Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56459 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2010, 09:33:12 pm »

So... I found a... something... made of slade. When I discovered it (along with a sea of magma of course) I got the message "You have found a curious underground structure." Upon reaching the slade to mine it, it appears to be un-minable. Which leaves me with 2 options: A: search for an entrance into this structure and B: mine out all around it so it caves in to see if it was hollow.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP!!!! UBER SPOILERS AHEAD
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:44:53 pm by alway »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2010, 09:39:54 pm »

So the first thing I did was dig STRAIGHT DOWN in a massive stair case. I hit coal. OK, lucky break I thought! Kept digging, and kept hitting good things over and over again. Soon it dawned on me.

OH GOD NO!!!! Toady has heard us bitching about looking all over for a single good site in an entire map for good minerals, and even then looking hard in that site for anything and so has given us exactly what we wanted with MASSIVE amounts of ore! This is horrible! The art of looking for veins is dead! The biggest challenge of DF is over!

Then I kept digging down, and hit a chasm.

At this point in time I took back everything I ever said about D2010, THIS GAME IS SO FREEKING AWESOME! I love it! So very much! An entire underground water way complete with some critters running around. So very happy and exatly what I expected to find when I first started playing Dwarf fortress.

Then I kept digging down, and I hit a lava ocean.

And I cried of happiness, because this is still in development, even though it is perfection in itself.

Toady is a god, anybody who says otherwise is heading for the lava chamber.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2010, 09:43:29 pm »

The military interface is cool, if a bit confusing. Why aren't my militiadorfs training?
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2010, 09:47:54 pm »

Some testing in arena mode has shown that it seems to be basically impossible to kill a bronze colossus with weapons.  Specifically, four different highly-skilled, adamantine-clad dwarves with adamantine weapons (and then, out of desperation, a giant with an adamantine two-handed sword) have managed to do nothing more than give it red wounds over its entire body.  It's still conscious, although the dwarves are skilled enough to avoid its attacks.  It's missing both hands, both feet, both its ears, and its nose, and has a break/fracture/slash open on every single part of its body . . . and it's not dead.

EDIT: Wow.  It broke the giant's hand, making it drop its sword.  True to life, trying to scratch bronze with your fingernails doesn't work too well.  The colossus is managing to severely damage the giant . . . I think it's going to kill it.  And the colossus still won't die.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:54:45 pm by Shinziril »
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2010, 09:53:58 pm »

So what your saying is that if we kill a BC, we have basically won.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2010, 09:55:53 pm »

Just had a single ogre eradicate my entire fortress before the first season was up.
No, he wasn't a killing machine, my fortress starved to death wrestling him for most of the season with 6 dwarves and 6 dogs piled on his exhausted, unconscious bulk punching and biting with no apparent effect. It was like that time they tried to choke a zombie fox to death...

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2010, 10:03:33 pm »

Wow, I'd ...forgotten... how awesome the Forgotten Beasts were going to be. Spoilers:

So what your saying is that if we kill a BC, we have basically won.
There seems to be a bug with several of the non-regular-flesh creatures, in that they can't be killed with conventional weapons. You can kill an iron man, but not a blizzard man, and the bronze colossuses and skeletal anything just won't go down. Ever.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2010, 10:15:36 pm »

What weapon skill will allow a miner to attack with the pick he is carrying? I need military miners to dig dig dig, in a mine, though we don't know what we're digging for.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2010, 10:20:51 pm »

HOW DO I FARM, MY DWARVES ARE GONNA STARVE UNLESS WE CAN LIVE OFF HORTICULTURE AND TRADING ALONE, AND HORTICULTURE CANNOT BE BREWED 
Thank you based dwarf.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2010, 10:22:44 pm »

So, now that I did my "Dig until my dorfs die" fort, I decided to try a real fort.  I chose an island far, far away from any glaciers, and I got this:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8338-roadpick

Yes.  The entire ocean is frozen.  The ponds are okay though.

In other words:  I love this hilariously inconsistent game!
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2010, 10:23:23 pm »

HOW DO I FARM, MY DWARVES ARE GONNA STARVE UNLESS WE CAN LIVE OFF HORTICULTURE AND TRADING ALONE, AND HORTICULTURE CANNOT BE BREWED 

You have to make soil into mud by putting water over it (its a bug)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2010, 10:25:13 pm »

I'm not sure if this is something unique to the new version, like a minor bug of some sort, but my bookkeeper just spent two months working in his office (not unusual), with a barrel of rum in his left hand (Slightly unusual). After the two months, he got up, went to the stockpile, and drank some more. Urist McBukowski?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2010, 10:28:28 pm »

And I cried of happiness, because this is still in development, even though it is perfection in itself.

Toady is a god, anybody who says otherwise is heading for the lava chamber.
He speaks the truth!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2010, 10:29:32 pm »

Upon further testing, it seems Bronze Colossi are vulnerable to being submerged in magma for a moderate period, or enough bursts of dragonfire.  A Fire Man even managed to wound one, although it died within a few seconds.  While they seem to be unkillable through weapons, melting them works nicely.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2010, 10:30:49 pm »

Registered just to comment on this!  Long-time DF player, and I'm loving the new version.

Thoughts on bronze colossi and other things:

Them's mah newbie thoughts.  When I get paid I will send a donation Toady's way, this update is amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36