Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released  (Read 122070 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released
« Reply #255 on: April 02, 2010, 02:03:46 pm »

Minor, but all the fish are duplicated on embark. Is this something to do with castes, or a system oddity.

It's castes, yeah.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 02, 2010, 02:07:59 pm »

Also there's bug with remains naming - looks like - {bat } - i think it could be {bat remains}, but secondary word doesn't shown.
Finis sanctificat media.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #257 on: April 02, 2010, 02:25:11 pm »

SOLDIER_COLOR]
Er.. is there meant to be a square bracket in front of that? (Taken from militia commander).

I'm not actually playing the new version yet- I have plenty of 40d forts I haven't finished with, the bug reports worry me, and I'm scared of having to learn how to irrigate and I don't want to play ASCII/work out how to install a tileset (considering how I managed to mod the last version I could do it, but with a pre-installed mayday likely to be released soonish I don't have the motivation)

Nevertheless I've been looking through the raws I will probably be tempted into the arena, adventure mode and maybe a quick fortress. Looks very interesting so far- if I get into modding it again it may be far better of far worse than last version thanks to the added complexity.

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 02, 2010, 03:37:20 pm »

With Wine on Mac (running through X11) DF 31_01 doesn't work properly. You can play, but the graphics screen is permanently stuck at the default size. There's no way around it, either, until X11 is updated.
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 02, 2010, 03:44:17 pm »

Awesome new features :D

Regarding the frame rate: I've found (as has Rafal99) that setting PARTIAL PRINT to YES in init.txt improved FPS from 35 to the cap of 100. Strange.

The new military screen seems excellent, though it took a while to get used to it. I think its non-obviousness exemplifies the need for some sort of quick tutorial at some point. For now, reading the Wiki's release information was quite useful in understanding it.

The ASCII is much, much easier to use if you modify the init to show many more tiles. I use
Code: [Select]
[WINDOWEDX:960]
[WINDOWEDY:600]
and
Code: [Select]
[GRID:120:50]
Also, "cat cancels store item..." has evolved into "Baby cancels clean self: too insane."
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:14:09 pm by zxcvmnb »

Reaper507

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 02, 2010, 03:46:30 pm »

Try this: http://www.winehq.org/
It's an emulator (ok, not technically an emulator) that can run windows programs on non-windows machines.

Using wine annoyed cuz with wine game freezes repeatedly, sometimes have to press ENTER twice and map moving is bugged. [chanting] We want native versions!  ::)

plenum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 02, 2010, 04:26:56 pm »

Also there's bug with remains naming - looks like - {bat } - i think it could be {bat remains}, but secondary word doesn't shown.
Don't forget to report this here:
We have a new bug tracker at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/
If it's not reported already! ;)
Protect diversities: biological, ecological, cultural.
This yields colorful future to our (grand)children.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 02, 2010, 04:31:41 pm »

Don't forget to report this here:
We have a new bug tracker at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/
If it's not reported already! ;)

Don't bother for that one, it's known.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 02, 2010, 04:55:20 pm »

Not sure if this is a bug or intended behavior, but digging a down staircase results in an up staircase immediately below it, even if if an up/down staircase is designated. The workaround I've been using is to ramp an adjacent square, remove the staircase, and (C)onstruct an up/down stair.

Could not reproduce, probably a fluke.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:31:41 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 02, 2010, 05:37:57 pm »

I'm so happy it's released. Just a few weeks, and the acid rain should be out.
Forgotten beasts were a great idea by the way, it really improves the game. Real-life mythology is filled with things like half-serpent, three-eyed lions, so it gives it a feeling of myth rather than boring, generic, heard-it-a-million-times fantasy.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 02, 2010, 06:46:18 pm »

Hey, been a while!
I wonder whether there is a simple buglist somewhere, with all known bugs for this version on a row.

Will wait a few weeks before testing, first exams :) (Thank god I have the power to keep myself from downloading XD)

EDIT: The only thing I found is this:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51953.0
But if that's all we have found in 3 days then this must be an extremely clean version!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:48:52 pm by Nether »

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 02, 2010, 08:22:55 pm »

Not sure if 23 pages counts as clean? ^^
But, after playing a bit, I"ve run into relatively few bugs...at least, major issues.

...The military confounds me to no end though, and I can't help but think I'm doing something.  I'll have to nose around the Wiki...and failing that, I'll post my plea for help on the forums.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 02, 2010, 09:24:56 pm »

I downloaded this yesterday before work (now that I got a job, the toad will be getting his due).

I didn't get to play it until this afternoon.

I miss all the features from 40d, and am looking forward to the graphics merge, but until then this is simply delicious.

Between learning to irrigate mushroom farms, learning how burrows work, and completely failing to gain a useful understanding of the military screen, my fortress, in the "Realm of Wonders" is doing quite badly.

There are twelve dwarves and four animals left, and we haven't even made it to spring yet. It's like the good old days, before I knew what I was doing.

Another default alert that actually puts dwarves in an agressive stance would be nice. Active/Train isn't really a useful mode when the goblins arrive.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 02, 2010, 10:22:32 pm »

Hmm....a dwarf was possessed, and made an artifact puzzle box, complete with menacing spikes and all.  I'm totally just waiting for the Cenobites to come and start taking my dwarves away.

So, military...  Apparently, it's very important to put a stockpile with some food in the barracks.  That way, they'll keep training and such, but won't neglect to drink/eat.  ...Though they don't keep training...they keep reverting to peasants and such.  But, the moment I tell them to go somewhere, they suddenly don their armor and area ready to go.

Apparently the part about needing to irrigate mushroom farms is a bug...although I kinda like it, adds just another hurtle to overcome.

I'm still very fuzzy on burrows...I 'think' I understand them a little, I just haven't fiddled enough.

My worst problem thus far was not having any real weapons when one of my dwarves went berserk.  My militia went at him with training weapons, and while he didn't really hurt them, it took the lot of them forever to take the berserk dwarf down.

The option to keep bones also seems to have vanished?  Unless I'm missing it somewhere.
It is rather interesting that you get so much more meat and bits from the butchers.  Hair, lungs, nervous system tissue, liver, etc....
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:26:56 pm by Tayron »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 02, 2010, 10:49:04 pm »

Yeah, I lol'd so hard when I found some sweetmeat on a kobold corpse.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31