort in a dirt-filled area".
Thats how I build my epic towers, only the farm is not on the dirt, it is on a muddy smooth stone floor made out of bricks.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 06:07:35 pm »

I love the underground. LOVELOVELOVE. I now have something to explore! Finally!

Finally, I really feel like I'm delving too greedily and too deep... I found a pocket of Adamantine and there weren't demons inside it. But now I feel encouraged to keep delving...

Interesting new mushroom types. Monsters that spawn at the edge of the map underground, to keep you on your toes.

And I don't think it's a spoiler to say that there is magma on every map... just have to delve greedily and deeply enough... :D

I delved quickly enough, and penetrated enough separate caverns within a space of a few minutes, that I discovered hundreds of veins of new minerals and gems and whatnot. They were still being announced over 20 minutes later. And NOT ONE OF THEM PAUSED THE GAME! Oh happy day!

The military system is interesting. I think I'll like it after I get used to it.

There's also one little thing that struck me. My engravers are engraving historic events which I did not personally witness. A human striking down another human at some battle, a dwarf holding up a pair of leggings when I don't even have a cloth/leathermaking shop... I get the feeling that there is history in the world that my dwarves remember, and they're celebrating it when they engrave.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 06:09:44 pm »

Iton: So what do you sleep in, Urist?

Urist: A very nice goblincap bed! I love it very much as it is the only piece of furniture in my part of the hole in the dirt!

Iton: *Stab* I'LL SHOW YOU TO BETRAY YOUR HERITAGE TO THE GOBLINS!

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 06:27:14 pm »

So randomly generating creatures? not soon before we get a Chumbaka, a fourheaded creature with a torso, lowerhip, one leg, a horn on each head, and a tail.
Story of my life.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 06:31:11 pm »

I can't wait until I get a chance to go Ronso hunting. Finish what was started so long ago...MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2010, 06:34:04 pm »

I have found a CAVERN!!!!!!

but I am scared that now a billion creatures will kill all my un-trained dwarves.
Story of my life.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2010, 06:37:51 pm »

but I am scared that now a billion creatures will kill all my un-trained dwarves.

Yes and HELL YEA! DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2010, 07:23:51 pm »

Yes and HELL YEA! DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!

good thing the staircase is in the middle of the air! so they have to fly, or crawl on the cei... nope not even crawling on the ceiling, so they must fly.

I also am not going down there, as I am feared of the GCS silk web I see everywhere
Story of my life.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2010, 07:39:56 pm »

Materials system, definitely. Say goodbye to bone bolts being the end all-be-all of fort defense, hello lead ballista heads!
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2010, 07:42:54 pm »

Materials system, definitely. Say goodbye to bone bolts being the end all-be-all of fort defense, hello lead ballista heads!
yeah, complete golden armor and weapon is a lot heavier and dents easier than you think.
Story of my life.

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2010, 07:46:17 pm »

Toss up between the underground and the new military... well one wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun without the other.

I started on an evil mountain range and the underground is full of zombified critters, I recently had a zombie gremlin, and I sent in three dwarves unarmed to kill him, they spent ages trying to wrestle him to death but you can't kill a zombie by breaking it's arms and legs, they all became legendary wrestlers and fighters before I conscripted my woodcutter and gave him an axe to finish him off. Still, legendary wrestlers are always good to have, now I just have to train them to use weapons so they can actually kill some zombies.
I had my entire 7 dwarves get legendary wrestler and fighter by fighting off what seemed an endless wave of troglodytes. Basically, all the troglodytes had yellow/red wounds all over their body and were constantly unconscious and had to bleed out to die.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4