Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56449 times)

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2010, 08:37:16 pm »

Did some quick tests in all the various modes. Arena mode is incredibly fun. Setting megabeasts against megabeasts, sending swarms of 50 animals against megabeasts, elves vs dwarves, so many fun things to do with it.

In my new fortress I haven't managed to do all that much. The health care system seems intimidating, but seems to work ok once I realized I needed to actually enable the various healthcare labors on my doctor dwarf. I've broke into a large underground cavern filled with spiderwebs, fungi, mud and water which seemed to be the perfect place to expand my farms, instead of messing with irrigation. Of course the second I started to try and make said farm, a bunch of naked mole dogs came out of no where and starting running all around my fort. They didn't attack anyone but it led to what must have been a very comical scene of five dwarves with a slight bit of military training chasing after them in every direction until they finally caught them all about 5 minutes later. Speaking of that, the military interface seems very very intimidating. I'm sure it will give my a far greater level of control but it's going to take a while to learn. Can't wait to see what else I can find.

My only real notes from adventure mode are that the underground is big, very big. I didn't get to explore all that much.

Finally with legends mode the titans and forgotten beasts look great, just like everyone else is saying.

Performance wise I haven't really noticed any noticeable slowdown. A few of the menus seem to be slightly unresponsive, but it's perfectly playable on my end.

N3X15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2010, 08:41:27 pm »

Farming is completely screwed up, doesn't help that I'm 10 z-levels and 50 tiles away from a river.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2010, 08:49:47 pm »

What the- Elephants. Wandering around inside my fort.

Also, hooves seem to be craftable with via "make horn crafts" but what do you do with hair and cartilage?
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2010, 08:52:15 pm »

Farming is completely screwed up, doesn't help that I'm 10 z-levels and 50 tiles away from a river.
needing irrigation on soil tiles is a bug.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2010, 08:57:12 pm »

It seems migrants are no longer as useless as they used to be! I just got a high master fish dissector! Which means one could theoretically get a high master weaponsmith/armorsmith! :D

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2010, 09:07:54 pm »

You can name a bed.

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2010, 09:08:43 pm »

Well that was pathetic, my woodcutter who was a competent axedwarf didn't even land a hit on a troglodyte and died instantly, while my mason who wasn't even a novice wrestler has held off 8 troglodytes so far.

EDIT: Make that 5, 3 are still unconscious, 1 he's still fighting, and the 4 others escaped.

EDIT EDIT: The 4 came back and swarmed him so I sent the rest of my dwarves to help. My dwarves are skilling up in wrestling pretty quickly too.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Dear god, so many dead troglodytes, and miasma. Two dwarves died in the fight, against 13 troglodytes. To top it all off I got migrants after the fight.
The aftermath:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:30:01 pm by Zruku »

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2010, 09:11:29 pm »

What the- Elephants. Wandering around inside my fort.

Also, hooves seem to be craftable with via "make horn crafts" but what do you do with hair and cartilage?

You should be able to make fur clothing.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2010, 09:14:42 pm »

If you change the ESC key to Space to make it like the old version; beware that you then can't type a space in the manager when searching for items to build.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2010, 09:15:48 pm »

Don't know if this is typical but there seems to be an abnormal abundance of resources at my site.  I just barely got my fort going and already I've struck magnetite, lignite, coal, native silver, some other ore and an abundance of gems.  Not that I'm complaining.  If this is the way stuff is distributed now I'm all for it.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2010, 09:24:23 pm »

Ya, apparently everything is everywhere now! It is quite awesome, since it changes the game a bit away from exploratory mining tunnels and towards exploring the underground.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2010, 09:25:59 pm »

he repeats concerned: how does one mod the raws to make forgotten beasts arena-able?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2010, 09:26:59 pm »

My personal impression is summed up in the line, "Wagon toppled by Ugithrash, Shade Banshee." It's beautiful.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2010, 09:27:38 pm »

he repeats concerned: how does one mod the raws to make forgotten beasts arena-able?
Impossible. Each one is unique; there is no forgotten beast that is generic enough to work.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2010, 09:30:50 pm »

sadness wells up within me.

I assume it's the same for titans?

So, as of now the most BAMF thing you can make in arena is a dragon?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36