Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released  (Read 122074 times)

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2010, 11:31:36 am »

My new fort of DF 2010 was called "firstborn" i set my leader to also be my commander. later in the year a mason, blacksmith and then a weaponsmith mooded, producing a bituminous coal throne and a platinum crown with the founding of firstborn detailed on it in alder, as well as a platinum mace with fire agate spikes... it was awesome -i encountered a forgotten beast shortly after that, an eyeless humanoid with fan like antennae. i sent my leader and honor guard out to meet it, it seemed to be benign -but turned out just to be blind. it died after a single blow to the skull "collapsing the bone into the brain and ripping it apart" the mace lodged in his brain just before he died...
the fort later died out due to farming issues...

This game is FUN
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2010, 11:33:21 am »

Hi!

Also note that the underground farms seem to be misleading in their warning messages (I have not done underground farming in ages, so I am just reporting other people's experiences):

While you may be able to create a farm plot, if even one tile of it is not watered, no seeds will be planted and some error about the seeds, I think, is given.

Deathworks

P.S.: Once your first fortress is ruined, start digging down - it is quite interesting.
P.P.S.: What civs does your civ screen list?

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2010, 11:33:57 am »

I have a question:

Why do giant tigers have the [trAINABLE] tag?
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 02, 2010, 11:34:55 am »

Fantastic. Truly fantastic. That is the only response that I can give to this.

However, I understand that no graphics sets have been created that can be used effectively with this version, correct? I mean, it's only been out for a day. It's not like we're expecting them to update a tileset on a vast scale in a day.

As I find it difficult to understand the current ASCII format, I shall amuse myself by inspecting the wiki on a variety of features, most likely the new military positions and whether or not Generals actually exist, as opposed to militiamen.

I must also ask as to what the Forced Administrator is, as one of his details appears to be "LAW_MAKING".

Its been on the wiki since the new release was, well, released  ;)

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Tileset

Ah, fantastic! Perhaps I am expecting too little of people. I shall use it right away.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2010, 11:40:32 am »

Fantastic. Truly fantastic. That is the only response that I can give to this.

However, I understand that no graphics sets have been created that can be used effectively with this version, correct? I mean, it's only been out for a day. It's not like we're expecting them to update a tileset on a vast scale in a day.

As I find it difficult to understand the current ASCII format, I shall amuse myself by inspecting the wiki on a variety of features, most likely the new military positions and whether or not Generals actually exist, as opposed to militiamen.

I must also ask as to what the Forced Administrator is, as one of his functions appears to be "LAW_MAKING", and seems to control a "conquered region"?
Graphics are different from tilesets and the difference is really quite simple: the tileset is a file with a bunch of (mostly) two color shapes on it for drawing the whole ground. Default game takes everything from a tileset called curses. The mayday pack used one similar to Belial.
These are just a single rectangle image of mostly pink squares (in d## versions you could use png files that had actual tranparency instead of pink fill.)

Graphics are used exclusively for living things that move around the map except for vermin. A text file specifically directs any animal/person to a full color image file and says what square of space in it to use. You could make graphics shaped like letters if you wanted but they don't automatically get adjusted to yellow or red or such.
This works very much like a tileset but it just isn't as hard coded.

But who am I kidding? You weren't interested in learning how it works  ::)
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2010, 11:42:48 am »

DF 0.31.01
One small step for games. One giant leap for Gamers.
Properly, it would be:
DF 0.31.01
One small step for [a] game. One giant leap for gamekind.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

xxicemanx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2010, 11:49:55 am »

Because I can't for some reason log on to the Mantis Tracker, I'll post it here instead. I've had a 1050-year long Age of Myth. I don't think that's supposed to happen. Or is it?

It switches to the Age of Legend after a certain percentage of megabeasts die.  Megabeasts are much harder to kill now, which means that most of them survive to 1050 (the default "End Year" in world gen params), and the age doesn't change.  So this isn't a bug per se.

Hmm i've generated 3 10,000 year old worlds and haven't left the age of Myth in any of them lol

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2010, 11:54:00 am »

Is that you Deathworks?

HI.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2010, 11:54:26 am »

Hi!

Hmm i've generated 3 10,000 year old worlds and haven't left the age of Myth in any of them lol

Could you please check whether ANY megabeasts got killed during worldgen at all?

Especially the colossi might benefit from non-living immortality other people mentioned.

But then again, weapons seem to be toned down considerably (^_^;;

Deathworks

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2010, 12:15:23 pm »

Unicorns have elk fawns.

[CHILD:1][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:elk fawn:elk fawns]
Finis sanctificat media.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2010, 12:15:57 pm »

Hell yeah, freaking awesome

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2010, 12:24:31 pm »

Where's damblock?
How can i make my goblins much stronger?
Finis sanctificat media.

Huw_Dawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2010, 12:41:19 pm »

So at the moment, farming is impossible without somehow irrigating?
Urist takes over shop
Materials he has not
Pants now adorn halls

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2010, 12:42:23 pm »

I don't know if anyone's asked this, but are there eventual plans to put it large doors? Like say, 3 tiles across, perhaps even 2 tiles high?
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2010, 12:45:47 pm »

I don't know if anyone's asked this, but are there eventual plans to put it large doors? Like say, 3 tiles across, perhaps even 2 tiles high?
There is like a bloat or something for big gates.

For the non-living immortality, I've set a broze collosus and a dragon against each other in the arena. The dragon's fire is hot enough to melt the collosus to death.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31